Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know what it's like in the rest of the country but around here people are obsessed with the weather. For the 6:00 and 11:00 local news, weather dominates. In the beginning of the 35 minute broadcast, there is a weather report, then there's another weather mention. About half way through the broadcast, there is the main weather report. Then at the end of the broadcast, there is another mention of the weather.

Also, why does the news have to be 35 minutes long? Why not a half hour?

Around here the formula is every major TV Station employs at least four full-time weathermen or Meteorologists. They always get 30-second promotional segments at the beginning and end of every show as well as before and after every commercial break. So that's about five-minutes of air-time advertising their three-minute weather report during which they explain it will either be hot and humid or cold and rainy depending on the season. Of course if there should actually be lightening at any time during normal extended business hours, all regularly scheduled programming is suspended and the weathermen take over the broadcast airwaves completely.

Why does the local news have to be 35 minutes long? Well, we've already taken up 15 minutes for the weather. And you have to give at least 10 minutes to the grieving widows and parents of shooting victims. A half-hour of local TV news, being only 22 minutes long, how else could they cover sports?:rolleyes:

I don't know what it's like in the rest of the country but around here people are obsessed with the weather. For the 6:00 and 11:00 local news, weather dominates. In the beginning of the 35 minute broadcast, there is a weather report, then there's another weather mention. About half way through the broadcast, there is the main weather report. Then at the end of the broadcast, there is another mention of the weather.

Here in Springfield, MO, we have "Weather on the Fives".. :rolleyes:

I understand that mid west weather can be erratic but, to me its a bit much.. :ermm:

Ross

We seem to have about a 5-minute weather blurb every 10 to 15 minutes during the AM news, along with a traffic update. It's not quite as bad at noon,then from 4 to 6:30pm more news. If we have a storm coming in or something similar, it will focus more on the weather - especially during hurricane season.

Don't forget the times when a bad snowstorm is predicted, or potential for severe weather in the summer. Solid wall to wall coverage preempts scheduled programming. 12 inches of snow, you say? In Cleveland, we called that winter. I don't know if Cleveland has upped the weather hype on TV since we left, though...

Loved One; Hated One; Asking You About One

Loved:
The Outsiders on HBO based on a Stephen King novel. I've watched the first nine episodes. The last one airs tomorrow. The best TV I've seen in quite a while.

Hated:
Hunters on Prime Video. Looked forward to this series starring Al Pacino. Stuck through two episodes in hopes that my initial disappointment was premature but the longer I watched the worse it got. I'm not generally a fan of comic book dramas but this one is cartoonish. I am insulted by the way it trivializes the historical Holocaust and present-day neo-Nazism.

Asking all of you:
Babylon Berlin on Netflix. I wanted to watch this when the first season came out but was scared off by the German language with English subtitles. But now season three is out. IMDB rating is 8.4 and Rotten Tomatoes is 93%.
Feeling like I shouldn't let subtitles stand in the way of something really good. I have enjoyed several subtitled Scaninavian TV series in recent years. Have any of you watched Babylon Berlin. What do think?

Asking all of you:
Babylon Berlin on Netflix. I wanted to watch this when the first season came out but was scared off by the German language with English subtitles. But now season three is out. IMDB rating is 8.4 and Rotten Tomatoes is 93%.
Feeling like I shouldn't let subtitles stand in the way of something really good. I have enjoyed several subtitled Scaninavian TV series in recent years. Have any of you watched Babylon Berlin. What do think?

I’ve watched the first two seasons and loved it. Need to watch the latest season but haven’t yet. I thought the story was good, the sets were beautiful. I even started picking up some German by the end of the second season.

I’ma fast reader so I have no trouble with watching subs and looking at the action. It’s such that we all do it for regular TV shows so we don’t miss any dialogue. The only exception would be sports.

We've been enjoying a new weekly CBS drama called "Tommy".

The show stars Edie Falco,(of Carmela Soprano fame) a former high-ranking NYPD officer becomes the first female police chief of Los Angeles. A true blue New Yorker, Abigail "Tommy" Thomas uses her unflinching honesty and hardball tactics to keep social, political and national security issues from hindering effective law enforcement in the Southland. With an equal distribution of political, procedural and family drama, "Tommy" comes from Paul Attanasio, the creator of the acclaimed series "Bull," "House" and "Homicide: Life on the Street."

