"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #781
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post

Watch Hawaii Five-0 sometime. On average, I roll my eyes a dozen times per episode, and usually when they are shown in their flashy computer room. Most real life police organizations are using crappy obsolete computers running software that's at least 10 years old.
My sister works in a police forensics unit and is the person behind the computer. You are right, it is not half what it is on the shows. But I still find her work interesting. I always keep in mind that the shows are fictional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I guess I ignore the tech and watch the human interactions. The characters on both shows remind me of so many people I have encountered in my life.
Knowing the tech world, I do exactly the same as you - I love watching them interact (or stumble at it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

As I said before, we have to suspend our disbelief to be entertained.
Exactly!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:07 PM   #782
Master Chef

Quote:
... it's the more real world of people like those on Big Bang Theory.
You were never lucky(?) enough to watch your college-age son and his friends sit around the dining room table talking and playing card games. Sheldon, Leonard, and the entire gang do exist in the real world.

One of our kids was usually staying in my parents' home while I was restoring it before we put it up for sale. When The Boy was there, he would have a bunch of his old high school buddies over to play cards. They'd sit around drinking pop (or hot tea in our son and one friend's case) and discuss things like quantum physics, differential equations, and all sorts of things I had no idea what. They could have been plotting to blow up the world and I wouldn't have been able to alert anyone because I wouldn't have known it was happening. Then they'd get all normal-ish and decide to play "Survivor Poker". Winner got to pick a challenge for each loser. Strip to your waist and make snow angels on a 10 degree day? Needless to say, I never joined them in cards...

Old 10-17-2014, 10:28 PM   #783
Master Chef

LOL, CG....sounds like my brother and his friends back in the day.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #784
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
You were never lucky(?) enough to watch your college-age son and his friends sit around the dining room table talking and playing card games. Sheldon, Leonard, and the entire gang do exist in the real world.

One of our kids was usually staying in my parents' home while I was restoring it before we put it up for sale. When The Boy was there, he would have a bunch of his old high school buddies over to play cards. They'd sit around drinking pop (or hot tea in our son and one friend's case) and discuss things like quantum physics, differential equations, and all sorts of things I had no idea what. They could have been plotting to blow up the world and I wouldn't have been able to alert anyone because I wouldn't have known it was happening. Then they'd get all normal-ish and decide to play "Survivor Poker". Winner got to pick a challenge for each loser. Strip to your waist and make snow angels on a 10 degree day? Needless to say, I never joined them in cards...
Nope, not my kids (don't have any), I was with those kids through high school. I was, what is known now, a gamer. If we could have had a computer all of us would have had one. If D&D had been around, we would have been playing it. Plastic Pocket Protectors were big with my crowd.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #785
Executive Chef

Gold Rush's new season started last night. Looks very promising!
Old 10-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #786
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Nope, not my kids (don't have any), I was with those kids through high school. I was, what is known now, a gamer. If we could have had a computer all of us would have had one. If D&D had been around, we would have been playing it. Plastic Pocket Protectors were big with my crowd.
Before laptops were affordable, TB used to take his PC every Friday night to his friend/business partner's house to play Masters of Orion with two others who did the same. It wasn't easy to play online at the time and they would play for hours. Since I played it a little (when I worked for them) I was invited one Friday. Someone brought me a computer and I was amazed at how "into" it they all were. You didn't dare talk about anything besides whether or not the Psilons were going to invade your home world or what tech you wanted your ally to build and trade.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #787
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Gold Rush's new season started last night. Looks very promising!
Hmm, never heard of this one, but looked it up and it sounds good. I had a rather "infamous" relative in the Caribou Gold Rush, John Caribou Cameron, best buddy of Billy Barker.

Will have to check this one out.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #788
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
You were really a wild child.

CC, you could have felt younger if you played with them.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #789
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You were really a wild child.

CC, you could have felt younger if you played with them.
Making a snow angel half-naked would make me feel many things. Younger would not be one of them!
Old 10-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #790
Master Chef

Have not watch TV in almost two weeks and survived.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app