"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

regrets, i've had a few; but then again, too few to mention. i did what I had to do, and saw it through without exemption.

i planned each charted course; each careful step along the byway.
but more, much more than this, i did it my way.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
...So knowing the heartache and regrets that it caused, my advice for young people is to not let your friends talk you into anything you could regret later. Don't just think of the here-and-now. Take time to think things through, and only do something if it is what you really want.

Barbara
Something has been weighing on my mind, and I feel I need to add a P.S. to my advice. My advice here is for parents of girls. I'm sure this is important for parents of boys as well, but it is critical for parents of girls.

Age 14 (and thereabouts) is a critical age for girls. That is the age my mom was when she thought about marrying some dorky kid because she wanted to be loved. That is the age I did I what I wrote about. Girls that age need to feel loved, and they will do whatever they can to get that. The thing is, it really has nothing to do with love so much as feeling needed and wanted. My parents loved me, and I knew it, but we were not a really close "I love you" and touchy feely kind of family (I was very huggy and lovey with my daughter). We also (and this is the biggest thing) didn't talk much about feelings (we did get better about that when I was grown).

So parents, please keep the lines of communication open between you and your kids. It is CRITICAL. It really is. And an "I love you" and a hug go a long way (even when they start acting like they are too old--just don't do it in front of their friends!).

Barbara

Old 09-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I regret ever dating Brian Wilk
Old 09-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
Senior Cook

The things I regret are the crossroads in a life lesson where I did not participate.

My parents had a problem. While I have no proof here other than how events progressed, I believe my Mother to have been bipolar (as am I) who developed a severe drinking problem. My Father was an enabler.

Now this may come as a surprise to you, but I was a recalcitrant and obstreperous child. I take after my maternal Grandfather, which is why my Mom was at wits end. (Granddad died just shy of 90 years old, sitting up in bed, eating a dish of ice cream drown in whiskey and chewing out my aunt Margie.)

However, my younger brother got trapped at home when I told my parents to "kiss my tail-light" and I wandered off. I never really left home in the traditional sense. I just got on my Harley and went to Madison on the weekends, and then simply stopped coming back. I wasted four years of my life in college. I should have gone to a trade school, I'm happier now as a knife sharpener.

For all of my bravado in that era, I should have urged my Father to get Mom into detox and rehab. I should have defended my little brother (now a college dean with a Maalox habit) and the moment I turned eighteen I should have enrolled in a trade school making custom cowboy boots.

But, my Dad was wealthy and he could cover up the messes, I was mobile and uncaring, and I didn't realize I was part of a dysfunctional family whether I was there or sunning myself in Sturgis.

Even missing, my Dad and Mom were so cloying and controlling that every meeting was considered an opportunity to rag on the objection du jour, until they drove my wife out of her own home in tears. If I was ever the traditional biker in thought, word and deed, it was that night when my feelings finally flamed from my mouth. It was thirty years overdue.

After that, we didn't see much of each other until the end. I saw Dad one more time until he died in his sleep. Other than at his side then, I did not see mother ever again. She died a few years ago of Alzheimers in a nursing home. And while not the award winning family, it crushed my brother, the true victim.

As is my custom, I made sure that every unkindness bestowed fom my parents was met with failure. They never won any battle over my clothes, my hair, my bikes, my wife, my choice of careers or my family involvement. Failure every time, as I promised.

I made sure that I took part of my inheritance and used it to purchase a new motorcycle. I did that for me.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie View Post
I regret ever dating Brian Wilk
Who is Brian Wilk?
Old 09-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

he came up with this fantastic site where people could enter informatuion which would be available online as a type on encyclopedia.

but, with his heart broken from a lost love, he sold the idea to another guy who changed the name. wilkipedia just didn't sound right...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:05 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

You're on a tear today BT, lol
Old 09-06-2008, 01:10 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Leave it to Bucky to make my day better! Thanks Bucky!!!!
Old 09-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

I regret not cashing in on the internet sooner. I would be a millionaire by now! I should have been building websites a long time ago.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #20
Executive Chef

My regrets are summed up into ages: 13 thru 17 and 20 thru 26. Yup, would like to redo those years. I was prety bummed 2-3 years ago before I got back into racing. Thinking I was too old, I found that alot of guys/gals my age are racing too.

30 is the new 20.