Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PF, the Boston PBS station listed show times as Sundays at 10:00 PM, the following Saturdays at 8:00 PM for the "second show". Then Sunday starts the next episode. Maybe your PBS is running a similar schedule.

Is anyone planning on watching "Mercy Street"?...
I didn't know about this until I first saw the original post earlier. Himself and I watched it and found it interesting. He said he'd give it another episode or two before he decides to keep up with it or bail, but I'll be sure to watch it every week as long as I remember it's on. :LOL: After reading the comments in the "What's the last movie..." thread and links about "The Revenant", I wonder if those reviewers would say the same about "Mercy Street". Seems a bit...graphic? Didn't bother me, but my BIL would have been on the floor with the blood and stuff they showed. I'm guessing "Mercy Street" is nothing like "Downton Abbey", which I've never seen.

Sad you've never seen Downton Abbey CG. We've never missed a single episode since it started. The SousChef and I sat on our new loveseat tonight holding hands, and watched Downton Abbey enjoying the long awaited wedding of Carson and Ms. Hughes. We're suckers for a good love story of older folks. We've had so much pleasure from this show, and are sad to see it ending.
Mercy Street is being DVR'd just after, as it's past our bedtime. wink wink

PS, we both thought the "Revenant" movie was a masterpiece film.

Last edited:
Why is it sad, Kayelle? I haven't seen it by choice. Over the years I've watched some British shows, read books by some British authors...or I should say I tried to watch the shows and read the books. I just don't enjoy the style of British "stuff". Not my thing. I'm glad for you that you like it, though, and that Souschef and you can get all sweet over things like that. Different strokes for different folks, and all that. ;)

Why is it sad, Kayelle? I haven't seen it by choice. Over the years I've watched some British shows, read books by some British authors...or I should say I tried to watch the shows and read the books. I just don't enjoy the style of British "stuff". Not my thing. I'm glad for you that you like it, though, and that Souschef and you can get all sweet over things like that. Different strokes for different folks, and all that. ;)

The problem with the British shows is that it seems like forever between seasons. Doc Martin is back. But for the life of me, unless they showed the episode from the last season, I would have been completely lost. Now I am waiting for The Last Tango in Halifax to come back.

I have become quite disenchanted with PBS. It used to be that August and December were their 'begging months.' Now it is almost every show. Every month. I wouldn't be surprised if they did it during Downton Abbey toward the end. After all, they wouldn't want us to forget what a wonderful show they brought us and that the whole seven seasons are now available through a very large amount for a donation.

I swear if they do, PBS will go on the same list as Outdoor Hunting and other sports stations as stations I will never watch. Sitting in the comfort of my home watching some dang fool go out in the wee hours of the morning, sitting in tall grass and wait for a deer to come into sight, or ducks to fly over is not my idea of entertainment. I have nothing against hunting. I just want to be entertained. :angel:

The problem with the British shows is that it seems like forever between seasons...
For you, and probably for everyone else who enjoys those shows. Me, not much of a TV viewer anyway, so I'd rather not spend my TV time watching something that's not exactly my cup of tea. I do, however, LOVE tea. :) Even there, though, I prefer the Irish blend over the English. Hmm. Different tastes for different viewers, right?

What did you think Cheryl?
The Souschef and I watched the first episode last night, and I think it has real promise.
This hospital is familiar to me, as American Historical Novels are my favorite books. There's lots more to be read about it. Check out the blog.
Meet Our Bloggers! | Mercy Street

I'll definitely watch it. It's usually a little confusing with the very first show what with trying to get a handle on the characters and all. :) Thanks for the link, I read through it. There was also a bonus feature at the very end of the premiere, did you see it? I need to watch that again...I was falling asleep...I think it was a synopsis of how the actors prepared for their roles and all.

I stumbled upon a blog from someone on the LA Times that referred to it as kind of like a "Gone With The Wind meets "M.A.S.H." :LOL: With no disrespect, I can kind of see that! I'm loving the hoop skirts, the ringlet hairdos, the wool suits and starched collars of the men, the manner of speaking back in the day, the controversy of helping the injured in the Civil War, and the discovery of new medicine. Should be a good series.

Last edited:
I'll definitely watch it. It's usually a little confusing with the very first show what with trying to get a handle on the characters and all. :) Thanks for the link, I read through it. There was also a bonus feature at the very end of the premiere, did you see it? I need to watch that again...I was falling asleep...I think it was a synopsis of how the actors prepared for their roles and all.

