"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-07-2008, 10:46 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
My regrets are summed up into ages: 13 thru 17 and 20 thru 26. Yup, would like to redo those years. I was prety bummed 2-3 years ago before I got back into racing. Thinking I was too old, I found that alot of guys/gals my age are racing too.

30 is the new 20.

if you dont mind me asking... why wouid you redo those years?

Old 09-07-2008, 10:48 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
I have waited a long time to answer this thread, as I am 61 years old, been married 3 times, and have more regrets than you can imagine.

Thing being, it's no good to dwell on the past. Instead, think of how you can do better in the future.

We were all put here for a purpose. It's never too late.
sorry for the double post.. : x
you seem to have a lot of wisdom you can share with everyone else.. : x
any words of advice to those younger than you?

Old 09-07-2008, 11:51 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
I have waited a long time to answer this thread, as I am 61 years old, been married 3 times, and have more regrets than you can imagine.

Thing being, it's no good to dwell on the past. Instead, think of how you can do better in the future.

We were all put here for a purpose. It's never too late.

True That.

I'd like to nominate Constance for the Nobel prize. Her response was spot-on perfect.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:53 AM   #34
DC Grandma

It would take all night to list my regrets..I think after you loose a loved one (in my case it was two loved ones ) you think back and think " why did I do that or why didn't I do that etc. Do you understand what I am saying?? Tell others how much they mean to you, think before you act...to quote Paul " Put your mind in gear before you put your mouth in motion" I ended up with my foot in my mouth many times....

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:27 AM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove View Post
It would take all night to list my regrets..I think after you loose a loved one (in my case it was two loved ones ) you think back and think " why did I do that or why didn't I do that etc. Do you understand what I am saying?? Tell others how much they mean to you, think before you act...to quote Paul " Put your mind in gear before you put your mouth in motion" I ended up with my foot in my mouth many times....
I do know what you mean, Dove. All of my family is gone. Give yourself some time. I made peace with things I had no control over, or could not change, and knew that they knew how I felt about them, & vice versa.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:08 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke king View Post
True That.

I'd like to nominate Constance for the Nobel prize. Her response was spot-on perfect.
I second your nomination, smoke king. Constance has shared a lot of wisdom here at DC and she's always right on the mark. Thanks Connie.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #37
Senior Cook

After reading all of the comments here, I'm faced with one question. If we could turn back time, would we change our behavior? For example, a soldier might regret his actions, but those actions secured the survival for himself and buddies.

There is no question here, I have regrets. But like a baptism of fire, they galvanized the person I am.

When I sit home some nights, lovely wife, nice warm home, most of my bones unbroken, secure in retirement, treasured bichon in my lap, long list of enemies shuddering at the sound of every V-twin and at the top of my craft, I realize that this condition came only from pain.

Going back in time and snuffing but one butterfly may have taken away that entire happy ending.

Yes, I have regrets, but that was the cost of admission.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiksolved View Post
sorry for the double post.. : x
you seem to have a lot of wisdom you can share with everyone else.. : x
any words of advice to those younger than you?
Yes, I do.

1. Think before you act. Imagine the worst possible consequences of what you're about to do, and ask yourself if you are willing to pay the price. This isn't being paranoid, it's just being sensible.

2. Remember that one thoughtless act can alter the course of your life.

3. Everything you do affects those who love you, so that one thoughtless act can also cause them pain and

suffering through no fault of their own.

4. With a few exceptions, everyone has something good about them. Look for the good and overlook the bad as best you can. After all, you're not perfect either.

5. Instead of criticizing others, walk a mile in their shoes.

6. Learn to forgive. Mean feelings will eat you up inside.

7. If you see someone in need, help him if you can. It could just as easily be you in his place.

8. You've heard that you should live each day as if it were your last, because for all you know it might be. The same goes for your loved ones...take time for them, hug them and express your feelings. They might not be here tomorrow.

9. Learn from your mistakes. It's never too late to change your life.

10. Believe in yourself. You can work miracles.

And most important...learn to laugh at yourself!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #39
Master Chef

I think you will always have them, and as Smoke King mentioned, the key is not to let them take over your life.

I had a bout with this when my mom passed away and I went through several years of regrets/pains/heartache. I did not realize how much damage I was causing myself.

But my main regret is not following my dreams for my career. When I was younger, I wanted to be a free lance artist illustrating album covers and books. Now I want to get into wild life rehab.... guess it is NEVER to late!
Old 09-08-2008, 01:25 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Looking back there are at least 10 years in my life I would rather consider NOT existed, would like to eradicate from my memory. I wish those periods could have been credited back into my "account". (sorry I can't go into details... it could well turn into a very boring, not particularly pleasant saga...)