"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-16-2014, 11:45 PM   #771
Master Chef

Oh, darn....I just checked and since I downgraded my satellite package last year, I don't get Bravo anymore. I liked Top Chef - but I kinda like all the competition cooking series.

I wonder whatever happened to the cowboy who won 'Next Food Network Star'??

Old 10-16-2014, 11:47 PM   #772
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Oh, darn....I just checked and since I downgraded my satellite package last year, I don't get Bravo anymore. I liked Top Chef - but I kinda like all the competition cooking series.

I wonder whatever happened to the cowboy who won 'Next Food Network Star'??
Cheryl, do you have Hulu? It's on there.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:06 AM   #773
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Cheryl, do you have Hulu? It's on there.
Well, crum. I had Hulu but I didn't watch 90% of the shows on there, so I cancelled it a couple of months ago.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:15 AM   #774
Master Chef

Well, I gave Scorpio the four show test and I've now canceled it. I had big hopes for it.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:13 AM   #775
Master Chef

Himself watches "The Mysteries of Laura" online and chuckles his way through each episode. Wednesday night we both watched it as scheduled. Oh my, is that funny! I do like Debra Messinger, so that could have a lot to do with it.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:18 AM   #776
Certified Cake Maniac

I love "The Mysteries of Laura". You are right, CG, Debra Messing is brilliant. The rest of the cast is great too.

I am really getting into Scorpion. It kind of reminds me of working with TB and his two partners in our Web Hosting/Developing Company. They are all super brilliant programmers but had know idea how to deal with customers. This lead to lost contracts and unpaid bills due to a lack of collection of payables. That is where I came in and ended up being made managing partner so they could do what they do best and I spoke both "programming" and "real life". Needless to say all three of them like the show but can't see the connection between it and them!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:00 AM   #777
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I love "The Mysteries of Laura". You are right, CG, Debra Messing is brilliant. The rest of the cast is great too.

I am really getting into Scorpion. It kind of reminds me of working with TB and his two partners in our Web Hosting/Developing Company. They are all super brilliant programmers but had know idea how to deal with customers. This lead to lost contracts and unpaid bills due to a lack of collection of payables. That is where I came in and ended up being made managing partner so they could do what they do best and I spoke both "programming" and "real life". Needless to say all three of them like the show but can't see the connection between it and them!
Typical <shaking head> I'm still enjoying Scorpion, it's the more real world of people like those on Big Bang Theory.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:04 AM   #778
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Typical <shaking head> I'm still enjoying Scorpion, it's the more real world of people like those on Big Bang Theory.
Having worked in the computer world for many years, I'm always dubious of shows that combine crime-solving with technology. First off, I don't know where these fictional, state-of-the-art crime labs find magical computers that are able to dig into every known database and display the results (cross-referenced, of course) with eye-popping graphics. But I want one.

Watch Hawaii Five-0 sometime. On average, I roll my eyes a dozen times per episode, and usually when they are shown in their flashy computer room. Most real life police organizations are using crappy obsolete computers running software that's at least 10 years old.

I like Big Bang, too, for its nod to reality. If you've ever noticed, Sheldon has a Dell AlienWare computer running Windows. That's exactly the type of computer you would associate with a geeky professor type. Often you'll see the characters using real apps like Skype, and searching Google.

I'll have to check out Scorpion.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #779
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I guess I ignore the tech and watch the human interactions. The characters on both shows remind me of so many people I have encountered in my life.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #780
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Having worked in the computer world for many years, I'm always dubious of shows that combine crime-solving with technology. First off, I don't know where these fictional, state-of-the-art crime labs find magical computers that are able to dig into every known database and display the results (cross-referenced, of course) with eye-popping graphics. But I want one.

Watch Hawaii Five-0 sometime. On average, I roll my eyes a dozen times per episode, and usually when they are shown in their flashy computer room. Most real life police organizations are using crappy obsolete computers running software that's at least 10 years old.

I like Big Bang, too, for its nod to reality. If you've ever noticed, Sheldon has a Dell AlienWare computer running Windows. That's exactly the type of computer you would associate with a geeky professor type. Often you'll see the characters using real apps like Skype, and searching Google.

I'll have to check out Scorpion.
I've noticed the same things, albeit on a less detailed level, as you Steve. Also, every good guy who is a computer geek can always break the encryption, breach the firewall or do whatever they need to do in mere seconds. It seems governments, big business and the "BadGuys" hire hacks to protect their data.

As I said before, we have to suspend our disbelief to be entertained.