"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-18-2008, 12:19 AM   #21
Head Chef

ok, another odd option but what about your weather? When it's bad (or going go be bad), both "babies" get weird. The cat who is 12, who was rescued from the street when she was 4 months old, who under normal circumstances hates us, can't get close enough. And our dog who is 7'ish, adopted from the humane society, loves his bed at night, insists on sleeping between us. Just another thought...

Old 12-18-2008, 08:03 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

I feel for you Pancho. She's had one knee operation and has partially torn ligaments in the other, plus arthritis in one hip. Stairs are not her forte, but there's no way she would stay downstairs. Sometimes in the morning she will get up an hour later than the rest of us, I think it's because she knows she has to navigate the stairs.

So, update.
Last night it didn't take her too long to come upstairs. And this morning she walked right into the living room like nothing was wrong. Then an hour later, with everyone's breakfast bowls in hand, I was able to coax her back through "the room". The way she came through it was not directly across from doorway to doorway, but rather she hugged the walls so she wouldn't have to cross the middle of the room, looking at the middle the whole time, like some kind of monster was there. Weird, but better.

Oh, and her nails are fine and she's never had weather problems. She has no problem with the kitchen linoleum or the tile floors out at work. It's strictly that she doesn't like the look of that floor area now.

I've got a Persian type rug. Maybe I will bite the bullet and see if laying that out eases her fears. Until my youngest thinks it's a toy (lol).

Old 12-18-2008, 09:23 AM   #23
Head Chef

Maybe she is afraid she will be sucked into the same vortex that swallowed the rug?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Maybe she is afraid she will be sucked into the same vortex that swallowed the rug?
That was good
Old 12-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #25
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post

Y'know, I think you've got it!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:22 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Maybe the rug in the middle of the floor is like training wheels on a kid's bike. She doesn't really need it, but she needs to know it is there in case she does need it.

Barbara
My shepard was that way on bare floors he was afraid of slipping so I put a few small small rugs around and slowly would remove one once a week he is fine now.