Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do any of you ever watch "Highway Through Hell? It takes place in Canada in British Columbia. It amazes me how those men raise the crashed trailers and so many of them are still drivable. Once they get them back on the road, the driver gets in his cab and drives away with a Thank You. And so many of these crashes are in the heart of a snow storm. Right now I am watching them get the driver out of his cab that has gone through the rail up in the mountains on a bridge. Both of his legs are pinned also. The crew is going to have to take him out via the bottom of the cab. And the ambulance is waiting patiently. The cameraman took a shot of what would have happened if the cab and his trailer had gone completely through the rail and to the bottom of the canyon. I watched and had to close my eyes until the camera was focused elsewhere.

This is a very nerve wracking show. But you can't change the channel. Will they get the trailer upright or not. Will they be able to save the driver and keep him alive? Two, three five hours later and all the time traffic is backing up.

I think I would rather watch all the blood and gore in an emergency room. This show is too nerve wracking. But I always watch it. It is on the weather channel.

Last edited:
No problem!

Saturday night, 8:30pm on NBC - Mama Mia! comes on TV. Mom was as happy as a 5-year-old on Christmas morning.

Monday night, 8pm on HBO - Robin Williams: Come Inside My Mind. Mom and I both have been waiting for this one.

Am I allowed to comment on a programme that I can't stand?

Paul Hollywood!!!

At the moment we are getting his "City Bakes" on permanent repeats (several times a day, seven days a week!!) on "Food Network UK" and he keeps appearing on terrestrial television. If you don't get this on your TV, it's a show-off, "Look at me - I'm Paul Hollywood, aren't I wonderful" production. Consists of him travelling round the world telling chefs and bakers, who have been in the business for 4 or 5 generations, how to make their signature dishes "properly" and "better" . He's ignorant, rude and arrogant.

In a "Bake-Off" programme he tried to tell Mary Berry how to make cakes - the woman is the doyenne of baking and has been at it since before he was born! Her look when he was trying to patronise her (and not succeeding) was worth the television licence money!

I slept through the whole day and all the events. Every bit of it is just a repeat of every July 4th. I have been several time to the Esplanade to see the concerts and fireworks. And so have all my kids. I think living in Boston and being surrounded by all its history of the start of this country, tends to make a person blasé about the whole subject after a while. I know I am sick of taking trips to Charlestown and taking visiting guests, or Girl Scouts and other groups to go on the Constitution (Old Ironsides) and going to the top of Bunker Hill. Then they act surprised when they have to go through the same security check as you do at the airport. Including children.
I can forgive those colonials for wanting independence but I can't forgive them for wasting all that tea!!!

I hope you all enjoyed "the fourth of July".

Vintage 30 and 60 minute TV shows. They're not showing up lately. The Outer Limits, One Step Beyond among a few. Shows like that only come on late at night and are like comfort food to me. Hell, I even remember Dark Shadows, even tho I didn't follow it.

Last edited:
Started, a while ago, watching Blue Bloods from the beginning. On season 5 now. Love the show. But oh, my! Do they drink like a fish. Do people really drink this much? The alcohol flows like a river. I mean, I am not a stranger to drinking, I am from Ukraine after all, but not like this. Party, food, dancing and drinking. But to come home and pour yourself a glass of whiskey and just sip on it? Why?

Started, a while ago, watching Blue Bloods from the beginning. On season 5 now. Love the show. But oh, my! Do they drink like a fish. Do people really drink this much? The alcohol flows like a river. I mean, I am not a stranger to drinking, I am from Ukraine after all, but not like this. Party, food, dancing and drinking. But to come home and pour yourself a glass of whiskey and just sip on it? Why?

I'm not necessarily knocking TV shows these days. Most writers of TV shows these days churn out the same. They don't have to have much talent. Hollywood factory escapism. If I had to sit quietly and watch them, I might start to squirm in my seat after awhile. That's just me.

Last edited:
We finished a 7 episode Netflix limited series last night..

Godless... A heavy western staring Michelle Dockery (Lady Mary on Downton Abby), Jeff Daniels, Sam Waterston and others..

I say "heavy western" as there is a lot of blood and guts and unladylike
dialog..

We thought it to be very well produced and acted.. Too bad there will not be a second season..

Ross

I had high hopes for the new "Yellowstone" and the conclusion will be the next episode.

Frankly, I can't stand any of the members of this sick dysfunctional family. It's been like watching a train wreck and the only good thing is it makes my family look like saints.

I was longing for something like the nostalgia of Bonanza.....not hardly!!

Last edited:
I had high hopes for the new "Yellowstone" and the conclusion will be the next episode.

Frankly, I can't stand any of the members of this sick dysfunctional family. It's been like watching a train wreck and the only good thing is it makes my family look like saints.

I was longing for something like the nostalgia of Bonanza.....not hardly!!

I'm with ya on that, Kay. Yellowstone is much darker and negative than I expected it to be.

I'm hard pressed to think of any 'feel good' moments in this new series. The language I can deal with, I'm no prude there - but there seems to be no redeeming qualities in any of the characters. Don't even get me started on Beth :glare:. Heck, even the little grandson Tate is obnoxious and mouthy. LOL

I get your point Charlie. On the other hand, I've only seen Frank and his Dad share a whiskey during a serious conversation, and once in a while with Erin.
I've seen all I ever want to see of hard drinking problems, but from what I can see, I don't think they have them.

Remember, Tom Selleck also stars as "Jessie Stone". Now that lovable law man has a real problem. I hope we're due for another episode of Jessie Stone before long.

We love coronation st here, been watching for 30 years. Recently watched an English programme that was 10/10, bit brutal but I'm ok with that. It's called peaky blinders.

Russ

...Remember, Tom Selleck also stars as "Jessie Stone". Now that lovable law man has a real problem. I hope we're due for another episode of Jessie Stone before long.
I was just thinking of Jesse this evening. I plan on getting the movies from the library (they have all of them) once baseball season is over...somewhere around the end of October, fingers crossed.

Kayelle, according to Wiki, there is a yet untitled next movie that should be out (or, maybe, being filmed) this year.

I think Mom was disappointed in Yellowstone, both because of the language and because of the way some of the characters behaved. We'll watch the finale on Wednesday but I don't think we'll watch the next season.

Cindi, my mom wouldn't have liked Yellowstone either, for those very reasons. I'll watch the season finale Wednesday, and that may determine if I go for Season 2 or not. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom