"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-18-2016, 01:23 AM   #981
Master Chef

PF, the Boston PBS station listed show times as Sundays at 10:00 PM, the following Saturdays at 8:00 PM for the "second show". Then Sunday starts the next episode. Maybe your PBS is running a similar schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Is anyone planning on watching "Mercy Street"?...
I didn't know about this until I first saw the original post earlier. Himself and I watched it and found it interesting. He said he'd give it another episode or two before he decides to keep up with it or bail, but I'll be sure to watch it every week as long as I remember it's on. After reading the comments in the "What's the last movie..." thread and links about "The Revenant", I wonder if those reviewers would say the same about "Mercy Street". Seems a bit...graphic? Didn't bother me, but my BIL would have been on the floor with the blood and stuff they showed. I'm guessing "Mercy Street" is nothing like "Downton Abbey", which I've never seen.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:58 AM   #982
Master Chef

Sad you've never seen Downton Abbey CG. We've never missed a single episode since it started. The SousChef and I sat on our new loveseat tonight holding hands, and watched Downton Abbey enjoying the long awaited wedding of Carson and Ms. Hughes. We're suckers for a good love story of older folks. We've had so much pleasure from this show, and are sad to see it ending.
Mercy Street is being DVR'd just after, as it's past our bedtime. wink wink

PS, we both thought the "Revenant" movie was a masterpiece film.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:23 AM   #983
Master Chef

Why is it sad, Kayelle? I haven't seen it by choice. Over the years I've watched some British shows, read books by some British authors...or I should say I tried to watch the shows and read the books. I just don't enjoy the style of British "stuff". Not my thing. I'm glad for you that you like it, though, and that Souschef and you can get all sweet over things like that. Different strokes for different folks, and all that.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:09 AM   #984
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Why is it sad, Kayelle? I haven't seen it by choice. Over the years I've watched some British shows, read books by some British authors...or I should say I tried to watch the shows and read the books. I just don't enjoy the style of British "stuff". Not my thing. I'm glad for you that you like it, though, and that Souschef and you can get all sweet over things like that. Different strokes for different folks, and all that.
The problem with the British shows is that it seems like forever between seasons. Doc Martin is back. But for the life of me, unless they showed the episode from the last season, I would have been completely lost. Now I am waiting for The Last Tango in Halifax to come back.

I have become quite disenchanted with PBS. It used to be that August and December were their 'begging months.' Now it is almost every show. Every month. I wouldn't be surprised if they did it during Downton Abbey toward the end. After all, they wouldn't want us to forget what a wonderful show they brought us and that the whole seven seasons are now available through a very large amount for a donation.

I swear if they do, PBS will go on the same list as Outdoor Hunting and other sports stations as stations I will never watch. Sitting in the comfort of my home watching some dang fool go out in the wee hours of the morning, sitting in tall grass and wait for a deer to come into sight, or ducks to fly over is not my idea of entertainment. I have nothing against hunting. I just want to be entertained.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:33 PM   #985
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The problem with the British shows is that it seems like forever between seasons...
For you, and probably for everyone else who enjoys those shows. Me, not much of a TV viewer anyway, so I'd rather not spend my TV time watching something that's not exactly my cup of tea. I do, however, LOVE tea. Even there, though, I prefer the Irish blend over the English. Hmm. Different tastes for different viewers, right?
Old 01-18-2016, 10:04 PM   #986
Master Chef

Heading to the recliner to give Mercy Street a try.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:55 PM   #987
Master Chef

What did you think Cheryl?
The Souschef and I watched the first episode last night, and I think it has real promise.
This hospital is familiar to me, as American Historical Novels are my favorite books. There's lots more to be read about it. Check out the blog.
Meet Our Bloggers! | Mercy Street

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:20 PM   #988
Chef Extraordinaire

Right now, it's only a six-episode mini series. I wonder if there are plans to continue it if it's popular.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:52 PM   #989
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

You can purchase the DVD and the book off the PBS site...I'm headed there now.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:42 PM   #990
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
What did you think Cheryl?
The Souschef and I watched the first episode last night, and I think it has real promise.
This hospital is familiar to me, as American Historical Novels are my favorite books. There's lots more to be read about it. Check out the blog.
Meet Our Bloggers! | Mercy Street
I'll definitely watch it. It's usually a little confusing with the very first show what with trying to get a handle on the characters and all. Thanks for the link, I read through it. There was also a bonus feature at the very end of the premiere, did you see it? I need to watch that again...I was falling asleep...I think it was a synopsis of how the actors prepared for their roles and all.

I stumbled upon a blog from someone on the LA Times that referred to it as kind of like a "Gone With The Wind meets "M.A.S.H." With no disrespect, I can kind of see that! I'm loving the hoop skirts, the ringlet hairdos, the wool suits and starched collars of the men, the manner of speaking back in the day, the controversy of helping the injured in the Civil War, and the discovery of new medicine. Should be a good series.