Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know there are those of us who really enjoyed the first season of Call the Midwife on PBS. Just a reminder that the new season will be starting this Easter Sunday, March 31st. Check your local listings.
This is a public service announcement ........:smartass::D
Thanks! I was wondering what happened to it last week!

Love PBS!

The American Experience

History Detectives

Market Warriors

Nova

Antiques Roadshow

Masterpiece Mystery

Masterpiece Contemporary

Nature

Etc.

Love PBS!

The American Experience....
....Nature

Etc.

What, no America's Test Kitchen? No Lidia's Kitchen? And here you are on a food related forum...:rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

I don't watch too much TV, although I do have a couple of must-watch shows. Love "Big Bang Theory" since we have a brainiac son - I watch that show and it makes me think of what our home was like when he was in high school and college and his friends would come over. Also watch "Castle" because Kate and Castle have great lines off each other. However, once baseball season starts I pretty much watch the 6:00PM news. Then it's "play ball".

But just like for sleep hours, there is only so much "TV viewing hours pixie dust" that is sprinkled on a home. DH seems to have laid claim to the majority of those two portions of dust, but it's all good.

What, no America's Test Kitchen? No Lidia's Kitchen? And here you are on a food related forum...:rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

I don't watch too much TV, although I do have a couple of must-watch shows. Love "Big Bang Theory" since we have a brainiac son - I watch that show and it makes me think of what our home was like when he was in high school and college and his friends would come over. Also watch "Castle" because Kate and Castle have great lines off each other. However, once baseball season starts I pretty much watch the 6:00PM news. Then it's "play ball".

But just like for sleep hours, there is only so much "TV viewing hours pixie dust" that is sprinkled on a home. DH seems to have laid claim to the majority of those two portions of dust, but it's all good.

Love Big Bang Theory, I went to school with those guys, my Dad and brother are a couple of those guys...no I do not resemble Penny, I'm a mix between Bernadette and Amy Farah Fowler.

Cooking Goddess said:

Eek! No kidding,

I watch both of those. I love it when Lydia has her beautiful grand kids and her lovely mother on.

I watch Americas Test Kitchen, Jaques Pepin, Simply Ming and Rick Bayless.

Christina Cooks is not a fave of mine.

Barbeque U is good also.

I guess I pretty much watch them all when I have the time.

Love Big Bang Theory, I went to school with those guys, my Dad and brother are a couple of those guys...no I do not resemble Penny, I'm a mix between Bernadette and Amy Farah Fowler.

FWIW, you don't come across as "blonde" (noNoNO offense to blondes!) so I wouldn't think of you as Penny.;)

Our real estate agents back home have been friends with us from when our boys played CYO football back in 4th grade. Their daughter went to NYU and one of her roommates was the actress who plays Bernadette. Never met her, but I do know someone else who played Christine from "The Phantom of the Opera" on Broadway. And here I am, famous for...nuthin'.:ROFLMAO:

Eek! No kidding,

I watch both of those. I love it when Lydia has her beautiful grand kids and her lovely mother on.

I watch Americas Test Kitchen, Jaques Pepin, Simply Ming and Rick Bayless.

Christina Cooks is not a fave of mine.

Barbeque U is good also.

I guess I pretty much watch them all when I have the time.

I've caught Jaques Pepin a few times but can't watch him when he has Julia Child on. No offense to Julie, she was a tremendous cook and all, but since we get WGBH as a local PBS station I've had Julia overload. Some Saturdays they run her pretty much from noon to 6:00.

Love Ming (my sil met him) and BBQ U. Also, the Rhode Island station shows Chef Staib from Philly's "City Tavern" in a series called "Taste of History" that is excellent for both cooks and history buffs. I'd watch Martha Stewart because she does do a very good job of going over the basics in her Martha's Cooking School that is playing right now, but her manner of speaking can put me right to sleep. Don't have that problem with ABC's "The Chew" though. It's more a cooking-light thing but I have made more than one of Michael Symon's dishes with great reviews from DH. As long as hubby's happy we're all happy.:rolleyes:

OK, I guess I do watch more TV than I thought once I list everything. But it's mostly cooking stuff.:angel:

I've caught Jacques Pepin a few times but can't watch him when he has Julia Child on. No offense to Julie, she was a tremendous cook and all, but since we get WGBH as a local PBS station I've had Julia overload. Some Saturdays they run her pretty much from noon to 6:00.

Love Ming (my sil met him) and BBQ U. Also, the Rhode Island station shows Chef Staib from Philly's "City Tavern" in a series called "Taste of History" that is excellent for both cooks and history buffs. I'd watch Martha Stewart because she does do a very good job of going over the basics in her Martha's Cooking School that is playing right now, but her manner of speaking can put me right to sleep. Don't have that problem with ABC's "The Chew" though. It's more a cooking-light thing but I have made more than one of Michael Symon's dishes with great reviews from DH. As long as hubby's happy we're all happy.:rolleyes:

OK, I guess I do watch more TV than I thought once I list everything. But it's mostly cooking stuff.:angel:

Martha talks down to her audience. Her tone of voice says it all. Very arrogant. I guess going to prison didn't teach her very much. So true about Julia. Give her a rest. Bring her back in ten years when there is a whole new audience who have only heard about her. I can't help wondering though if she would have adjusted to today's new kitchen cooking appliances. :angel:

Love eating...love history. I don't get that program here but it sounds interesting.

A Taste of History | Cooking Shows | PBS Food

Episodes are available on you-tube so I'll check them out there.

A Taste of History in HD - YouTube

Thanks! :)

Good one for history buffs. He's filmed episodes at Williamsburg, Monticello and a few other historic homes around the country. Also a couple episodes outside the country.

It's predominantly hearth cooking. I think we'd starve if I had to cook like that all the time, although our fireplace (the real clay-and-brick kind, not the pretty steel pre-fab junk) came in mighty handy the Halloween that we lost power for 3 days. Amazing how great hot dogs taste when held with a long campfork over the fire in the grate.;)

Come to think of it CG, I may have seen that program.

I remember a program where they used dogs in a squirrel cage to turn a rotisserie in a huge fireplace.

Think it was the same program where they combined different parts of fowl, game and fish in rather grotesque configurations and served them.

Imagine what the good doctor Frankenstein would've served had he been a chef.

I can't remember what the practice was called but apparently it was quite the fashion at the time.

Come to think of it CG, I may have seen that program.

I remember a program where they used dogs in a squirrel cage to turn a rotisserie in a huge fireplace.

Think it was the same program where they combined different parts of fowl, game and fish in rather grotesque configurations and served them.

Imagine what the good doctor Frankenstein would've served had he been a chef.

I can't remember what the practice was called but apparently it was quite the fashion at the time.

jh, that must have been a different program! I don't remember ever seeing digs turn the rotisserie and everything I've seen Chef make looks palatable. You'd remember him if you saw him - he's a BIG German chef.

I watched Doc Marten again last night.

What a smart show. Funny and poignant.

I'm hooked!

Spike and I have a date every Wednesday night at nine o'clock. Doc Martin. Right now they are showing a repeat of the first three seasons. They have finished filming Season Four. When it starts, I don't know. But I keep checking PBS for any news.

This show is so well written. An absolute delight to watch. The facial expressions are so perfect. :angel:

My wife and I sat down yesterday and decided we are going to wean ourselves from cable TV. Our bill runs $177 a month and now they are planning to up it another $20 a month. That's almost $200 - which is what I paid for rent in my first apartment (granted, that was a while ago, but I still use it as a reference and think that paying more than $200 a month for anything short of a house is expensive).

I figure we can buy monthly cable internet and get rid of the TV broadcasts.

The first thing I am going to do is order a few antennas and start capitalizing on free over-the-air television transmissions for local channels and news/sports/etc. And I just read an article about how to set up a computer to act as a DVR. I have an extra computer and enough know-how to do this. We also have a Roku streaming video device with Hulu and Amazon video-on-demand. That covers almost everything except cable and premium programs. I may just have to miss out on those, but I guess we cheapskates can't have everything. :rolleyes:

i'm surprised at myself at returning to 'hannibal' for a second week. despite my initial forebodings, i think i may be turning into a fan. while i am making confessions, i might as well admit to watching 'shameless' and 'scandal' on a regular basis now, also....

doc martin, (from viewing the debut show), strikes me as being dated, and with a rather predictable main character.

My wife and I sat down yesterday and decided we are going to wean ourselves from cable TV. Our bill runs $177 a month and now they are planning to up it another $20 a month. That's almost $200...
I may just have to miss out on those, but I guess we cheapskates can't have everything. :rolleyes:

It's appalling that you have to spend that much for cable. I grew up in an era when all TV was free.

We paid around $200 for TV, internet and voice. By switching providers I was able to cut my bill by $80 a month. Much better now but still too much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom