"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

After 40, I finally learned to say "No" to my kids. No, I don't have a couple of hundred dollars so you can buy a ticket to a concert where you can't even hear the music. Go to work and earn the money yourself. I need my money for traveling.

"No, I will not use my vaction time to babysit your kids while you go to Mexico for your vaction."

"No, I will not buy designer jeans for your kids for Christmas. They will get what I give them."

But in exchange, I started to develop a new arse ache each day. Who cares! I was off to wherever my newfound freedom was taking me. And spending my money on me.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:29 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

my second life began at 40. ok, well, 39 and 1/2.

dw and i had our son 6 months before my 40th birthday. before that, i lived a (what seems like now a) selfish life. it was all about experiencing life, having fun, working hard, and learning as i went along, no pressure or real responsibility. but in retrospect, it was all about me.

then my boy was born, and now to my great delight, nothing is about me but rather what i can teach from those years of experience, and what i can give back to both my family and my community.

i don't know what i did to deserve such a great gift as a wife and a son, but i wouldn't trade it for the world.

so yes, my life, my second life, began around 40.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Good Morning,

Truly interesting post ...

I aim and look at life in an extraordinaire manner, with a positive attitude in all I do and an openess as I learn something new daily.

I was born in 1962, thus, I had the gals when I was 18 ... They are 10 months apart.

I was involved in their upbringing, studying at same time and we lived abroad several years too ... and travelled extensively. Now the Gals are moms themselves and I am about to leave the my 40s ...

We do not look at the age factor as some people at 40 are really 90 in their mentality and the way they do not take care of their health & bodies and some at 50 are 30 ... we look at making use of every moment of our day, and enjoying all we do ...

Have some wkend.
39 Forever,
Margi.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:41 AM   #24
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
... The sudden bouts of forgetfulness are a little troubling as well. Nothing worse than opening the door of the fridge and forgetting what you were in there for. Or not being able to recall a word you've used a thousand times before. That one drives me nuts.
That's been happening to me all my life, and is still happening. I am easily distracted. It used to drive my school teachers nuts.
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:43 AM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
At 40 I embarked on a new adventure. Finished nursing school and found the vocation of a lifetime.
Wow! That is incredible! I have been wondering if I am now too old to start things, that are usually what way younger people do. Maybe, the 'it is never too late' cliche is true, afterall.

You dont look a day older than 40, in your profile pic. ;)
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
My spell checker always wants to spell my last name as "Ambiguous."
My spell checker lets me add words. My long, unusual last name is usually one of the first things that I add to a new spell checker.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #27
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel! View Post
Wow! That is incredible! I have been wondering if I am now too old to start things, that are usually what way younger people do. Maybe, the 'it is never too late' cliche is true, afterall.

You dont look a day older than 40, in your profile pic. ;)
Thanks Mel, I will be 52 this year. I started nursing school when I was 35, did the 4 year with a Bachelor's degree. If I can do it, anyone can. Before that I had been a cook and cashier. Took a stint in the nursing home as a nurse's aide to decide what I wanted to be when I grew up.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
My spell checker lets me add words. My long, unusual last name is usually one of the first things that I add to a new spell checker.
I know, but it cracks me up and I'm easily entertained.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #29
Executive Chef

@ Princess Fiona: You Are An Inspiration

Fiona,

I have been meaning to let you know that I have read your awesome and inspiring story about returning to Nursing Institute at the age of 40.

Your passion, the extensive hard labor put in to studying and learning and motivation to become a Nurse is amazing and for certain, you have accomplished your Professional Dream and have helped uncountable people in need and are continuing to do so.

Wonderful.

Have lovely wkend,
Margi. Cintrano.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #30
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Life begins when you start living it. I think 40 is kind of a turning point for many people. Kind of a mixture of youthful exuberance and wisdom that comes with age. I became a grandmother at 40. I was around 40 when I first experienced the Internet, both the bad and good (I put bad first for a reason!). I was around 40 when I devoted my life more fully to Jesus.

I definitely believe in living in the present, planning (but not over-planning) for the future, and not dwelling on the past.