"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-17-2008, 08:33 PM   #11
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Maybe the rug in the middle of the floor is like training wheels on a kid's bike. She doesn't really need it, but she needs to know it is there in case she does need it.

Barbara

Old 12-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Buy the dog a rug.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:15 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

The only rug she's getting is the one she's eventually rolled up in

Old 12-17-2008, 09:21 PM   #14
Master Chef

LOL fickle sometimes aren't they? Well its either a rug or a little training coming up. Our newest little one (a little white toy fox hound with maybe some chi in her) now spends most of her time sitting in front of the heating vents, LOL. Apparently she thinks I do not keep the house warm enough for her...
Old 12-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Buy the dog a rug.
I agree, Fred.

Life's too short!

Lee
Old 12-17-2008, 09:31 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
I agree, Fred.

Life's too short!

Lee
Too short for what? To be filled with challenges?
If it's not the toilet going down slow, it's my dog acting goofy

Or that stupid lump charcoal not burning consistently

She's walked across that floor like nothing half a dozen times tonight. Now she's carrying on because she's "on the wrong side". I love a challenge, albeit a mild challenge
Old 12-17-2008, 09:33 PM   #17
Master Chef

We women are just like that...sorry.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
One simple question - do her nails need clipping? The tile might be more of an issue than the other floor coverings. I had a friend who thought his dog was so old and feeble and I told him to take the dog to get his nails clipped and for goodness sake...clip that hair from in front of his eyes!!!!!!!!!!!! That's all it was - the dog could walk across the tile floor again without bumping into anything! There were two rugs in the kitchen and it was all it could do to get from one to the other; but, the rug is where he felt safest.

Just a thought.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:25 PM   #19
Sous Chef

LOL Pacanis... I can never figure my boys out. ... they ATE my stairs ones I built by hand... cheweed the corner off every riser I could kill them for that... I dont even know how to fix it because the only detail I can think of involves steel nosings.. Somedays like today they are totally good... no poop no destruction some days I come home to total disaster. My big boy has developed some sort of car craziness he is suddenly insane over cars... he goes crazy when I walk him people look at me like he must be some sort of vicious monster because he is up on hind legs barking growling writhing... at the dog park if a car passes he runs along side it at full speed l in a tuck like a greyhound... this is new he never did it before. I have no idea what triggered it. My dogs are young right now so its mostly trying to manage their energy. and both of their needs for attention. They are totally different but both equally needy.

Dogs get scared of stuff as they get older too... I had a lab-sheperd mix for 18 years we went through alot with her... she had to be carried upstairs at night because she would not walk up but got depressed if she had to stay down. When we tried to make her sleep on the first floor she got depressed... she would do noting but sigh and wheeze and not even make eye contact... after a night upstairs she would happily spring out of bed like a puppy. She was inconsolable at thunder and was afraid of any loud noise or bang.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:03 PM   #20
Master Chef

That is very odd pacanis, but I don't have a clue what could be causing her distress with that area. Have you tried praising her when she crosses? Or the other thought is just to give her time. Dogs do get hang ups from time to time and just need to work it out themselves.