Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Question.
Why the need to record?
Isn't most of what is available to watch being streamed anyway?
Maybe it's me, but I find very little to watch on air TV aside from some sports programming. That's probably what is keeping me tied to satellite. I want the ability to turn on the TV and flip through (relatively) live broadcasts.
Is there live programming available through Roku and them?

Actually, not everything is available to stream. Hulu has a lot but is still limited, some shows don't stream for a week or two after airing. CBS doesn't have content on hulu, and what they have on their website is limited and only there for a short time. Specials, like awards shows aren't always available to stream either.

The networks do a very bad job of making their content available for streaming. Having a DVR just makes it a lot easier. If you are using a windows computer you'll have free media center with built in DVR, so why not use it?

$105... that's great!

I bought a signal amplifier/splitter and two HDHomeRun dual tuner boxes, for a total of four tuners. And I'll probably add another one down the road, just to ensure we're always able to record and watch whatever we like at the same time. You're right - they work great, and it's nice to be able to have TV that can be streamed over the wireless network rather than running cables all over the house.

We don't use Plex, but have a RoksBox media server, which is similar; i.e. it lets you play home video, music, etc. over the Rokus. I also set up a job on our server which pulls down recorded programs from the nettops and puts them on the RoksBox, so they can also be viewed on the Rokus.

It was really handy having the tuner on the network so that I could take my laptop to the attic and point the antenna to just the right position for maximum signal, using the included software.

I've thought about getting another HD home run, but we've been doing just fine with the dual tuner. That tuner just serves the living room TV, I have the cable hooked directly to the other TVs and they use their own tuners. I stream recordings with plex, it transcodes on the fly on the server to the roku.

I also put a signal booster on the antenna and get a nice strong signal throughout the house.

I love the idea of the net top, but those aren't currently in my budget.

Question.
Why the need to record?
Isn't most of what is available to watch being streamed anyway?
Maybe it's me, but I find very little to watch on air TV aside from some sports programming. That's probably what is keeping me tied to satellite. I want the ability to turn on the TV and flip through (relatively) live broadcasts.
Is there live programming available through Roku and them?
Networks sometimes offer their primetime shows online, but not always. Also, movies are almost never made available online. And then, like you said, there is sports. I'm not always home when games are broadcast, so it's nice to record and watch them later.

What you said about on-air programming is what I've been saying about cable for years now. You can sit and flip through hundreds of channels and not find a thing worth watching. ;)

With OTA broadcasts, I've actually been watching a lot of old shows that I haven't seen for years. Kind of nice really.

BT, do you work for a cable company? We're still using it for internet. I can see cable going more that route in the future.

not xable. i work for the cbs network.

everything is going to go internet someday, and the networks are trying to kill off cable before they kill us. there's a big battle looming. no one is wuite sure how it all will turn out.

back to the days of only the major networks in control of things, or will everything become fractionated?

...everything is going to go internet someday, and the networks are trying to kill off cable before they kill us. there's a big battle looming. no one is wuite sure how it all will turn out....

Interestingly enough, I just saw an ad on TV from the National Association for Broadcasters for "wearebroadcasters.com". Looks like a PR blitz to me. FWIW, free is good. As Himself says "If it's free, it's for me". :LOL:

tv has been free due to advertising, and the internet (except your provider/connection) is no different.

if cable wins, you'll pay for everything you watch on your internet "tv". they're greedy.

there's plenty of money to be made from advertisers without raping subscribers.

enough to create content and either broadcast or stream it.

the reason streaming content is limited at this time has to do with technical limitations. the ability to provide a massive pipe to output content that is exponentially tailored to a request, as well as preventing people from skipping the ads that pay for everything.

i have 28 years experience in broadcasting, and hope to make 20 more before i retire. i've worked with guys that have told great stories on fishing trips and over beers about old times with ernie kovacs, jackie gleason, edward murrow, and walter cronkite. gentlemen the lot.

i have a few to tell the young guys myself one day, about dan rather, charles kuralt, and andy rooney, but it'll never be the same.

and that's the way it was.

Last edited:
We have started watching Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares the UK version, there are 5 seasons, then we will go onto watch Kitchen Nightmares his US version

We love it...we watched the first episode and Gordon had us cracking up laughing, he is such a character, swears a lot as we all know, but we like him :)

Looking forward to watching the whole series :)

We have started watching Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares the UK version, there are 5 seasons, then we will go onto watch Kitchen Nightmares his US version

We love it...we watched the first episode and Gordon had us cracking up laughing, he is such a character, swears a lot as we all know, but we like him :)

Looking forward to watching the whole series :)

I actually prefer the UK version over the US version. The US version seems very "staged reality TV" with all the fighting and attitude from the owners.

in the early u.k. version, he talks much more softly and curses a lot less than the more recent ones, and certainly less than the american shows.

also, in the early shows, either he had bad makeup people or he's gotten botox since then. i'm not saying that to be snarky, but rather it was just very noticeable.

I actually prefer the UK version over the US version. The US version seems very "staged reality TV" with all the fighting and attitude from the owners.

I agree...I have read Dave, that the US one is not as good as the UK one...as there are so many arguments and upset with all the staff and families, which takes away from the quality of the show

The UK ones are great, we are really enjoying them, they are informative, but also funny in parts, a lot of fun to watch :)

I tend to watch F1, MotoGP, Tennis & Golf when it's on. Food Network, The Great British Bake Off, Strictly Come Dancing, Dancing on Ice (though 2014 will be the last year, however it's the same thing as SCD, but with torvill & dean & on ice)

But mainly I watch dvd's, as I can have them on whilst doing something else. And I don't feel as if I'm missing anything. Plus my tv signal can really play up. So dvd's are a godsend.

Did you know that Gordon Ramsey is actually really polite & friendly in real life. Meet him once, when I was in the audience of Dancing on Ice

The Australian Masterchef is starting again on June 2nd YAY!!

Season 5....and they have changed the format apparently, they are doing a Girls vs Boys this year, this should be interesting :)

after the way last season ended, i can wait.

sort of like not wanting to hear bad news, besides that ridiculous bad scene of matthew's stupid smile just before the crash.

i hope they don't do that again.

Last edited:
I'm going through Nathan Fillion withdrawal right now. :( We usually watch the rerun they show at midnight on Sunday nights but we were finishing up a movie at that time. Then tonight they didn't show a rerun during "Castle"s regular time slot because of the 20/20 special. Seriously, an entire hour to mull over what name the royal baby might end up with? Didn't we fight a war a couple centuries ago to get away from the Brits? :rolleyes: Oy-vey! I watched the 10:00 PM news...

Back
Top Bottom