Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We decided to not subscribe to a TV package when we moved into our new apartment. We have Mediacom internet, which comes with network channels. We have TIVO and have been watching movies and TV series shows.

So far, channels that we watched previously are not missed as much as we thought they would be.

We are fans of college softball and watch as many games as possible, through out the year. We moved into our apartment a couple of days before the WCWS started. We hadn't missed that in 10+ years.

I'm sorry we missed it but not sorry enough to add 100 TV channels we do not watch.

We will adapt and use what we save to enjoy a dinner out here and there.

OH... We have been binge watching TV series... Just completed 2 seasons of "The Queen" on Netflix..

Ross

Yes, I kept the Internet connection and stopped the cable service. I rarely turn the TV on and when I did, was watching movies I already had on DVD. Every once in a while I think, "Boy it's quiet in here." I need to get the stereo connected.

Yes, I kept the Internet connection and stopped the cable service. I rarely turn the TV on and when I did, was watching movies I already had on DVD. Every once in a while I think, "Boy it's quiet in here." I need to get the stereo connected.

Until you do, if available to you, I'd suggest "Pandora". Its free and you can, easily build a group of music artists you like.

Ours runs throughout the day, whereas silly TV programs were in the background previously..

Ross

Until you do, if available to you, I'd suggest "Pandora". Its free and you can, easily build a group of music artists you like.

Ours runs throughout the day, whereas silly TV programs were in the background previously..

Ross

Thanks, Ross. I do use Accuradio at work, I should log in at home. I find Accuradio a bit more flexible than Pandora. Great idea!
PF

I'm pretty much the same way. I don't even have a television on the main floor of the house. Just a smart speaker for music. I do have a TV in the bedroom, but I only seem to turn it on most nights to put me to sleep.

I also have one of those Roku boxes, which uses an internet connection to let me stream movies and video on demand. One of my favorite "channels" is something called Curiosity Stream. It's all documentaries. A co-worker of mine refers to it as "Netflix for Nerds."

Last edited:
There should be a way that you pay for the cable channels you watch frequently, without those channels being placed in other "packages." Congress is still looking into that.

Last edited:
There should be a way that you pay for the cable channels you watch frequently, without those channels being placed in other "packages." Congress is still looking into that.

According to cable companies cable "a la carte" would cost significantly more. That is why they are offering the packages. Somehow I don't believe them.

I only have Freeview. I can't see any point in paying extra, to watch even more rubbish. In any case most of the "paid-for" channel programmes find their way to Freeview eventually.

I like TBBT - and, yes, I even enjoy it's repeats! Old films, cookery programmes but not competitions (of any sort). I'm currently watching "Bones" and "Castle" (you can tell how desperate I am!), documentaries (mainly History) on BBC2 but sometimes the choice (on 70+ channels!) is so dreadful I find myself watching Ideal World and QVC - I am a lost cause!

For ten years I didn't have a television (entirely my choice when the old one died). My work colleagues knew this and when I retired they bought me a television because "You will need it when you aren't going to work every day". It sat on the floor in the entrance hall, still in it's unopened box, for 3 months until I got fed up with bashing my shins on it and succumbed.

I much prefer the radio - the pictures are better :)

We've watched the first two episodes of an ABC summer series: "Take Two". It's a bit like cotton candy for the mind - all fluff, no nutritional value. Sorta like a "beach read". Perfect for these hot, humid days.

Premise, in case you didn't click: Actress has melt-down, going through rehab, now shadowing an ex-cop-turned-PI studying his job for an upcoming part. He isn't happy with the arrangement, since it was the favor he owed to an "ex" that caused him to be shadowed by said actress. A little danger and a lot of giggles ensues.

We've watched the first two episodes of an ABC summer series: "Take Two". It's a bit like cotton candy for the mind - all fluff, no nutritional value. Sorta like a "beach read". Perfect for these hot, humid days.

Premise, in case you didn't click: Actress has melt-down, going through rehab, now shadowing an ex-cop-turned-PI studying his job for an upcoming part. He isn't happy with the arrangement, since it was the favor he owed to an "ex" that caused him to be shadowed by said actress. A little danger and a lot of giggles ensues.

This show is a new offering from the creators of CASTLE. It is a mirror image of the original show.

