Lifetime National Park Pass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadfix

Chef Extraordinaire
Now that I'm old enough I think I'm going to get a lifetime, senior National Park Pass before the major price increase by the end of the month. I have no idea when I'll be visiting a NP again but I'd like to have that card in my wallet, just in case....

Now that I'm old enough I think I'm going to get a lifetime, senior National Park Pass before the major price increase by the end of the month. I have no idea when I'll be visiting a NP again but I'd like to have that card in my wallet, just in case....

There are some benefits to aging.

How old do you have to be, and how much is it, roadfix?

There are several small National Parks here that we visit (mostly beaches, or for hiking/canoeing) so I'd like to get one if I qualify.

How old do you have to be, and how much is it, roadfix?

There are several small National Parks here that we visit (mostly beaches, or for hiking/canoeing) so I'd like to get one if I qualify.

Bucky, once you turn 62 you can purchase a National Park Senior Pass for $10 up until August 28.
We got ours as soon as DH turned 62.

Yep, 62. I'm going to my local NP office to sign up. It's conveniently located very close to the REI I frequent. I guess you need to go in person for this particular pass, not available on-line.

I've had my senior pass for 8 years, since the summer after I turned 62.

Even after the price increase goes into effect, it's still a great deal. $80 for access to all national parks and most national monuments for the rest of your life is just about the best deal you will find anywhere.

OK, I'm confused...... It says you can apply for the senior pass in one of two ways, either in person or by mail. It does not mention online.

Not sure which site you're on, but if you hit the link above, this a quote from NPS.gov :

Senior Pass

Cost: $10 lifetime pass (see note in "how to purchase" for more details)
Available for: U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over. Applicants must provide documentation of age and residency or citizenship.
How to purchase:
In person at a federal recreation site (see PDF list of federal recreation sites that issue passes)
Online–buy now from the USGS store!
Through the mail using this application form (PDF).
NOTE: The cost of obtaining a Senior Pass through the mail or online is $20. $10 for the Senior Pass and $10 for processing the application.
The price of the lifetime Senior Pass will increase to $80 on August 28, 2017. A new $20 annual Senior Pass will become available at the same time. See more information about changes to the Senior Pass.
Additional information:
The Senior Pass may provide a 50 percent discount on some amenity fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services.
The Senior Pass generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessioners.
Golden Age Passports are no longer sold. However, these passes will continue to be honored according to the provisions of the pass.

We got our pass at the next National Park that we went to after DH's 62nd b-day. Granted that was quite a few years back, at this point in time, in order to take advantage of the lesser price, you need to get yours before (our post mark by) August 28, 2017.

Thanks, Kaneohegirlinaz, it's the state parks I'm really interested in. When they raised the fees on those a bunch of years back, I figured I'd never see the inside of a state park again in my life. Five years ago it was $20 to just drive in the gate and an additional $15+ to camp overnight. Who knows what the rates are now. Families used to go in and just have a day picnic. Not any more. From what I understand, those local little parks are pretty much deserted now.

Last edited:
Thanks, Kaneohegirlinaz, it's the state parks I'm really interested in. When they raised the fees on those a bunch of years back, I figured I'd never see the inside of a state park again in my life. Five years ago it was $20 to just drive in the gate and an additional $15+ to camp overnight. Who knows what the rates are now. Families used to go in and just have a day picnic. Not any more. From what I understand, those local little parks are pretty much deserted now.

Obviously, state parks are managed by each state, and a national parks pass wouldn't work for them. We bought an annual pass for Colorado state parks and daily fees for Nebraska and Iowa parks are quite reasonable. We spent 5 nights in Iowa parks and 3 nights in Nebraska earlier this year. No idea on the costs for any others.

Back
Top Bottom