Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not necessarily poor production standards, or badly recorded audio, or even people mumbling (excpet maybe British TV shows, lol), but rather the problem is often that the show was recorded for playback on a 5 speaker surround sound system. The dialog or spoken words are separated from other sounds like music and other effects. Spoken words are supposed to be played on a separate center speaker. Unfortunately, if it is being played back on a regular 2 speaker system, not all devices downmix the audio back together properly. But if you have a 5 speaker system, try turning up the center channel.

I have tinnitus something awful, so I often turn on the closed captioning to be able to understand what is being said without straining too much. Also, I just like to see how some words are spelled. Hopefully the captioner got them right.

I think I've read shows like Downton Abbey as much as I've watch them.

I have tinnitus something awful, so I often turn on the closed captioning to be able to understand what is being said without straining too much. Also, I just like to see how some words are spelled. Hopefully the captioner got them right.

That is a marvelous idea... Especially for the PBS shows I love...Made me go, "duh on me"

Ross

SO and I suffer from, "What did they say?" disease. I can't tell you how often we hit the backup button on the remote to listen to a specific bit of dialog we didn't get.

Very quick research reveals there is a device you can buy that amplifies the speech from TV shows so you can hear it better. There are also some sound bars you can buy that make voice more distinct so you can understand dialog better.

SO and I suffer from, "What did they say?" disease. I can't tell you how often we hit the backup button on the remote to listen to a specific bit of dialog we didn't get.

Very quick research reveals there is a device you can buy that amplifies the speech from TV shows so you can hear it better. There are also some sound bars you can buy that make voice more distinct so you can understand dialog better.

And even when we hit the back up button, we often can't make out what they said. That's when we resort to the closed captioning to figure it out. Some of the problem is most definitely with actors who mumble and don't know what it means to enunciate properly.

As I mentioned earlier, we have the Bose Sound Bar, and it helps me some.
SC wears hearing aids. He removes them and uses TV Ears when watching TV.

Last edited:
It's not necessarily poor production standards, or badly recorded audio, or even people mumbling (excpet maybe British TV shows, lol), but rather the problem is often that the show was recorded for playback on a 5 speaker surround sound system. The dialog or spoken words are separated from other sounds like music and other effects. Spoken words are supposed to be played on a separate center speaker. Unfortunately, if it is being played back on a regular 2 speaker system, not all devices downmix the audio back together properly. But if you have a 5 speaker system, try turning up the center channel.

Brilliant idea. Thanks.

Lol @ "rare".

I suppose I meant, I like watching these ancient b&w TV shows on air at the time I'm on my couch, even tho I could buy a DVD collection of that entire show. Oldies such as "The Outer Limits" (the original) and (One Step Beyond) don't air that much now. MeTV is the only one carrying the original Outer Limits. The only place I can catch another rarely seen TV show ("One Step Beyond") is on some local college TV station broadcast. Both these shows aren't as famous as The Twilight Zone and Star Trek, but I'm glad they're still on somewhere, late late. I still enjoy catching a good episode of each now and then. :cool:

Last edited:
This past Sunday evening, after dinner, I was searching
for a TV program that Mom would like... y'all remember
that she is spending the month of December with us?

Anyways, I just so happen to see that there were 2
new episodes of one pf her favorite PBS shows ...

Home | Last Tango in Halifax

It's a good thing too boy!
We would have missed that and Mom doesn't have
a DVR.

I watched the first 3 seasons on Netflix...

Last edited:
Has anyone else been watching the second season of "The Crown" on Netflix? I have a new respect and sympathy for Queen Elizabeth after watching the episode we watched last night (episode #6 "Vergangenheit"). What a shocking revelation...wow.

Both seasons have been well worth watching.

bucky thanks! love the video with Jacques P. Nice to know your own methods are supported by such a marvelous chef! I'm forwarding this to a friend who keeps asking me to "show" her how to make gourmet meals... LOL - I tell her to just follow the recipe but keep in mind you might have to make small adjustments along the way. A pound and a half of mushrooms added to the sauce for veal scallopini in a dish for two... "Mushroom Stew" with a piece of meat buried you just weren't sure what it was. :ermm: :LOL:

Kay I binge watched all of the episodes over a couple of days. Loved it! and then last night I watched a Tribute to the Queen for her 90th birthday. The home movies they showed were fantastic!

Just a note: A girlfriend was really upset with the boarding school episode. I don't know if many of you went to boarding school but I did. I can tell you it can be like that - most are just fine but like anything some are better, some worse.

I saw this show just a day ago. Anyone catch it? ....A show about how a smooth talking guy who parlayed his way from one managerial job to another got to be a top adviser to a state governor. He didn't want to get any further, he got tired of doing it... He didn't forge any documents...he pretty much talked his way thru. I laughed out loud.

Last edited:
I watched the American Masters documentary on Bob Hope last night. It was excellent. The rise of a great and natural entertainer, his service to our country, and then how he stayed around a little too long.

American Masters - A series examining the lives, works, and creative processes of outstanding artists.

There's also a good little video on PBS's Facebook page by Jacques Pepin, about following a recipe. https://www.facebook.com/pbs/videos/10156087110768675/

I am curious. Johnny Carson once mentioned when asked who his least favorite guest was. He stated that it was Bob Hope. He would notify the network to tell Johnny that he was coming on. He had a special he was pushing. Without an invite. And it was almost impossible to get rid of him. He didn't like Bob or his pushy ways.

Just out of curiosity, was this mentioned at all in the special?

Has anyone else been watching the second season of "The Crown" on Netflix? I have a new respect and sympathy for Queen Elizabeth after watching the episode we watched last night (episode #6 "Vergangenheit"). What a shocking revelation...wow.

Both seasons have been well worth watching.
I will put that on my list.

I am curious. Johnny Carson once mentioned when asked who his least favorite guest was. He stated that it was Bob Hope. He would notify the network to tell Johnny that he was coming on. He had a special he was pushing. Without an invite. And it was almost impossible to get rid of him. He didn't like Bob or his pushy ways.

Not that I recall. But Carson probably deserved it. He was known for being bit of a tyrant on his show and in life, so it would have taken somebody huge like Bob Hope in order to boss him around.

Johnny was a game show host turned talk show host. Bob Hope was Bob Hope.

For any interested, I saw one Tonight Show (that aired way back, 1979?) where each of Johnny's guests laid into him. He got royally roasted by each successive guest. It was brutal for Johnny. That taping is one of the tapings of the Tonight show that were mysteriously destroyed. I caught it live way back. OMG it was brutal for Johnny. They all totally brought him down to earth, even guest Diana Shore. That whole airing was some "weird wacky stuff", from start to end (as I remember). I don't suppose any of you caught that now destroyed taping of the Tonight Show? It was awkward, to say the least.

Last edited:
Darn, I wish I could have seen that show.

Carson could make or break a comedian's career by simply inviting he or she over to the couch after they did their set, or not. Supposedly, it was all on his whim.

I've been watching the new Star Trek: Discovery on CBS All Access recently. It is excellent! As good, or may better than any other Star Trek series IMO.

Even if you have never seen or liked Star Trek before, this is a series that I can see a whole new generation of fans enjoying.

We have a newish channel called Talking Pictures that shows old movies. Many of them are black & white including a John Wayne picture from 1930 which was on a few weeks ago. Last night they were running "Stage Door Canteen" (1943), a sort of flag waver about a forces canteen set up to entertain servicemen on leave bringing in "satrs" to sperform or otherwise help. It was very odd to see George Raft, player of violent thugs, in a dish-washing scene! Most of them are hilarious for all the wrong reasons when viewed from a 21st century point but the other afternoon they showed "Enchantnent", starring David Niven and Teresa Wright. One of my favourites - a good old-fashioned "weepy". I had a good wallow.

From what we've heard about Mr Carson over here he deserved Bob Hope!

Back
Top Bottom