"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #911
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I sometimes watch the PBS cooking shows on Saturdays. They have some good ones. Today I caught a new cooking series called "Project Smoke." Very well presented and entertaining as well as informative.
3 episodes so far, I only caught the most recent one. He cold smoked some steaks. Ice in a tray with a rack on top with the steaks on them. He set it on the far side of the coals, and on the hot side he threw in a few handfuls of hay, closed the lid and let the hay smoke the meat. In a few minutes, the steaks were smoked but still cold! Then he raked the coals and grilled them. What a great idea! I'd have to go out looking for some hay, of course.

Steven Raichlen's Project Smoke
PBS has posted other cooking show's episodes, not this one, so far. I give it thumbs up for nothing doing Saturday PBS viewing...nothing else was on. No big whoop...wanna fight about it?

Old 10-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #912
Chef Extraordinaire

The only cooking shows I watch are ATK, Cooks Country, and Jacques Pepin. Then I like Sunday nights Masterpiece Theater. But I can't seem to get into the present Summer Heat. Or whatever it is called. It takes placer in India. I am just waiting for Doc Martin and Downton Place to return.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:43 PM   #913
Master Chef

Quote:
I sometimes watch the PBS cooking shows on Saturdays. They have some good ones. Today I caught a new cooking series called "Project Smoke." Very well presented and entertaining as well as informative.
3 episodes so far, I only caught the most recent one. He cold smoked some steaks. Ice in a tray with a rack on top with the steaks on them. He set it on the far side of the coals, and on the hot side he threw in a few handfuls of hay, closed the lid and let the hay smoke the meat. In a few minutes, the steaks were smoked but still cold! Then he raked the coals and grilled them. What a great idea! I'd have to go out looking for some hay, of course.

Steven Raichlen's Project Smoke
I saw one of Raichlen's Project Smoke episodes quite by accident recently, and DVR'ed them. I enjoy it, too.

If I recall, one of our other members also uses hay for smoking - I think it might be Joey/Salt and Pepper.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:50 PM   #914
Honey Badger

I just hope the hay was fresh and not previously used!
Hey,Hey,Hey...Just sayin"
Old 10-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #915
Head Chef

Thank god for PBS. Frontline is one of the finest shows on TV. The American Experience is another.

Which Hollywood factory crap escapism TV show were we discussing?
Old 10-11-2015, 05:22 PM   #916
Honey Badger

Quote:
Thank god for PBS. Frontline is one of the finest shows on TV. The American Experience is another.
Lighten up Caslon.I meant that as a joke!
Old 10-11-2015, 05:33 PM   #917
Head Chef

Leisurely Saturday afternoons, I tune into PBS TV on Saturdays and their cooking shows.
I guess that's all I wanted to add.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:23 PM   #918
Senior Cook

The thing here in the US we do not appreciate, is the British shows we get are the cream of the crop. When we were in England, one of the more exciting shows we watched was sheep herding, and another one on lawn bowling!
BTW, Addie, the name of the show is Downton Abbey
Old 10-11-2015, 11:06 PM   #919
Master Chef

Caslon, I've found some good cooking shows on PBS just by leisurely viewing, too!

Sous....LOL - Somehow I envisioned British TV to be a little more entertaining.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:33 AM   #920
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
We've been sorta binge watching "Rizzoli and Isles" discs from the library. So far, two seasons down. Season 3 is waiting for me at the library right now, so I best be getting myself over there. Himself was asking when it was going to show up yesterday, since after "The Mysteries of Laura", current offerings by the networks on Wednesday are slim pickings for our tastes. Football tonight? Nope, dead bodies and bad guys. Besides, Angie Harmon and her character make me think of our daughter even more than Sandra Bullock. One of these days I'm going to have to post a poll with Loverly's photo and one each of Bullock and Harmon, then have you guys vote on which actress out daughter could pass as.

I love Rizzoly and Isles. Oh, and being a man, they both are so darn cute I like them even more.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking