"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #1
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Lift 'Em Up Thread

Ok, enough of the gloom and doom. We have a petty vents thread, and the more serious venting thread. I think we need an uplifting thread. This one will help us to remember that no matter how grim the world may seem at times, it is still a wonderful place to live.

I'm looking for little stories, or experiences that will lift us up, and make us feel like it's a beautiful sunny day, in a big field of lush, green grass, with a pic-a-nic basket (ya just gotta say it like Yogi did. It's better that way) of goodies, no ticks, chiggers, horseflies, or other biting bugs, and great family and friends enjoying a game of checkers, or horseshoes, or kids playing tag, maybe someone flying a kite.

Here's my first little picker upper:

I was sitting at work, being bored out of my mind as all of my tasks were finished, and I still had two hours of work to go. I am required to complete and document at least 7 hours of ticket time (we get work tickets assigned to us). I hadn't yet taken my afternoon break, and received a call on my personal cell phone that lifted me up. Seems that Sprout didn't quite have the flavor she was looking for in her chili. I made a few suggestions to her as to things she could add to get the specific flavor she wanted. She thanked me and we both went about our day.

What made this an uplifting story for me was that I know that my opinion is valued, that my children will come to me for help, that I got to talk to my daughter, and that I got to help someone. Any one of those things by itself is uplifting. Put them all together and it puts ya on cloud 12, which is better than cloud 9.

Now, tell me something uplifting, it doesn't have to be about family. It doesn't have to be current. It can be as simple as a stranger being courteous. It just needs to be true, and uplifting.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

__________________

__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,923
Nice, Chief

I have one: I'm taking a writing class and many of the topics I write about pertain to food. I wrote one story about how I discovered cooking with fresh herbs and the instructor and my classmates loved it. It was very gratifying to have helpful feedback on what I had done, and questions about what additional information or details they would like to read about.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Nice, Chief

I have one: I'm taking a writing class and many of the topics I write about pertain to food. I wrote one story about how I discovered cooking with fresh herbs and the instructor and my classmates loved it. It was very gratifying to have helpful feedback on what I had done, and questions about what additional information or details they would like to read about.
Nice!

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,899
I really like this idea Chief!

I never miss the TV show Sunday Morning on CBS. It's on very early so we record it weekly to watch later in the morning. It never fails to inspire me with it's consistently wonderful stories and today was no exception. Do yourself the favor of watching this particular video to the end.

Mitch Albom on the intersection of life and death - Videos - CBS News
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,090
Now that the warm weather is here, I will be getting out more. And I am looking forward to my daily trip up Bennington Street. There is an old gentleman that sits out on his steps with his walker handy. Even if I have no place to go, I try to go past him when I just ride in a circle right back home. I always stop and give him a smile with a loving "Good Morning." I stay long enough to discuss how nice it is out and then I make my turn to head back home at the next corner. I don't know his name, but I have been seeing him there for the past four years. Considering my age, that could very well be me sitting there. It is my goal this year to find something to talk to him about any subject other than the weather. I will find something we have in common. I may even get off my scooter and sit down on his front stoop while talking to him. I haven't sat on a front stoop in years.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Now that the warm weather is here, I will be getting out more. And I am looking forward to my daily trip up Bennington Street. There is an old gentleman that sits out on his steps with his walker handy. Even if I have no place to go, I try to go past him when I just ride in a circle right back home. I always stop and give him a smile with a loving "Good Morning." I stay long enough to discuss how nice it is out and then I make my turn to head back home at the next corner. I don't know his name, but I have been seeing him there for the past four years. Considering my age, that could very well be me sitting there. It is my goal this year to find something to talk to him about any subject other than the weather. I will find something we have in common. I may even get off my scooter and sit down on his front stoop while talking to him. I haven't sat on a front stoop in years.
Do you play any games? I'm thinking Othello would be the ultimate game to play with this gentleman, easy concept, great strategy game that makes you think.

And yep, that's a great up-lifter, what you're doing, both for you and the gentleman.

I'll throw a story in here. I was walking down the "trail", a part of our casino, heading for a phone to repair. There were two ladies and a man who were sitting in chairs, eating ice cream. I stopped and told them a good joke that could not be offensive to anybody, but was great for the Northern climate in which I live. They all laughed, and it made their day just a little brighter. I believe they were visiting us from Detroit. It does a heart good to make people smile. It makes the world just a little better place to live in.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,090
Someone once said, "If you someone without a smile, give them yours." And I try to every chance I get. A simple nod of the head and a big smile, seems to make their day. And mine.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Now that the warm weather is here, I will be getting out more. And I am looking forward to my daily trip up Bennington Street. There is an old gentleman that sits out on his steps with his walker handy. Even if I have no place to go, I try to go past him when I just ride in a circle right back home. I always stop and give him a smile with a loving "Good Morning." I stay long enough to discuss how nice it is out and then I make my turn to head back home at the next corner. I don't know his name, but I have been seeing him there for the past four years. Considering my age, that could very well be me sitting there. It is my goal this year to find something to talk to him about any subject other than the weather. I will find something we have in common. I may even get off my scooter and sit down on his front stoop while talking to him. I haven't sat on a front stoop in years.
Wayhay! (to the tune of "Ring-a-Ring O' Roses") Addies-got-a-boyfriend!

Now, we need to know. Is he rich? Is he handsome? (You notice I have my priorities in the right order.)

(Sorry for teasing, Addie, but I couldn't resist)
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Ok, enough of the gloom and doom. We have a petty vents thread, and the more serious venting thread. I think we need an uplifting thread. This one will help us to remember that no matter how grim the world may seem at times, it is still a wonderful place to live.

I'm looking for little stories, or experiences that will lift us up, and make us feel like it's a beautiful sunny day, in a big field of lush, green grass, with a pic-a-nic basket (ya just gotta say it like Yogi did. It's better that way) of goodies, no ticks, chiggers, horseflies, or other biting bugs, and great family and friends enjoying a game of checkers, or horseshoes, or kids playing tag, maybe someone flying a kite.

Here's my first little picker upper:

I was sitting at work, being bored out of my mind as all of my tasks were finished, and I still had two hours of work to go. I am required to complete and document at least 7 hours of ticket time (we get work tickets assigned to us). I hadn't yet taken my afternoon break, and received a call on my personal cell phone that lifted me up. Seems that Sprout didn't quite have the flavor she was looking for in her chili. I made a few suggestions to her as to things she could add to get the specific flavor she wanted. She thanked me and we both went about our day.

What made this an uplifting story for me was that I know that my opinion is valued, that my children will come to me for help, that I got to talk to my daughter, and that I got to help someone. Any one of those things by itself is uplifting. Put them all together and it puts ya on cloud 12, which is better than cloud 9.

Now, tell me something uplifting, it doesn't have to be about family. It doesn't have to be current. It can be as simple as a stranger being courteous. It just needs to be true, and uplifting.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
A few weeks ago I was on my way to the post office in the village having had a bl**dy awful morning when everything that couldn't possibly go wrong had gone wrong. I was waiting to cross the road when a chap I don't know but have seen a couple of times called out to me "Isn't it a lovely day and you're looking very nice." Cheered me up no end.
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #10
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Someone once said, "If you someone without a smile, give them yours." And I try to every chance I get. A simple nod of the head and a big smile, seems to make their day. And mine.
I agree!

I live in an apartment complex with many older folks and they tend to enjoy the nice days by sitting on the park benches located in the courtyard. I always make it a point to stop and exchange a few words, instead of just "running the gauntlet" as some other tenants seem to do.

I think it really is true that you can "choose to be happy!" or "brighten your corner where ever you are" or a million other sappy saying that all just happen to be true!
__________________

__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.