Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are their school age children being home schooled? Is the parent capable or even have enough knowledge to even home school them? :angel:

Good question. I also thought about this. No mention of education on the show.
But I know people that home school and they live here in society. They have no business home schooling. IMHO.
They will do anything to keep their kids out of public school. Similarly, keep them away from other races and to pacify their religious and political beliefs.

And what will they do if one of the family needs an operation---- appendicitis? broken leg?
Who will pay for that? Or will they just let Bear dig a hole, as he seems to love to do, that's deep enough to bury the person in when s/he dies---- while enjoying their freedom to live as they wish?

They then go to a doctor and on the show, they took their youngest to a dentist. They traded salmon for services rendered.
They did say had it been one of the older children, they would have pulled the tooth with pliers.
I know it seems silly. Frankly I consider it silly. But its like a car wreck. You just have to look.

Roll_Bones;1367554 They traded salmon for services rendered. I know it seems silly. Frankly I consider it silly. But its like a car wreck. You just have to look.[/QUOTE said:
Ah, back to the barter system which may or may not be a good system, if they can find a good dentist who would do that. "Good". :)

Yes, it IS like a car wreck----and I have to admit I usually do look at a car wreck if I happen to pass one while driving. But I don't turn my TV on just to watch them, although there are probably plenty of shows that specialize in that. :rolleyes:

About home schooling----- there are probably many people who do that because they live in a rural area. And probably many who do that because of the sad state of our public schools today in the U.S. and can't afford a private school.

I would never have attempted home schooling if only for the fact that I barely passed algebra myself. And grammar, if you look at my posts, isn't a strong point with me either or neither or whatever, ya know? :LOL:

About home schooling----- there are probably many people who do that because they live in a rural area. And probably many who do that because of the sad state of our public schools today in the U.S. and can't afford a private school.

I would never have attempted home schooling if only for the fact that I barely passed algebra myself. And grammar, if you look at my posts, isn't a strong point with me either or neither or whatever, ya know? :LOL:

Seems you would be a professor compared to the folks I just referenced above. Nice people, but they are home schooling for none of your reasons. They are home schooling for religious and political reasons.
Racism being included. And yes, they told me this. Bluntly told me why they home school.

I bet they got "them youngins learned up real good" by now. LOL

Nice people, but they are home schooling for none of your reasons. They are home schooling for religious and political reasons.
Racism being included. And yes, they told me this. Bluntly told me why they home school.

O.K.---- I misunderstood your post and thought you were talking about homeschooling adherents in general. Sorry.

I won't comment on the religious and political issue for that's not allowed here at Discuss Cooking. :cool:

Seems you would be a professor compared to the folks I just referenced above. Nice people, but they are home schooling for none of your reasons. They are home schooling for religious and political reasons.

I bet they got "them youngins learned up real good" by now. LOL
Were they home schooling because they belived in racism or because they disapproved of it?

We used to have home schooling here a century or so ago - for the daughters of the rich - it was called having a governess (cf "Jane Eyre", et al)

Seriously, though, there isn't a lot of home schooling here (very few people live in the wilds away from proper schools) but there is some. Some people will HS because the child has special needs and the local schools can't provide what is necessary (or the parents think they can't) Other people have other reasons . However, you have to jump through hoops to persuade the authorities that you are doing it properly and you get inspected regularly. A bit different than these people on television.

As for bartering, many years ago I had a single male friend who lived alone and couldn't cook but was a talented do-it-yourself-er. We developed a scheme where he would do my decorating or some electrical work or install my dishwasher in return for me feeding him. Worked like a charm. I'd say, "Richard, I have a leg of lamb for Sunday dinner" and he'd say "OK, I'll bring my tool kit":)

Last edited:
Talking about TV and radio, on Thursday there was a lot of coverage of the run up to D Day and Friday the coverage was of the commemorations.

There was an old gentleman of 91 who had parachuted into France as part of the invasion and wanted to do it again so he was taken up in an aeroplane over France and did a "piggy-back" jump strapped to a member of the current British Parachute Regiment. He was thrilled to bits with the experience.

There were other old gentlemen in their 80s and 90s who had been there in '44 who said they tried to go Normandy every year to remember their colleagues who didn't make it but this was the big one as they won't be around for much longer.

There were all nationalities there including those from "the other side" and everyone made speeches including HM Queen, who's a game girl at 88 years old and who gave a rather moving speech.

Of course, the BBC had to have a discussion on the radio about what would have happened if the invasion had failed!

I've been over to Nottingham to visit my aunt in hospital for the last two days and I missed quite a lot so will be catching up with "Listen Again" on the website in the morning.

Last edited:
Not just funny, but smart, too! What makes it great for me is I grew up with people like that. I understand the situations they get themselves into...I'm sure I've even been in some of the situations.:ROFLMAO:
"The Big Bang Theory" IS my son and his brainiac friends! :LOL: When we still owned my folks' house and he was home for the summer, he'd have his friends over. They'd play cards, sit and talk "smart", and entertain me in general. When I first watched "BBT" my initial reaction was "meh". Himself liked it, so most times I just stayed in the living room and kinda watched it. Then the light bulb went off - Son and Company! :ROFLMAO: Have loved it ever since.

Back to TV...I think I miss so many of the popular shows because I am so wrapped up in the food networks, HGTV, the history channel, NatGeo, and such. It seems like every time I hear about something good that I would like, it's near the season ending. LOL :ermm::LOL:

Back to TV...I think I miss so many of the popular shows because I am so wrapped up in the food networks, HGTV, the history channel, NatGeo, and such. It seems like every time I hear about something good that I would like, it's near the season ending. LOL :ermm::LOL:

I never watch any of the shows on the three networks anymore. Most of my viewing are shows from the BBC on PBS. After that National Geo. and the History channel. But now that the rerun season is upon us, I will be looking toward movies. :angel:

Gogglebox....for those not in UK, believe it or not, it's about viewing different types of people reacting to TV programmes! More entertaining than it sounds (you get to know the people) and won an award.

Today and continuing into tomorrow National Geographic is airing the complete "Arial America" series. The following schedule is:

Starting at 6 a.m. Alabama
7 a.m. Virginia
8 a.m. Pennsylvania
9 a.m. Oklahoma
10 a.m. North Carolina
11 a.m. Michigan
12 noon Colorado
1 p.m. California
2 p.m. Massachusetts
3 p.m. Kentucky
4 p.m. Arizona
5 p.m. Florida
6 p.m. Hawaii
7 p.m. Utah
8 p.m. Texas
9 p.m. Wyoming
10 p.m. New York
11 p.m. Texas

Then they start repeating until 2 a.m.

At 2 a.m. Saturday Morning – The Dakotas. And it is continued etc.

If your state is not listed above, most likely it will be on Saturday and some of them will be repeated. Just thought you would like to see your state from the air. :angel:

Anybody is watching The Last Ship? There is this Russian admiral in the last night episode. I know it probably doesn't matter to you, but being from Russia and speak the language it makes such a difference when a Russian person plays Russian, especially when it comes to speaking Russian. It is atrocious what most actors do the language. With all the Russians in Hollywood nowadays you'd think producers would make a right choice and pick one out for a role. The only one who was able to speak Russian normally, meaning that I could actually understand what he was saying, was Liev Schreiber. Everybody else are just horrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched the premiere of the new Halle Berry series "Extant" last night. I thought it was pretty good. Which means it will probably be cancelled after a dozen episodes. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom