Letters home from school

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually she did not. Go back and read her post. She said she ran it through her spell checker and it came up with 7 errors.
She said she ran it through spell check, she didn't say she ran it through spell/grammar check. As I said, I ran it again using both and still don't get 7 errors.

Yes she said she ran it through her spell check (which she did) and got 7 errors (which she did). She did not say she got 7 spelling errors like you claim she said. She said her spell check (which also happens to check grammar) came back with 7 errors.

You have obviously chosen not to read what I wrote. FINE. What I said was I do not, running the passage through spell check with grammar check, get 7 errors. Spelling and/or grammar. I said that. You have chosen not to see that that's what I said. Yes, I assumed and stated so, that by running it through spell check she got spelling errors. She did not indicate she ran it through grammar check, only spell check. I then stated I re-ran it and still do not get 7 total of any kind errors. I get two and one British spelling. Grammar check found nothing on my computer with the level set at FORMAL.

It wurked for mi to jp, play nice everyone,it's just a discussion. Everyone makes honest mistakes that is how you learn,just dont make the same mistake twice.

You have obviously chosen not to read what I wrote. FINE. What I said was I do not, running the passage through spell check with grammar check, get 7 errors. Spelling and/or grammar. I said that. You have chosen not to see that that's what I said. Yes, I assumed and stated so, that by running it through spell check she got spelling errors. She did not indicate she ran it through grammar check, only spell check. I then stated I re-ran it and still do not get 7 total of any kind errors. I get two and one British spelling. Grammar check found nothing on my computer with the level set at FORMAL.
I am taking this to PM as this has gotten far off track of the original topic.

Wow. People have got really steamed over this one.:ermm: DC and spelling have a chequered history, perhaps we can move on quickly from this!?

VB is known as a stickler for correctness, I really admire that and love it in her. But even she can make the odd mistake...I'm not saying how many:LOL:

Nevertheless, I think a post on forum, however ironic it turns out to be, is a very different scenario from a headteacher's letter home to parents. Vera is not teaching my children nor writing in a professional capacity. Also, I would expect, if as most teachers do, she had hadn't it to a secretary to print out, or type up, it would have been proof read.

Callisto-- its a joke about hooked on phonics. Someone had to lighten things up, Thanks jp
You got hooked on phonics out of that? I thought it was a foreign language. Then again, I always looked at this picture and read it as Fudd as in Elmer. I had to have someone explain it to me. She was an elementary school teacher so she read in a different language than I did.

Interesting. I get no spelling errors. I get one British spelling for endeavour (my friend lives in Canada and that's how she spells it too) and I get one missed space between a word. That's all. There certainly weren't 7 in what she wrote.

I pasted it into Word and got 7 spelling and grammar errors ("whyever" was tagged as a spelling error). It didn't happen in this case, but sometimes items flagged as grammatical errors are really style differences, which is a matter of choice.

I pasted it into Word and got 7 spelling and grammar errors ("whyever" was tagged as a spelling error). It didn't happen in this case, but sometimes items flagged as grammatical errors are really style differences, which is a matter of choice.
That could be. It all depends on the setting you have your grammar check at. I also don't count endeavour because I add the U to rumour, behaviour, and switch the e and the r on theatre. Whyever was tagged spelling but was really a space issue. I'm still wondering what the other errors were which was the original point. I got three, what are the four others?

dogs are notoriously bad spellers.

i'd ask my dog how his day was, and he'd always reply "ruff". :rolleyes:

It's kind of a joke in my family, When we spell something they way it sounds and it's no right and someone in the family sees it, they always say you learned that through hooked on phonics didn't you. Then they usually fix the mistake and thats it. No one feels stupid that they didn't know how to spell a word.

That could be. It all depends on the setting you have your grammar check at. I also don't count endeavour because I add the U to rumour, behaviour, and switch the e and the r on theatre. Whyever was tagged spelling but was really a space issue. I'm still wondering what the other errors were which was the original point. I got three, what are the four others?

"Whyever" is not in the dictionary; I suppose that's why it was tagged a spelling error. If you're using American English, then endeavour, rumour, behaviour, and theatre are incorrect. Part of my day job is editing copy for publication; for professional purposes at least, it's important to choose a reference tool (a specific dictionary) and style guide (we use the Associated Press Stylebook) and to be consistent.

The other errors are:

Sentence fragment (and the comma should not be there) - Although, we were all taught how to correctly place commas in sentences.

Duplicate word - Is is

Requires "or" after "conversation" - However, it's the decided nature of society that one letter, one conversation, one meal in the presence of a boor is 'no big thing'.

Sentence fragment - Whyever would anyone ever consider otherwise?

Last edited:
"Whyever" is not in the dictionary; I suppose that's why it was tagged a spelling error. If you're using American English, then endeavour, rumour, behaviour, and theatre are incorrect. Part of my day job is editing copy for publication; for professional purposes at least, it's important to choose a reference tool (a specific dictionary) and style guide (we use the Associated Press Stylebook) and to be consistent.

The other errors are:

Sentence fragment (and the comma should not be there) - Although, we were all taught how to correctly place commas in sentences.

Duplicate word - Is is

Requires "or" after "conversation" - However, it's the decided nature of society that one letter, one conversation, one meal in the presence of a boor is 'no big thing'.

Sentence fragment - Whyever would anyone ever consider otherwise?
That's what I got too, but I also got the "passive voice - suggest active voice" flag.

Back
Top Bottom