Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am lamenting having seen the last episodes of two BBC serials (Netflix streaming): one, a fave of Addie I think she said, is Last Tango in Halifax, which I avoided starting because it sounded sappy. It wasn't. Two, about a woman police officer, starring Sarah Lancashire (who appeared as headmistress of a school in that Last Tango series), titled Happy Valley. It wasn't. But they were both good shows. I must look up this Sally Wainwright, who was responsible for both shows, writing & direction, I think.

You can't win Mad Cook! The "experts" get in a tizzy no matter what you do - buy takeaways? No! Buy ready made meals? No! Make food at home? No! Maybe we are supposed to eat nothing at all? Everything in moderation is my motto and I am perfectly happy with it. Haven't seen Jamie's new show yet, but I am sure I will.

Meanwhile, I watched the first episode of the latest season of Downton Abby last Sunday. However, I won't say anything about it, as I know there are a few fans here who may not have seen it yet. :)

You are right. We here on this side of the pond will not get it until Jan. '15. Thanks for being considerate. :angel:

You can't win Mad Cook! The "experts" get in a tizzy no matter what you do - buy takeaways? No! Buy ready made meals? No! Make food at home? No! Maybe we are supposed to eat nothing at all? Everything in moderation is my motto and I am perfectly happy with it. Haven't seen Jamie's new show yet, but I am sure I will.

Meanwhile, I watched the first episode of the latest season of Downton Abby last Sunday. However, I won't say anything about it, as I know there are a few fans here who may not have seen it yet. :)

I made a big pan of baked mac and cheese today along with a smaller one for Spike. I guess the Food Police will come and slap me upside of my head with a wet piece of bread. My bad! :angel:

I hate being "spoiled" so I try my best not to be a spoiler myself Addie. :)

I hate when someone tells me all about the movie they saw, the TV show or a book they have read. And they keep droning on and on, word for word, and then tell you how it ends. Just tell me if it was good or bad so I can save my money for only the good stuff. :angel:

is anyone else watching "outlander" on starz (the premium cable network)?

i'm anxiously awaiting the "mid-season finale" tonight.

I am lamenting having seen the last episodes of two BBC serials (Netflix streaming): one, a fave of Addie I think she said, is Last Tango in Halifax, which I avoided starting because it sounded sappy. It wasn't. Two, about a woman police officer, starring Sarah Lancashire (who appeared as headmistress of a school in that Last Tango series), titled Happy Valley. It wasn't. But they were both good shows. I must look up this Sally Wainwright, who was responsible for both shows, writing & direction, I think.

I really liked last Tango in Halifax also lizzie and can't wait for the new season.

You are right. We here on this side of the pond will not get it until Jan. '15. Thanks for being considerate. :angel:

I hate being "spoiled" so I try my best not to be a spoiler myself Addie. :)

I really apologized to MC about letting the cat out of the bag from the last season of Person of Interest. Frankly I wasn't aware that American shows are a season behind in the UK. My bad, and I won't do it again. Returning to my corner.

i'm fookin amazed that "outlander" isn't a bigger deal with the ladies here.

it's an adventure story set in 18th century scotland with a woman as both the protagonist and narrator of the story.

in other words, the heroine writes the story. with drams of scotch, good looking men in both kilts and uniform, more scotch, acts of chivalry from both sides at the whim of the "lass" (historically horriffic) and more scotch before the men fight over her. it's a freakin' romance novel incarnate.

lol.

but it is pretty cool, and well done. along the production quality of "game of thrones".

Last edited:
Not all of us are romance novel aficionados, I want vampires or robots/androids. Spaceships are nice, too! Fiery explosions!!!

Yup, not into romance novels either. Prefer murder, terror, psychopaths, and comedy. And "Survivor" and "Amazing Race".

I also enjoyed "How to Get Away With Murder" last night, and "Scorpion" tonight.

Last edited:
I love blood and guts medical stuff. Give me a show where they lift up all the intestines and put them on their chest to be able to get at what is underneath. I love watching the scalpel make that first cut. Then remove some tissue. Blood and guts. That is so great! :angel:

i'm fookin amazed that "outlander" isn't a bigger deal with the ladies here.

it's an adventure story set in 18th century scotland with a woman as both the protagonist and narrator of the story.

in other words, the heroine writes the story. with drams of scotch, good looking men in both kilts and uniform, more scotch, acts of chivalry from both sides at the whim of the "lass" (historically horriffic) and more scotch before the men fight over her. it's a freakin' romance novel incarnate.

lol.

but it is pretty cool, and well done. along the production quality of "game of thrones".

Are you kidding me?
I'm so there,
BUT!
Here's the thing...
I have read and re-read each of Diana Gabaldon's eight,
yes 8 "big" novels (she has more, I got to meet her a few years back)
and I have Jamie and Claire Fraser in my head
and I just CAN'T do it!
I REFUSE
to watch them on TV,
just like I have Jean Auel's Earth Children
Ayla and Jondalar kept away in the recesses of my mind,
I don't want to meet them in person,
I like them on the page in front of me

Now "Downton Abbey" is back I may have to get the aerial repaired and buy a television licence again. Not sure if it'll be very good on-line.

Liked the Scorpion. Of course when plain is this cole to the ground, why not simply land, but oh well, then they could not make the show, right? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Back
Top Bottom