Last edited:
Not for everyone but, Jeannie and I have become enthralled with Peaky Blinders.. We are on season 2 of 5 on Netflix and really enjoy this production..

"Britain is a mixture of despair and hedonism in 1919 in the aftermath of the Great War. Returning soldiers, newly minted revolutions and criminal gangs are fighting for survival in a nation rocked by economic upheaval. One of the most powerful gangs of the time is the Peaky Blinders, run by returning war hero Thomas Shelby and his family. But Thomas has bigger ambitions than just running the streets. When a crate of guns goes missing, he recognizes an opportunity to advance in the world because crime may pay but legitimate business pays better. Trying to rid Britain of its crime is Inspector Chester Campbell, who arrives from Belfast to try to achieve that goal."

Ross

We finished up the fifth and final season of "In Plain Sight" a few days ago. Really enjoyed it. "Mary" and "Marshall", the two US Marshalls working in the Albuquerque witness protection office, play well off of each other.

Not for everyone but, Jeannie and I have become enthralled with Peaky Blinders.. We are on season 2 of 5 on Netflix and really enjoy this production..
I enjoy this series. Need to watch the latest season.

Currently watching season 9 of Curb Your Enthusiasm and a new show called The Plot Against America. Both are very good.

Before "Rizzoli and Iles", Angie Harmon was in a short-lived series, "The Women's Murder Club" based on the novels by James Patterson. Loved it. Well, I hunted it down on Youtube, on "Lassie TV". We're halfway through the series...of 13 episodes...of just one season. Not much, but we'll take it! It was a good show - or at least a few thousand of us viewers thought so.

So I have to ask? Anyone watching The Masked Singer or Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist?

Ooo, Zoey's...! As a theatre person, I knew that I would love it. What surprises me is that Himself is enjoying it too! We were both thoroughly amazed with the ASL dance routine. Our daughter took ASL as her foreign language requirement in college.

Former theater person here two!!

Yes that sequence was amazing!!! We watched it 2 times. I hope it gets renewed. We just lost our one favorite show this year.
Ooo, Zoey's...! As a theatre person, I knew that I would love it. What surprises me is that Himself is enjoying it too! We were both thoroughly amazed with the ASL dance routine. Our daughter took ASL as her foreign language requirement in college.

We just finished off the three-seasons (23 episodes total) of British mystery dramady "Rosemary & Thyme". I find myself once again saying "while I normally don't enjoy British based TV shows, I really liked this one". It might be the chemistry between the two leads, it might be the glorious gardens that were used during filming. Either way, it was enjoyable despite having to cut our way through the British accent and, even more, some British idioms and expressions.

Waiting for Yellowstone to return to Paramount TV - taping The Voice for later viewing. Mom likes a couple of new (or semi-new) shows on NatGeo Wild - Critter Fixers and Alaska Animal Rescue, and can't forget Dr. Pol and Dr. Oakley Yukon Vet.

Loverly is sharing the Prime love with us. This may have been a mistake. :LOL: After hearing and reading about how marvelous Mrs. Maisel is, we decided that was what we were going to watch first. After binging on "Rosemary & Thyme", watching three or four episodes in a night, we swore we were going to watch just one episode of Mrs. Maisel a night. Well that plan went right out the window! So far, in just two nights, we've blown through six episodes.

Danged show is just like potato chips. You can't "eat" just one.

Loverly is sharing the Prime love with us. This may have been a mistake. [emoji38] After hearing and reading about how marvelous Mrs. Maisel is, we decided that was what we were going to watch first. After binging on "Rosemary & Thyme", watching three or four episodes in a night, we swore we were going to watch just one episode of Mrs. Maisel a night. Well that plan went right out the window! So far, in just two nights, we've blown through six episodes.

Danged show is just like potato chips. You can't "eat" just one.
Lol, we *love* that show. Can't wait for the next season.

Here's a really interesting article about the costume designer and the clothes she designs for Midge. There is a bit of a spoiler about the third season in it, so you might want to wait a while before you read it ;)
https://www.npr.org/2020/01/28/800055855/meet-the-designer-who-makes-mrs-maisel-look-so-marvelous

Back
Top Bottom