Lightning Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NAchef

Sous Chef
Here are some pics I took last night, thought you all may enjoy.

4864805824_2bc74438b1_z.jpg

4864180011_1975a4fb81_z.jpg

4864188299_554ae25ef7_z.jpg

The last one is over the Kennecott Copper Mine in SLC UT

Hope you all enjoy!

We have a term in Bengali 'bivatso sundor' means frightening yet beautiful.

So these pictures are 'bivatso sundor'.

OMGosh! So beautiful, any rain from that? I would have loved to have been there.

One of these days, I'll be hit by lightning, because of standing outside in thunderstorms.

Thanks all!

I took 115 shots that night with a friend, 40+ I got strikes.

30 sec., 4.0f - 7.1f Is what I generally had it set at.

OMG........I would have been under the bed, just like a dog. We never have lightening like that.......scares the bejebbers outa me, but the pictures sure are pretty!

Beautiful! I love thunderstorms, but take them pretty seriously. My brother was struck by lightning years ago (he's fine now--but had residual pain for years). That's also why I don't bother with umbrellas. As an RN, every patient I ever had that had been struck by lightning was holding keys and an umbrella (including my bro). Luckily it doesn't rain too much where I live!

Those are fantastic! Care to share your technique?

Wasn't sure if I "shared" my technique when I posted the f-stop and shutter speed, so I thought I would post a little more.

The picture was taken on a 30 sec exposure, which means that the camera will record everything it sees for 30 sec. I don't have to hit the button real quick or anything like that. Just set the camera in the direction of the storm, set up the camera and the settings you want and fire away.

There is luck involved, this was a busy night and I missed more lightning stikes than I got. I can't tell you how many times my friend and I said "Dang, I just missed that one" Either out of field of view or not taking a pic at that time.

Long exposures are fun!

Thanks for the compliments, I haven't felt my picture were very good so I had not taken very many of them for about 5 years. Just starting to get back into it.

Last edited:
Thanks. It was a lot of fun!

Next on my to do list is "Light Graffiti" or "Light Painting" If you google it there are some very neat pictures. I will post some when I get them done.

I have an artist friend who has a photographer she uses for certain things. He was experimenting with light painting a number of years ago. I helped them with one of the photos where we had a 30 minute exposure. I was dressed in black from head to toe and my job was to carry her son in and out of the exposure. It ended up looking like he was an angel flying around the room. It was a lot of fun.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom