"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-29-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Little girls and chickens...

Just dropped middle daughter off at University this week end...two down one to go. I've been feeling a little heartsore.....Last night I prepared a roast chicken dinner with all the fixings - I was missing my daughter, it's her favourite meal. She was so busy saying good-bye to all her friends in that last week before d-day, she was hardly home. As I got busy preparing the meal, I was musing about how it seems my girls were only little things just the other day! Suddenly I remembered a Sunday about 17 years ago, when my eldest was 4, and I was busy getting a chicken ready to roast. She was next to me, her head eye level with the counter, chatting away. I had moved over, busy with stuffing or something, and there was a brief silence as she stood staring at the raw chicken, waiting on a plate to be stuffed. And then, a serious little voice, "hey Mommy! I think I found the place where they shot the chicken". ;)

Old 08-29-2005, 09:37 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
awwwww sandy. that's bittersweet. that time will be here for me in only 8 short years *sigh*

Old 08-29-2005, 11:49 PM   #3
Head Chef

Several years ago when I was about 9 and my brother was about 5 we got together and played cowboys and indians with our great aunts chicken and boy did we give those chickens a run for their life.

- WOODROW WILSON
tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 01:04 AM   #4
Head Chef

Hearing stories about chickens reminds me of a story my mama told me about being chased around by a "guinea". I guess they can get pretty rough! Just think...soon you will be going to your daughters home for the chicken!
Old 08-30-2005, 01:06 AM   #5
Contest Winner

Wink

I remember Rocking with Anna early in the mornings feeding her a bottle. And when she was afraid Running behind my leg. I became "INVINCIBLE" I could feel the Armour and I knew No One Could get Through Me To Her!
Old 08-30-2005, 01:10 AM   #6
Head Chef

I felt the same way with my three boys...until they became teenagers...then I used them for my armour! lol
Old 08-30-2005, 07:54 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh Sandy,

I know how you feel...I had four leave the nest and each one took a little piece of my heart with them...Now my little grandson Cade started kindergarten last tuesday and I still find myself getting things ready to make his breakfast, then realize he isn't coming ..It gets better, but it hurts like the dickens though. Just wait til that first break in school, and the hug and smile you'll get
kadesma
Old 08-30-2005, 08:00 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Thanks for the encouragement! My eldest and youngest daughters have been keeping upwith their sister via instant messaging & keeping me posted (I'm not allowed to hover). My eldest hates that story about finding the place where they shot the chicken, but it's one of my best memories. ;)
Old 08-30-2005, 08:04 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Oh, and Kadesma, how selfish of me not to say anything about your little grandson going off to kindergarten - how you must miss him! Well, for now, you can still sniff his sweet little boy smell and give him hug when he comes home!
Old 08-30-2005, 08:21 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Not selfish at all Sandy, I know that your heart is in the right place But, a big thank you for your thoughts.

kadesma