"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-03-2007, 08:53 AM   #21
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
When did it become socially acceptable for a couple of mistakes to be okay?
When we realized that it was written by a human and that humans make mistakes.No one can be perfect 100% of the time and it expect that is unreasonable.

I think a letter home from the head of a school should be as error free as possible and should have been proofread and checked before it went out. If I got a letter though and it was missing a comma I would not freak out or anything. People make mistakes, period.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:13 AM   #22
Head Chef

In my case it is not an isolated incident. It happens quite often and it isn't one missing comma. We wonder what parents think. I, too, make many mistakes (did I say that?)

Old 12-03-2007, 09:22 AM   #23
Chief Eating Officer

In that case I agree it is not acceptable Elaine. My comment was directed solely at Vera who was asking when a couple of mistakes became acceptable.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:37 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Well, he stepped up and took responsibility. I went with a polite email and he replied. Fact was, this was his first communication as the new principal, ergo his first impression to the parents of the school. Not a stellar first impression for an academic leader. But he did apologize and I'll leave it at that. It was handled, he replied, and we move on. I'm sure the next letter home will be written correctly.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:39 AM   #25
Sous Chef

Well done Callisto, well done!!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:23 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
When we realized that it was written by a human and that humans make mistakes.No one can be perfect 100% of the time and it expect that is unreasonable.

I think a letter home from the head of a school should be as error free as possible and should have been proofread and checked before it went out. If I got a letter though and it was missing a comma I would not freak out or anything. People make mistakes, period.
You are trivializing my point. I'm not referring to the omission of a comma; and I don't believe the letter in question was simply missing a comma. Although, we were all taught how to correctly place commas in sentences. I'm referring to grammatically incorrect sentences, misspelled words, inappropriate participles, run on sentences.

Sending any communication without benefit of spell check or proofreading shows the sender is not overly concerned with how he presents himself. It also demonstrates that he is little disturbed by the fact that he thinks little enough of the recipient.

How we dress, how we conduct ourselves in public, how we converse, and even how we write are windows. Must a suit be one thousand dollars? No, but it should be neat and tidy. Is is imperative to know which fork to use for the seafood course? If you are planning to dine at a seafood restaurant, it is. Should we endeavour to speak clearly and concisely? Whyever would anyone ever consider otherwise?

Conversely, a letter delivered with errors is of little consequence, at the end of the day. However, it's the decided nature of society that one letter, one conversation, one meal in the presence of a boor is 'no big thing'. It's the adding and continued adding on of more improprieties that disturbs me. I reject that it's okay to have a couple of errors. If I permit it, then I'm demonstrating that I really don't deserve the very best that someone has to offer. If I continue to permit it, than I only serve to add to the situation.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:47 PM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

I do not think I am trivializing your point at all. You asked when it became socially acceptable for a couple of mistakes to be okay. A couple, in my book, is two. I was simply responding to your statement.

None of us know (with the exception of Callisto in NC) the extent of the mistakes made. We can assume from her post that they were more than a couple. In that case, as I have mentioned, I find it unacceptable. But when you ask a specific question as you did then I will answer that question and not one that I think maybe possibly you meant to ask instead. You asked about a couple and that is what I answered.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Six errors in the first paragraph alone. Spelling, capitalization, grammar, redundant sentence (putting the same statement in twice). Essentially it was a mess.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:13 PM   #29
Chief Eating Officer

Well it is a good thing he has apologized.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:30 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I do not think I am trivializing your point at all. You asked when it became socially acceptable for a couple of mistakes to be okay. A couple, in my book, is two. I was simply responding to your statement.

None of us know (with the exception of Callisto in NC) the extent of the mistakes made. We can assume from her post that they were more than a couple. In that case, as I have mentioned, I find it unacceptable. But when you ask a specific question as you did then I will answer that question and not one that I think maybe possibly you meant to ask instead. You asked about a couple and that is what I answered.

I was musing regarding expatgirl's post that a couple of errors in a letter were okay. I don't believe accepting one's human-ness is a pass to produce shoddy workmanship.