Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought that was the reason to watch TV...I've been watching TV wrong all these years. Suspension of disbelief is where it's at...I guess modern audiences want reality shows...I get enough reality life.

I agree 100%. I NEVER watch a reality show. Fifteen minutes of content in a one hour show with the producers trying to create drama where there isn't any.

Has anyone else seen this on PBS? Yet another remarkable masterpiece by Ken Burns..

The Roosevelts: An Intimate History | Ken Burns America

I'm glad so many of you are enjoying it too. All the old pictures are just fascinating to me.

Ken Burns is a real master isn't he. A few years ago I bought this DVD and we were so inspired by it that we booked a riverboat cruise of the Columbia River to retrace the last leg of their journey.

Lewis and Clark | Ken Burns America

I'm glad so many of you are enjoying it too. All the old pictures are just fascinating to me.

Ken Burns is a real master isn't he. A few years ago I bought this DVD and we were so inspired by it that we booked a riverboat cruise of the Columbia River to retrace the last leg of their journey.

Lewis and Clark | Ken Burns America

I have yet to see a bad series of his. So I will keep watching anything he makes until he makes one that is lousy. Looks like he has a lifelong fan.

Upcoming Films

Take a look for an excellent read and something to look forward to. :angel:

I agree 100%. I NEVER watch a reality show. Fifteen minutes of content in a one hour show with the producers trying to create drama where there isn't any.

I think the only one I watch is Pawn Stars. Mainly for the history lessons when he calls in an expert. :angel:

I think the only one I watch is Pawn Stars. Mainly for the history lessons when he calls in an expert. :angel:

I like that part of it too Addie, but I just hate the disrespect for one another with that family. ACK...

One reality show we really enjoy is American Pickers. They find the most interesting stuff, and the cast is so durn likable. All three of them are fun to watch. Steve is fascinated with all of Daniel's tattoos. :ohmy: :wacko:

I like that part of it too Addie, but I just hate the disrespect for one another with that family. ACK...

One reality show we really enjoy is American Pickers. They find the most interesting stuff, and the cast is so durn likable. All three of them are fun to watch. Steve is fascinated with all of Daniel's tattoos. :ohmy: :wacko:

I think it is endearing the way they have quasi adopted Chumlee. They do look out for him in their own strange way.

I find that after a while on AP, that mid-western twang irritates my ears. But I just love it watching them crawl and climb through what looks like just a pile of junk to find that one thing at the bottom that they just have to have. The Pirate loves AP. :angel:

Sarah Shahi is actually on "Person of Interest," but since you were busy ogling Ioan Guffaw Elmerfudd Gruffudd, we'll forgive you for the error. :LOL:
If it helps, it's pronounced "Griffith"......or no, that probably confuses things even more. :LOL:

(I did Welsh language in college. Fortunately I've forgotten most of it.)

I'm just so glad all our favorite shows are back and none were eliminated for the new season. I record everything we watch and it makes watching a pleasure with FF commercials.

We'll stick with Person of Interest but I sure hated when they killed off the lady cop, Taraji Henson as she was terrific. And when Josh Charles of The Good Wife chose to leave....well,grrrr.

None of the new shows look interesting enough to me.
Damn, damn, damn! I wish I hadn't read that.

Please can we be warned about spoilers? I haven't seen that series of
P of I !

Damn, damn, damn! I wish I hadn't read that.

Please can we be warned about spoilers? I haven't seen that series of
P of I !

I apologize MC!! I hate spoilers too, so I'm really sorry but it happened several episodes before the end of last season in this country. I need to be more mindful of UK viewers.:(

After my evil critique of "Scorpion", I read these:

As I mentioned above, (Forever) does stretch your logic a bit.

I thought that was the reason to watch TV...I've been watching TV wrong all these years. Suspension of disbelief is where it's at...I guess modern audiences want reality shows...I get enough reality life.

PF, Andy, what is this "reality show" you speak of? The news is real...maybe. I know for sure the weather reports often are the fantasy segment of news. ;) However, if you think I like reality tv shows the likes of which "Shark Survivor Hell's Tank" represent, you are happily wrong. To ME, those kinds of shows are a good waste of my diminishing time. I'd rather fold sheets. :LOL:

Most action and drama series offer up situations that have a "no way in Hades" reaction, but that's why they're enjoyable. Heck, even comedies need you to forget real life situations. But when a show stretches something so much that the action is pushed too far beyond believable, it jumps the shark for me right away. A 200-foot cable to connect two computers together while one is in a plane and the other is travelling 200 MPH on the ground? That's where you lose me. Then again, how many times can Henry keep popping up wet and unclothed before I give up on "Forever"? :brows: I'm good with suspending disbelief for that show even though you seem to think it's a bit of a stretch, Andy. On rare occasions, I like to ride along just because of the scenery...

...I find that after a while on AP, that mid-western twang irritates my ears...
I've never heard "Midwestern" and "twang" put together like that before. :huh: Your comment got me looking to see what dialect name is assigned to each region's unique speech patterns and pronunciations. I found this interesting (and time-wasting) quiz on PBS: Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . American Varieties . Mapping | PBS (FYI to anyone taking the quiz, I couldn't hear a sample from each of the top three selections in the column to the right of the map.) That section on PBS has a whole slew of stuff to read on how people from different parts of the country sound. I think this might be the main page to that topic: Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . American Varieties | PBS

i've found it interesting that the southern twang was much less common and even looked down upon before the war of northern aggression and states' rights :cool:, but it increased in popularity exponentially after the war to the point where it nearly can define the culture.

I'd never heard of "Midwest Twang" either, until I heard Ann Landers and her sister, Dear Abbie, speak on the radio or some talk show. I asked my mom why they sounded like that, she said it was because they were from Iowa. :LOL:

Last edited:
Just discovered that there is a new Jamie Oliver show on television over here - "Jamie's Comfort Food". It's been hammered in the press because it is about comfort food which the journalists are getting into a bate about because it's supposed to be unhealthy but as our Jamie says, it isn't for daily consumption.

Watched the first one on-line today. Proper chicken kiev, mmm, better than the rubbish out of a packet from the supermarket and spaghetti vongole which didn't seem very unhealthy to me.

Last edited:
Just discovered that there is a new Jamie Oliver show on television over here - "Jamie's Comfort Food". It's been hammered in the press because it is about comfort food which the journalists are getting into a bate about because it's supposed to be unhealthy but as our Jamie says, it isn't for daily consumption.

Watched the first one on-line today. Proper chicken kiev, mmm, better than the rubbish out of a packet from the supermarket and spaghetti vongole which didn't seem very unhealthy to me.

You can't win Mad Cook! The "experts" get in a tizzy no matter what you do - buy takeaways? No! Buy ready made meals? No! Make food at home? No! Maybe we are supposed to eat nothing at all? Everything in moderation is my motto and I am perfectly happy with it. Haven't seen Jamie's new show yet, but I am sure I will.

Meanwhile, I watched the first episode of the latest season of Downton Abby last Sunday. However, I won't say anything about it, as I know there are a few fans here who may not have seen it yet. :)

Back
Top Bottom