Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm So Behind

Interrupted the Deadwood binge after Season 1 to watch:
Chernobyl on HBO. I'm up to E 4 and it is nightmarish and terrific.
When They See Us on Netflix. Up next.

Has anyone else been watching "The Great British Baking Show"? It's fascinating to me how many types of baked goods I never knew existed [emoji16] It's a lot of fun. Unlike so many other cooking competition shows, these people aren't all cut-throat about winning and it's relaxing to watch.

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/great-british-baking-show/
Screenshot_20190612-155209_Chrome~2.jpg

Truth Matters

Thought you might be interested in this review of the science of the mini-series Chernobyl: https://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/chernobyl-miniseries-the-good-and-bad/
Thank you for thinking of me and providing the link. I'm not terribly relieved to read the number of deaths might not have been as high as feared. Whether it was "only" thousands, not tens of thousands, it certainly wasn't 38 or 53 or whatever total was officially reported by the Soviet government.

Like the review, you link to says,
So how does Chernobyl do? What I liked about the series is that the main villain is the lies and deception inherent in the Soviet system. A quote from the final episode states this well:

“Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies.”

Truth and facts were anathema to the power structure, because that structure held power partly by controlling truth and facts. They had to have a monopoly on information, and everyone in the system had to play their role. This is how events take on a life of their own, and everyone, even those in power, are powerless to avert disaster. Lies made the Chernobyl disaster inevitable.
That is the scariest part.

Thank you for thinking of me and providing the link. I'm not terribly relieved to read the number of deaths might not have been as high as feared. Whether it was "only" thousands, not tens of thousands, it certainly wasn't 38 or 53 or whatever total was officially reported by the Soviet government.

Like the review, you link to says,

That is the scariest part.
Yup. I didn't mean that it was all wine and roses. Civilization needs a reliable energy source, though, so imo, it's good to understand the pros and cons of the ones we have available,

Today, tourists are allowed to visit this site. They are given a meter to keep track of their exposure to the nasties. When they reach the allowed amount that is considered safe, they have to leave. Unless they have a death wish.

Why in the world would anyone want to go there?

We watched this new Netflix movie tonight (Murder Mystery) and I can't remember having this much fun laughing with a movie for ages. We sure had a good time, and it's worth checking out....
https://www.netflix.com/title/80242619

Thanks for the recommendation. I added it to "MyList" earlier. But there are hundreds of titles there already and I'll never get to most of them. I'm actually online now only because I couldn't decide what to watch.

Long been in the habit of watching the CBS This Morning. It was always a soft/hard news program with a little more weight the soft-sided leg. Far as I can tell since the very recent on-air personnel changes its now 99% entertainment.

So as of yesterday, I listen to Public Radio in the morning instead.

Edited to correct: Originally wrote CBS Morning News. I meant CBS This Morning.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation. I added it to "MyList" earlier. But there are hundreds of titles there already and I'll never get to most of them. I'm actually online now only because I couldn't decide what to watch.
When I write this stuff the first draft is often so disjointed as to be nonsensical. What I meant to say in the post above was that I'd just finished watching Murder Mystery thanks to Kayelle's recommendation and thoroughly enjoyed it. Somehow in the cuts, copies, and pastes, my meaning was lost entirely.

Thanks, Kayelle

Finished watching all three seasons of Deadwood yesterday and watched Deadwood, The Movie today. Overall I loved the whole thing but the end of the third season left me disappointed and dissatisfied. The movie wrapped it all up nicely though. I'm glad I didn't have to wait long for it.

I really enjoyed the songs, parts of which played over the closing credits of each series episode. Playlists including most of them are on YouTube and Spotify and are well worth listening to on their own.

After stating several times that I'm not fond of British sit-coms, I find that I've become smitten with "Hold the Sunset", currently showing on the Boston PBS station. Like the previously beloved "Waiting For God", the lead characters are senior citizens. I guess I enjoy these two shows because if I wasn't watching these characters I just might BE one of the characters. :LOL:

Long been in the habit of watching the CBS This Morning...Far as I can tell since the very recent on-air personnel changes its now 99% entertainment.

So as of yesterday, I listen to Public Radio in the morning instead...
Apparently, you are in a lot of good company:
CBS This Morning Ratings Drop 21% with Gayle King's new co-hosts

Long been in the habit of watching the CBS This Morning. It was always a soft/hard news program with a little more weight the soft-sided leg. Far as I can tell since the very recent on-air personnel changes its now 99% entertainment.

So as of yesterday, I listen to Public Radio in the morning instead.

Edited to correct: Originally wrote CBS Morning News. I meant CBS This Morning.

If CBS is entertainment, public radio is propaganda.

Back
Top Bottom