The "cop" is now a guy instead of a woman. The sidekick is an actress who had a cop show series on TV instead of an author who wrote mysteries. The actress has learned a lot by doing the TV show as Castle learned a lot writing his novels. Both of the amateurs are lovable and good looking. Both cop figures are exasperated by their sidekicks but slowly learn to like them. Etc., etc.

As CG said, cotton candy...

Pre-first show, ABC was pretty clear that this was a sort of "Castle Light". Meanwhile, it will be Nathan Fillion's turn to play a cop in the new ABC show "The Rookie". I was surprised to learn that the premise of the show is based on a real 40-year-old who became a rookie cop. I'm pretty sure that's where the similarity ends.

I'd sort of like to watch The Rookie, but slotting it at 10:00PM on Tuesday's pits it directly against CBS's "NCIS: New Orleans". We watch CBS from 8 until 11 every Tuesday. It's going to be Nathan Fillion vs Scott Bakula. :ohmy: Decisions, decisions...

Pre-first show, ABC was pretty clear that this was a sort of "Castle Light". Meanwhile, it will be Nathan Fillion's turn to play a cop in the new ABC show "The Rookie". I was surprised to learn that the premise of the show is based on a real 40-year-old who became a rookie cop. I'm pretty sure that's where the similarity ends.

I'd sort of like to watch The Rookie, but slotting it at 10:00PM on Tuesday's pits it directly against CBS's "NCIS: New Orleans". We watch CBS from 8 until 11 every Tuesday. It's going to be Nathan Fillion vs Scott Bakula. :ohmy: Decisions, decisions...

Sooooo glad I got the cable turned off. I don't have to make that decision.:rolleyes:

Is anyone watching the new Paramount miniseries with Kevin Costner - "Yellowstone"? Mom LOVES almost anything with him in it, and the premise is halfway interesting - enough to keep me from doing something else & watching at the same time.

Warning though - it deserves every bit of the M rating it has.

Sooooo glad I got the cable turned off. I don't have to make that decision.:rolleyes:
Ah, but you don't NEED cable - Bakula is on CBS, Fillion is on ABC. We have an antenna in the attic for all of our TV viewing. I'm still gonna have to pick one.

...Warning though - it deserves every bit of the M rating it has.
With no kids in the house, I give those warnings a passing glance. Imagine my surprise when I noticed the "L" for language on an episode of "The Chew" this week. :LOL: The cast has been a bit more, um, vocal(?) for the last two weeks after learning the show has been cancelled. :LOL:

Is anyone watching the new Paramount miniseries with Kevin Costner - "Yellowstone"? Mom LOVES almost anything with him in it, and the premise is halfway interesting - enough to keep me from doing something else & watching at the same time.

Warning though - it deserves every bit of the M rating it has.

Thanks for the tip! Your Mom is right about Costner. ;)
We watched the first episode tonight and it looks like a keeper for something to watch this summer.

Don't let your kids watch it Charlie!

http://www.paramountnetwork.com/shows/yellowstone

Last edited:
July 4th is almost here in the USA....

Noon
ESPN 2 will be back again live with Nathan's hot dog eating contest:chef::pig::pig::chef:

At 8PM on TV.......
NBC has the Macy's Fireworks display.
PBS counters with the Washington DC show.

ANDDDD if you get the Bloomberg TV network they counter with the fireworks display from Boston that used to air on CBS.

PBS end at 9:30
NBC ends at 10 pm
Bloomberg ends at 11pm

Just posting to let you know...

Last edited:
July 4th is almost here in the USA....

Noon
ESPN 2 will be back again live with Nathan's hot dog eating contest:chef::pig::pig::chef:

At 8PM on TV.......
NBC has the Macy's Fireworks display.
PBS counters with the Washington DC show.

ANDDDD if you get the Bloomberg TV network they counter with the fireworks display from Boston that used to air on CBS.

PBS end at 9:30
NBC ends at 10 pm
Bloomberg ends at 11pm

Just posting to let you know...

I slept through the whole day and all the events. Every bit of it is just a repeat of every July 4th. I have been several time to the Esplanade to see the concerts and fireworks. And so have all my kids. I think living in Boston and being surrounded by all its history of the start of this country, tends to make a person blasé about the whole subject after a while. I know I am sick of taking trips to Charlestown and taking visiting guests, or Girl Scouts and other groups to go on the Constitution (Old Ironsides) and going to the top of Bunker Hill. Then they act surprised when they have to go through the same security check as you do at the airport. Including children.

Back
Top Bottom