"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #651
Master Chef

Has anyone else seen this on PBS? Yet another remarkable masterpiece by Ken Burns..

The Roosevelts: An Intimate History | Ken Burns America

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #652
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Don't tell Mrs. K, but I like her also.

I knew that emoticon would eventually prove to be good for something else. Maybe this one, too:

I think that first emotion is for really tasty food but I can see its use here as well. And, haven't you heard, all men are

Old 09-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #653
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Has anyone else seen this on PBS? Yet another remarkable masterpiece by Ken Burns..

I watched the first night and recorded the rest but haven't watched them yet. DH is out of town for a couple days, so I'm going to try to watch them before he gets back. He doesn't seem to have enjoyed the first episode as much as I did, but then it's sports ball season
Old 09-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #654
Master Chef

Andy, I think "Forever" won't last longer than one season - if that. It might be this year's "Mind Games". However, as you and Steve seem to think "Scorpion" is watchable for Sarah Shahi, I'll enjoy every episode of Ioan Gruffudd "Forever".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Anyone else watch Scorpion on Monday night?.
I didn't, but Himself did. Not one to get out of his chair while TV-viewing, and not much of a talker, it seemed like Himself came into the kitchen (where ELSE would I be??? ) during every commercial break to laugh over some flaw in the writing, chortling in disbelief over how wrong they got stuff from the way it works in the real world. The worse part is as he launched into what he had just seen, I would finish off his sentence by saying the correct way. That was so wrong because I have nowhere close to his knowledge regarding tech and science. I guess the writers want you to suspend reality for the hour the show is on?
Old 09-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #655
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
... He doesn't seem to have enjoyed the first episode as much as I did, but then it's sports ball season
Yup, it's ALWAYS "sports ball season". Well, unless you're a hockey fan. I'll have to remember that phrase for future use.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #656
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
However, as you and Steve seem to think "Scorpion" is watchable for Sarah Shahi, I'll enjoy every episode of Ioan Gruffudd "Forever".
Sarah Shahi is actually on "Person of Interest," but since you were busy ogling Ioan Guffaw Elmerfudd Gruffudd, we'll forgive you for the error.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #657
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...to laugh over some flaw in the writing, chortling in disbelief over how wrong they got stuff from the way it works in the real world...
As I mentioned above, it does stretch your logic a bit.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:49 AM   #658
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

Just turned it on and watching it now. I had to clear some space to record the rest of the series. I love that Peter Coyote is narrating it, I just love his voice.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:54 AM   #659
Chef Extraordinaire

had to clear out my dvr too. it' like 10 our 12 hours. haven't watched it yet.
(i think i missed recording the first episode).

i was thinking of buying the dvd set for my dad for christmas. is it all burnsian pan and zoom, again?
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #660
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Andy, I think "Forever" won't last longer than one season - if that. It might be this year's "Mind Games". However, as you and Steve seem to think "Scorpion" is watchable for Sarah Shahi, I'll enjoy every episode of Ioan Gruffudd "Forever".

I didn't, but Himself did. Not one to get out of his chair while TV-viewing, and not much of a talker, it seemed like Himself came into the kitchen (where ELSE would I be??? ) during every commercial break to laugh over some flaw in the writing, chortling in disbelief over how wrong they got stuff from the way it works in the real world. The worse part is as he launched into what he had just seen, I would finish off his sentence by saying the correct way. That was so wrong because I have nowhere close to his knowledge regarding tech and science. I guess the writers want you to suspend reality for the hour the show is on?
I thought that was the reason to watch TV...I've been watching TV wrong all these years. Suspension of disbelief is where it's at...I guess modern audiences want reality shows...I get enough reality life.