"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Letters home from school

Okay, so we had a case of MRSA and the new principal sent a letter home. The letter is just this side of pathetic with grammar errors. Is it wrong to expect the principal to send home a correctly worded, grammatically correct letter? Even if his secretary wrote it, he should proof it, or have the English department proof it, before signing. Don't you think? Am I being unreasonable in my expectations? This is a High School principal, the possible last leader some children will have before going out into the real world. Shouldn't he make sure the letters he signs his name to are correct?

Or am I just expecting too much?

Old 12-02-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I guess I'm at a different stage in life. Maybe the important thing that day was getting the letter out. If it makes you feel better by all means say something. Where it will get you other than known as "that lady" I'm not sure

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Okay, so we had a case of MRSA and the new principal sent a letter home. The letter is just this side of pathetic with grammar errors. Is it wrong to expect the principal to send home a correctly worded, grammatically correct letter? Even if his secretary wrote it, he should proof it, or have the English department proof it, before signing. Don't you think? Am I being unreasonable in my expectations? This is a High School principal, the possible last leader some children will have before going out into the real world. Shouldn't he make sure the letters he signs his name to are correct?

Or am I just expecting too much?
No you are right they should have perfect grammar and punctuation.
I certainly dont all though I try I used to know it all but never really needed to use it much until I came here and to think I used to great grades for it.
However I do think I get my messages across
Old 12-02-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
I guess I'm at a different stage in life. Maybe the important thing that day was getting the letter out. If it makes you feel better by all means say something. Where it will get you other than known as "that lady" I'm not sure
Well, since the school knows I was the assistant to the PR director at the school district, they might know my thought process.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:10 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Yes as we get older its kind of ok but people working in the academic world must know this stuff.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:15 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Yes as we get older its kind of ok but people working in the academic world must know this stuff.
And that's where I'm coming from. This isn't from any old company, it's from the man leading the school teaching my daughter and grading her on her English skills.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
I got a letter home like that and my kids,who actually noticed the mistakes before me, were wondering what kind of grade they would get if they wrote something like that so we copied the letter without the school letter head or signature and they took it to their English teacher and asked them to edit it. You should have seen all the corrections. By the end of the day it was all around the school and they must have gotten the point because I have never received another letter like that.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:30 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki View Post
I got a letter home like that and my kids,who actually noticed the mistakes before me, were wondering what kind of grade they would get if they wrote something like that so we copied the letter without the school letter head or signature and they took it to their English teacher and asked them to edit it. You should have seen all the corrections. By the end of the day it was all around the school and they must have gotten the point because I have never received another letter like that.
That's great!! Glad the school got the point.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:54 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
It also made the kids see that everone makes mistakes. As much as we grownups want the kids to believe we are perfect , I'm sorry to say we are not.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Unfortunately, composition is one of the first classes to be lost to budget cuts. Before that class comes art, music appreciation, shop and home economics.

Too many people say it is the message that counts, and not the way it is received (or delivered). Hogwash, I say.