I stumbled upon a blog from someone on the LA Times that referred to it as kind of like a "Gone With The Wind meets "M.A.S.H." :LOL: With no disrespect, I can kind of see that! I'm loving the hoop skirts, the ringlet hairdos, the wool suits and starched collars of the men, the manner of speaking back in the day, the controversy of helping the injured in the Civil War, and the discovery of new medicine. Should be a good series.

Not only impressed with all you mentioned, but the lighting and cinematography are so effective and very well done. The books I love come to life.

What are some of the books you've read about historical medicine, Kayelle? Sounds like the kind of thing I like, too.

I'm terrible about remembering book titles of why I remember this hospital GG, but there have been several. I'll have to go back into my archives to remember. There were no specific historical medicine books, but only stories related to this hospital. For the most part the people I read about ended up there.

Ah, seems like my post about "Mercy Street" got lost between me hitting "send" and DC. :huh: Doesn't seem to be here.

Anyway, I found "Mercy Street" to be very interesting. I was impressed with Josh Radnor's performance as Dr. Foster. It's so completely different of a role than his previous run as Ted Mosby in "How I Met Your Mother". It looks like he can really act. ;) Can't wait for the next episode this coming Sunday. Hope the late football game doesn't go too late, because then I'll have to pick one.

Well, I could, IF we had a DVR, Kayelle. We watch TV. We have an 8', old-fashioned antenna in the attic. Himself is still working on getting our old tower computer back up and running so that we can stream shows online through the TV. We're pretty much 1970s in our TV viewing in this house. Unless the game goes long and is neck-and-neck, I'll switch over at 10:00PM to watch Mercy Street. It's not like we have only one TV here, either. We have 3 sets for two people. :huh: It's just that when it comes to sports watching in our house, I'm the "guy". :LOL: Unless it's his beloved Buckeyes, Himself is pretty indifferent to most sports shows.

Meanwhile, if push comes to shove, I can watch the show online on my 15 1/2" laptop screen. We aren't complete Luddites in this house!

Watched (most of) FOX's "Grease, Live" and all I can say is WOW! Move over, Peacock, you have certainly been out-FOXed!

I wanted to watch this because I love live productions. From doing my few community theatre shows, I know what a rush it is to do a show "live". You make a mistake, you might have to live it down the rest of your life/career. But when you pull off a truly applause-worthy performance, there is nothing like it. Himself, on the other hand, went into this with a "meh" attitude. He's not a live-theatre person, God love him. Even he enjoyed it! I have to say after seeing 2 out of the 3 NBC live musicals, they can not hold a klieg light up to the quality of the Fox "Grease" show. It makes a real difference when you cast people with theatre experience rather than "name" personalities, to play the main roles. What A Show tonight!

Yeah, we did leave it for "Mercy Street". I'm kinda wishing I had stuck around for the entire "Grease" and caught up with the good Dr. Foster and the rest of them later this week....

Watched (most of) FOX's "Grease, Live" and all I can say is WOW! Move over, Peacock, you have certainly been out-FOXed!

I wanted to watch this because I love live productions. From doing my few community theatre shows, I know what a rush it is to do a show "live". You make a mistake, you might have to live it down the rest of your life/career. But when you pull off a truly applause-worthy performance, there is nothing like it. Himself, on the other hand, went into this with a "meh" attitude. He's not a live-theatre person, God love him. Even he enjoyed it! I have to say after seeing 2 out of the 3 NBC live musicals, they can not hold a klieg light up to the quality of the Fox "Grease" show. It makes a real difference when you cast people with theatre experience rather than "name" personalities, to play the main roles. What A Show tonight!

Yeah, we did leave it for "Mercy Street". I'm kinda wishing I had stuck around for the entire "Grease" and caught up with the good Dr. Foster and the rest of them later this week....

We watched it too. It was great. I remember being a small kid in the late 70's, we had the vinyl record soundtrack to the movie version of Grease. My older sis wore it out. :)

Julianne Hough was awesome. Overall, the movie version was better, but this version was great, too.

Opening theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGObkWnXWMs

Last edited:
I really enjoyed Grease! DH was upstairs watching tennis or some other sport.

The staging was impressive, and the casting was great!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom