Like the show or not, last night Iron Chef was great.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
Bobby Flay kicked the opponent's butt last night. The secret ingredient... spinach..

He made the spinach stand out as the leading flavor in 5 dishes.. Very creative!! Talk about a tough ingredient to have as a leading flavor. Spinach is one of those vegetables that is a good accompaniment, seldom does it really lead.

The more I see him cook, the more impressed I am with his skills...

I used to not like the show. The idiotic theatrics in the opening etc. for me could be eliminated. The cooking that is done I find interesting.

I started watching this and unfortunately fell asleep :blush: I would have liked to see the final dishes of both. I would have LOVED to had some of that mac and cheese!!!!!!

***just a friendly reminder to not make this a "bash FoodTV" thread :rolleyes: :winkiss:***

I am an avid watcher of Iron Chef America, and the Challenge shows. I draw inspiration from many of the concoctions, and sometimes, the food looks like it could be spectacular. I also like watching Boby Flay's Throwdown shows. Again, I get ideas from what he does. The same is true of the other Iron chef's. They make very interesting food from some pretty difficult theme ingredients.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I'll keep an eye out for that one. I love spinach.

I do the same thing as GW. Some of those wacky dishes can throw on a lightbulb.

Jeff, have you ever watched the original Iron Chef?

Bobby Flay kicked the opponent's butt last night. The secret ingredient... spinach..

He made the spinach stand out as the leading flavor in 5 dishes.. Very creative!! Talk about a tough ingredient to have as a leading flavor. Spinach is one of those vegetables that is a good accompaniment, seldom does it really lead.

I used to not like the show. The idiotic theatrics in the opening etc. for me could be eliminated. The cooking that is done I find interesting.

not on my tv.... Iron Chef America last night was Michael Symons (the new guy) and I can't remember who the challenger was. I didn't watch, bjust saw who it was in passing.

Bobby Flay clearly has cooking skills, but lacks many when it comes to dealing with the opposite sex. I prefer to avoid him. :ermm:

I agree. Camp and theatrics aside, Iron Chef, original or American, is some dang good cooking instruction.

I love greens, spinach included, so I really enjoyed the show.

Bobby Flay clearly has cooking skills, but lacks many when it comes to dealing with the opposite sex. I prefer to avoid him. :ermm:

Why do you say that? We watch Iron Chef and Throwdown all the time (his Throwdown assistants give as good as they get), I've seen his "chefography" (video biography), and we saw him in person doing a cooking demonstration a couple of weeks ago. I like him a lot - bought a cookbook, got it signed, and spoke to him for a couple of minutes.

Mr Flay is not well liked in NYC and vicinity for the way he treated his first wife and many female employees.

Apart from his personal life, (which I know little about) I enjoy his cooking and enjoyed watching Iron Chef last night. I was really impressed with the spinach dishes both chef's presented. However I thought the challenger got carried away with the foam on all his presentations.

Last edited:
Well, I enjoy his cooking and shows, too. Here's hoping he's learned the error of his ways.

I'm not a big fan of spinach, but some of the dishes looked great. I should try a souffle sometime - I made one in a cooking class once and really liked it, but haven't made it since.

Buck and I enjoy watching Iron Chef and also like Bobby Flay. We also like to see when there's a "new kid on the block."

We didn't see last night's program and I would like to have seen it because I'm always looking for more/different ways of preparing spinach. I'll be sure to catch it the next time it airs.

Thanks for the heads up.

It will be on another bunch of times this week.

Flay is impressive.

Mr Flay is not well liked in NYC and vicinity for the way he treated his first wife and many female employees.

This saddens me because he comes accross as such a gentlemen, albeit with a bit of an ego, on his TV shows. But the line at the bottom of my posts is how I really feel. It's a standard by which I live my life. And anybody that mistreats others due to gender goes way down in my eyes. And anybody that mistreats their spouse, be it man or woman, well all I can say is that we have to forgive. For us, it's a commandment. But if what you say is true, then there will be a reckoning, and not by me.

Our families are our greatest treasure. But as a chef, and cook, the guy knows his stuff.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I'll keep an eye out for that one. I love spinach.

I do the same thing as GW. Some of those wacky dishes can throw on a lightbulb.

Jeff, have you ever watched the original Iron Chef?

Twice, thought it was really bad. That show is why it took me so long to start watching the American version..

Interesting that you all don't like the original. I thought the food was far more interesting in the original, and the chefs hugely talented... besides that, I can't stand Alton Brown in his role as "I'don't-know-what." Among my big issues with him in that role is that he mispronounces so many cooking terms and ingredients, and because most people consider him an "authority," they then think those misprons are correct. :ohmy:

i greatly preferred the original. besides techniques, there were so many japanese and other ingredients that i'd never heard of, let alone would try to cook with.

also, they were able to make the campiness work. it was just weird enough to be interesting.

the american version is fun to watch for the cooking, but the ridiculous chairman saying "iron chef amewica" bugs me.
alton as a moderator would have sufficed as a "chairman", without the silliness and allez cuisine!

also, jeffrey steingartens sloppy eating bugs me. the guy might be a culinary genius, but he's got the looks for radio.

Back
Top Bottom