Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Her happiness has nothing to do with the great movies she has made.

+1

Looking forward to my assignment, Vit! You must give me a hint.

You will enjoy the Tooth Fairy.....creeped me out. And I'm not easily creepable.

Last edited:
a hint, okay, dawg:) i just hope it doesn't ruin the mystery that's hanging in the air...(no, it's not a mystery)
this is a book written by a women i have admired for years. but not for her writing. the book is bound to be highly controversial. it will go against some strong personal beliefs of mine. i am eagerly waiting for it to come out. it will be very soon.

there ya go, dawg. if you guess it, you still have to read it. and write a book report on it...:)

Last edited:
i didn't expect to like hannibal myself. well, 'like' isn't the best word for how i feel about hannibal. but it intrigues me in a way that a show like 'bones' and some of the others couldn't and didn't. so far, anyhow, i 'like' hannibal. we'll see how it develops....

I may give that one a try too :)

vitauta said:
how do you mean, jharris, that you watch the shows in big chunks? you pay $2, or whatever, for each episode, but don't view them until you have a movie-length's worth?
i'd like to find an inexpensive way to watch nurse jackie, for instance. is buying a season's series my best bet?

Sorry Vitauta,

I rent the DVDs from my fave video store at about $3.00 per. Each disk usually has 4 episodes on it.

Granted I'm watching these after waiting for them to be released on video and I'm always a season behind but I enjoy watching the episodes back to back because I don't have to wait a week between episodes.

I really like to set aside a weekend and watch entire seasons.

Last edited:
...People are often incredulous when I tell them I don't have cable....

Same for our house! People must think we see NO TV. Meh, I see enough to get a fix (if you don't count news-as-noise when I cook it's rarely more than 2 hours a day). I'm a reader. Give me a stack of books and I'm happy. Magazines or box labels work too.

Cooking Goddess said:
Same for our house! People must think we see NO TV. Meh, I see enough to get a fix (if you don't count news-as-noise when I cook it's rarely more than 2 hours a day). I'm a reader. Give me a stack of books and I'm happy. Magazines or box labels work too.

Yes! I must get back to reading more!

My problem is that the only time I have time to read is at days end after chores and dinner.

I find myself dropping off to sleep after a few pages.

Yeah, real life has a way of intruding on living, eh?:neutral: I've found a couple of authors that write story lines with what I consider "the cliff". Once you reach a certain point in the story line you have no choice but to keep reading till the end! I've been known to be chased to bed by birds singing as dawn breaks.:ohmy: Good think I don't have a job or kids that need me to get up in the morning.

Very interesting Sherry. Thanks for posting.

People are often incredulous when I tell them I don't have cable.

I'll sign up for cable when the providers offer their channels a la carte and I only have to pay for channels that I'm interested in.

I'm not holding my breath!

That's the biggest problem that I have, all those channels that I would be forced to pay for that I don't want. And another thing that bugs me, is that there is always a channel or two that you want, but it isn't on the basic tier, you have to jump a tier or two to get what you want to watch, then you are paying more money, and gaining more useless channels. All this before you even think of premium channels!

Many of the people that I hang around with (20s-30s age group) don't have cable. They get what they need over the air or online. They also tend to be creative types and avid readers. Even without cable, we, in this household watch a lot of TV.

Same here. I hate that the one or two channels I want, that would seemingly fit in with all the other channels of that genre, are in another package.

I stayed up and watched Vikings last night on TV. The past few weeks I have watched the series online. Even though I was watching the shows on my monitor at work I much preferred the whole experience of the show.
When did they start showing you a clip of something in the next segment before cutting to the commercial? That's as stupid as these shows that start out after a commercial by recapping the previous segment... like we're too stupid to remember what went on 3 minutes earlier. Just show the dang show. I don't need them jumping forward. I'll see that part when we get to it.

When I had the full range of cable I found that the 80/20 rule kicked in.

I spent 80% of my time watching 20% or less of the available channels.

Now without cable it is still the same.

I am a creature of habit and look forward to certain programs week after week.

If it is Sunday it is EastEnders, if it is Thursday it is Person of Interest etc...

It is really not much different now than it was when I was a kid and we only had three television networks to choose from. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

The TV is on all the time, Shrek changes channels as he likes and then goes to sleep. Usually I just ignore what is on, but some programs annoy me and I will change them if he is sleeping through it. I think I'm going to just start turning it off when he goes to sleep. I wish most of the shows I like were not on cable, I would really miss BBC America.

The TV is on all the time, Shrek changes channels as he likes and then goes to sleep. Usually I just ignore what is on, but some programs annoy me and I will change them if he is sleeping through it. I think I'm going to just start turning it off when he goes to sleep. I wish most of the shows I like were not on cable, I would really miss BBC America.

I think you should invest in an inexpensive universal remote.

When Shrek flips the channel you can flip it back.

This one is right out of Grumpy Old Men! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I think you should invest in an inexpensive universal remote.

When Shrek flips the channel you can flip it back.

This one is right out of Grumpy Old Men! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

That would be fun...

I feel triumphant in getting him to stop switching to Letterman at night and wandering off. He said, "I thought you liked it!" Nope, it's just what you always switch to and then wander off. I never turn the TV on, while he was in the hospital the only thing that was on was a music channel, I watched nothing the two weeks he was in the hospital and rehab.

I am a creature of habit and look forward to certain programs week after week.

If it is Sunday it is EastEnders, if it is Thursday it is Person of Interest etc...

It is really not much different now than it was when I was a kid and we only had three television networks to choose from. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
Same here except for me my two must watch are "Castle" on Monday nights (although, I must confess, they rerun old episodes here on the weekends, two networks and the same two reruns on each, just different times - we try to catch each episode, but only once) and "BBT" on Thursdays. LOVE those nerds!:)

That would be fun...
...........I never turn the TV on, while he was in the hospital the only thing that was on was a music channel, I watched nothing the two weeks he was in the hospital and rehab.

When Himself falls asleep watching something I'll turn the volume down a little. If that doesn't wake him in a minute or two, *poof* off goes the TV.

Hmm, didn't turn TV shows on the whole time Shrek wasn't home? There has to be somewhere you could ship him off to - just not as drastic as a hospital. Then again, in my DH's case the kitty just might trip him coming down the steps. (*gasp* Did I type that with my "outside fingers"? ... :ohmy:)

That would be fun...

I feel triumphant in getting him to stop switching to Letterman at night and wandering off. He said, "I thought you liked it!" Nope, it's just what you always switch to and then wander off. I never turn the TV on, while he was in the hospital the only thing that was on was a music channel, I watched nothing the two weeks he was in the hospital and rehab.

Those music channels put me to sleep at night. I listen to soft classicals. Very soothing. Something I can hum to. :angel:

If you turn off the TV, it will wake him up for sure! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom