"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-10-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
Everymom

Little bird, little lesson

Bear with me, I'll try to edit so this isn't a novel, but it might be longer than I expect.

I was walking down our alley yesterday enjoying the breeze and listening to the birds chirping when a movement at my feet startled me. To my surprise a little bird (a junco) was hopping along in front of me. It was clearly injured. So I watched it for a minute or two hoping it would fly off or at least get to a safer location.

Nope. This bird was not doing well. I crouched down and slowly got closer talking softly so it wouldn't be scared, (who was I kidding? this is a WILD bird!) and put my hand out. To my surprise it put a little claw on my hand. I took this as consent to touch it and gently picked it up and carried it home. I wasn't quite sure what I would do once I got there, but I knew I couldn't leave that little bird for the local kitties to find.

So, the girls rushed around and got out our old hamster cage and little food and water dishes. We set the bird in there with everything and put it on the back deck to have some quiet to recover. It seemed to be doing well, hopping about, eating etc. After a while we took it to the grass to see if it would fly. Nope. So, back into the cage. We brought it into the house and put it downstairs in a bathroom to have a sleep and see if it would recover.

It didn't. This morning it was clearly not doing well and it was only a short time until the poor thing expired. I know I should have done the merciful thing and put it out of its misery but I just couldn't do that. I knew it didn't have long anyway.

OK, so now for the lesson part. I was feeling bad and was telling myself I should have just left the poor little thing to its fate rather than trying to help. I went to the cage to dispose of its little body after the girls left for school and what do I see? A little palm cross (the girls made them in church yesterday) sitting on top of the cage. I choked right up. Even if I made the wrong decision in bringing that little bird home, I made the right decision. I got to see that my girls have beautiful hearts and feel sympathy and compassion for even a tiny little bird.

Just thought I would share this one for all you other mushy hearted folks out there. You get to hear about me disciplining my kids when they do something wrong, so I just thought it would be nice to let you know that my kids do some things very very right.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

That is beautiful. Very sad, but beautiful.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
That's a great story! You're girls are good kids. Thanks Alix.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Awww Alix how touching. Thank you for sharing that story with us.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:00 PM   #5
Master Chef

you know, you COULD have left it to it's fate, but, you didn't! You didn't because you are too warm hearted to ignore a creature in pain.
And you know what else, I would rather that poor little bird die in your care than at the mouth of a cat or other animal. It had a little happiness before it died. Your girls showed that they care as did their mom!! Be happy that you found it before it died horribly. Good for you and your girls!!!
Old 04-10-2006, 03:20 PM   #6
Master Chef

I think you did the right thing Alix, and it also seems that it may have taught your family something in the process of it all. I would have done the same thing!!
Old 04-10-2006, 04:44 PM   #7
Everymom

Thanks guys. Its nice to be able to share stuff like this with y'all. Also nice to know I'm not the only mushpot in the house!
Old 04-10-2006, 06:01 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Im with Texas Girl I do stuff like that all the time .Think of it as it had a few happy peaceful hours.If you had left it to chance you can be sure a cat or dog would have gotten it and that would have been a whole lot worse for the little creature.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Another point! If you had walked away doing nothing you would have felt whole lot worse.But you couldn't and thats what makes you an exceptional human being.Dont change!
Old 04-10-2006, 08:00 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Thanks guys. Its nice to be able to share stuff like this with y'all. Also nice to know I'm not the only mushpot in the house!
Alix this doesn't make you a mushpot. It just means you're a human being with a very kind, caring heart. You deserve tons of Karma for it too