Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, we’re watching MTM reruns, as we are wont to do late at night as we go to bed. It’s the one in which Lou is supposed to go to Las Vegas, but it’s the middle of winter and MSP closes down because of a blizzard.

The thing is, Lou’s friend calls him from Vegas. From the poolside at his hotel.

If you’ve ever been to Las Vegas in February, you’d know that this particular episode must be taking place in some alternate universe. Hotel pools are NOT open in February in Las Vegas. It’s very very cold here in February. “Desert” means dry, not hot!

One thing I have been looking at on the Cooking Channel is the Japan Reboot of the Iron Chef show.

You can look at a bunch of episode on VOD.

The beef battle had one the of the cutest looking dishes I have ever seen from the Japan version of the show.

I certainly wanted that Waygu Beef!!!

Saturday night at 11pm is the Tofu battle.

Last edited:
Thanks, kleenex. I used to love the old Japanese Iron Chefs.

We're watching Home Alone and Home Alone 2 tonight.

Thanks, kleenex. I used to love the old Japanese Iron Chefs.

We're watching Home Alone and Home Alone 2 tonight.

Other battles in this season include cheese, bamboo shoots, Japanese lobster, pacific cod, and strawberries in a deserts only battle.

One super simple Bamboo shoots battle dish was just:

One strawberry covered with some liquid nitrogen cooled bamboo shoots that got pulverized into like snow in the food processor.

Vikings starts up again tonight on The History Channel.

Popcorn and bearded axe are at the ready.

Over dramatized series, WAY over dramatized to be on the History Channel. I watched a repeat they're re-showing. 20% history and 80% Hollywood factory crap entertainment (sorry buckytom). Shame on you History Channel.

I prefer watching the excellent lesser-dramatized "Rome: Rise and Fall of an Empire" series from 2008.

"Vikings" producers and writers turned a History Channel series featuring the vikings into "Days of Our Lives." That "Vikings" series should have been on another channel other than the History Channel (IMO). Then I might appreciate it more as the entertaining fluff piece that I found it to be (again, sorry buckytom). :LOL:

Last edited:
There were a lot of gruesome studio battle scenes and pillaging in the series production of "Rome: Rise and Fall of an Empire." Granted. The "Vikings" series however is like...one day in the life of a viking (and all that), with some "history" relevance.

Last edited:
No need to apologize, Cas. Not every show is for everyone.

Outside of the collapsing of timelines (many of the characters are based on real people, but they didn't all live together at the same time), I think they did a good job portraying Viking culture, and their conquests of England, Frankia, and other places.

Yeah, there's some soap opera-like stuff, but unless you just want a dry history lesson all the time, they have to put some meat on the bones of the plots.

The beginning of the series was very good, but now it looks like they're about to "jump the shark".

Nonetheless, being half Norwegian with roots that can almost be directly traced to Viking villages in Harsted and Sortland, Norway, I still love watching my peeps in action.

Last edited:
Speaking of TV..... :ermm: I'm increasingly irritated when movies show phone text msgs onscreen from one party to another, that are a crucial part of the movie dialogue....I don't know about anyone else, but I can't possibly read that tiny text from 20 feet away. :glare:

Last edited:
I'm with you on that Cheryl, and it's also plenty annoying when another show is being promoted on part of the screen, blocking out the action.

After all these seasons, we've eliminated The Blacklist from our que. I just don't care anymore, and enough is enough. We've done the same with Manifest.

From now on, never ending dramas just are not my thing.

Last edited:
Whispering to create a dramatic effect. :glare: Come ON! By the time we turn the volume up loud enough to hear the whispering, they switch to an action scene and we're pinned back into our chairs.

Way back Fry's electronics store had a couch to check out TV and awesome sounds. That was cool, but got a bit loud.

Fry's Electronic Store early days had girls covering "I will always love You." Every night for awhile. As part of your shopping experience. Those were those days.

Two Fry's near me are still the most stocked electronics store on the west coast of the USA.

Last edited:
I just want to add that this was the best Christmas special of 2018 by far!!!

NOTE: if you have NBC VOD take a look and see if you can spot it.

Whispering to create a dramatic effect. :glare: Come ON! By the time we turn the volume up loud enough to hear the whispering, they switch to an action scene and we're pinned back into our chairs.

That, too!! Holy cow.

Not to mention.....the new series I'm into seem to have more of those irritating scenes where there are more onscreen tiny text msgs that they expect us to read...it used to be just movies, but the series are doing them more and more. UGH!!!

I watched Closed Caption(ed) TV all the time. It is distracting until you get used to it, but even then, I sometimes have to stop reading and just watch the performance of the actors, lol.

Cheryl, some of the big screen TVs in my office have a constant overlaying display that would drive you crazy.

2 Safe Title Area boxes (3x5 and 16x9 aspect ratios), XDS (V-Chip rating, clock time and other metadata), and Nielsen watermarks. Plus the CBS or CW "bug", aka the CBS Eyeball, or the letters CW in the lower right corner.

Wait until streaming takes over and broadcast TV goes away. You'll be bombarded with constant little pop up ads, and multichannel reduced screens.

Hi, Bucky. Yeah....I imagine things are going to be changing. I turn on closed captioning quite a bit these days, and that does help.

In the meantime, since I have a friend in the biz.....can you just go ahead and fix every TV issue I have, perfectly, to my satisfaction? :LOL: JK.....:wub:

That new current nature series "Planet Earth:Dynasties" is marvelous to watch on big screens these days. Cutting edge nature film making. My hat off to those guys.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom