"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #661
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Has anyone else seen this on PBS? Yet another remarkable masterpiece by Ken Burns..

The Roosevelts: An Intimate History | Ken Burns America
Yup. And I will watch the reruns. Excellent!

Old 09-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #662
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I thought that was the reason to watch TV...I've been watching TV wrong all these years. Suspension of disbelief is where it's at...I guess modern audiences want reality shows...I get enough reality life.

I agree 100%. I NEVER watch a reality show. Fifteen minutes of content in a one hour show with the producers trying to create drama where there isn't any.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #663
Master Chef

Quote:
Has anyone else seen this on PBS? Yet another remarkable masterpiece by Ken Burns..

The Roosevelts: An Intimate History | Ken Burns America
I'm glad so many of you are enjoying it too. All the old pictures are just fascinating to me.

Ken Burns is a real master isn't he. A few years ago I bought this DVD and we were so inspired by it that we booked a riverboat cruise of the Columbia River to retrace the last leg of their journey.

Lewis and Clark | Ken Burns America

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #664
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I'm glad so many of you are enjoying it too. All the old pictures are just fascinating to me.

Ken Burns is a real master isn't he. A few years ago I bought this DVD and we were so inspired by it that we booked a riverboat cruise of the Columbia River to retrace the last leg of their journey.

Lewis and Clark | Ken Burns America

I have yet to see a bad series of his. So I will keep watching anything he makes until he makes one that is lousy. Looks like he has a lifelong fan.

Upcoming Films

Take a look for an excellent read and something to look forward to.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #665
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I agree 100%. I NEVER watch a reality show. Fifteen minutes of content in a one hour show with the producers trying to create drama where there isn't any.
I think the only one I watch is Pawn Stars. Mainly for the history lessons when he calls in an expert.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #666
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I think the only one I watch is Pawn Stars. Mainly for the history lessons when he calls in an expert.
I like that part of it too Addie, but I just hate the disrespect for one another with that family. ACK...

One reality show we really enjoy is American Pickers. They find the most interesting stuff, and the cast is so durn likable. All three of them are fun to watch. Steve is fascinated with all of Daniel's tattoos.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #667
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I like that part of it too Addie, but I just hate the disrespect for one another with that family. ACK...

One reality show we really enjoy is American Pickers. They find the most interesting stuff, and the cast is so durn likable. All three of them are fun to watch. Steve is fascinated with all of Daniel's tattoos.
I think it is endearing the way they have quasi adopted Chumlee. They do look out for him in their own strange way.

I find that after a while on AP, that mid-western twang irritates my ears. But I just love it watching them crawl and climb through what looks like just a pile of junk to find that one thing at the bottom that they just have to have. The Pirate loves AP.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #668
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Sarah Shahi is actually on "Person of Interest," but since you were busy ogling Ioan Guffaw Elmerfudd Gruffudd, we'll forgive you for the error.
If it helps, it's pronounced "Griffith"......or no, that probably confuses things even more.

(I did Welsh language in college. Fortunately I've forgotten most of it.)
Old 09-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #669
Executive Chef

Quote:
I'm just so glad all our favorite shows are back and none were eliminated for the new season. I record everything we watch and it makes watching a pleasure with FF commercials.

We'll stick with Person of Interest but I sure hated when they killed off the lady cop, Taraji Henson as she was terrific. And when Josh Charles of The Good Wife chose to leave....well,grrrr.

None of the new shows look interesting enough to me.
Damn, damn, damn! I wish I hadn't read that.

Please can we be warned about spoilers? I haven't seen that series of
P of I !
Old 09-25-2014, 05:29 PM   #670
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Damn, damn, damn! I wish I hadn't read that.

Please can we be warned about spoilers? I haven't seen that series of
P of I !
I apologize MC!! I hate spoilers too, so I'm really sorry but it happened several episodes before the end of last season in this country. I need to be more mindful of UK viewers.