"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Living with dogs (sigh)

Aghh, the things they do.
As if my youngest one's "coming of age" isn't enough to drive me batty, with him bullying my two girls around, always pushing them around with his front paws and basically heckling them.....
And my middle girl deciding to be an "underfoot" dog. Which basically means I can't move a step without scanning the floor in front of me and behind me.... and I'm lucky to have a place to step out of the tub, get dressed, then work my way back to the sink to shave without saying skidaddle...
Now my oldest has gone quirky on me.

I've got a linoleum kitchen. I've got a carpeted living room. I have a room between them that used to have an area rug in it, until two days ago. Now it is simply tile. And you know what? It's driving her batty. She doesn't like it one bit. And it's the same tile she used to walk across for five feet to get from the living room to the area rug that is no longer there, so it's not like she has a problem with slippery surfaces, she just doesn't like "the look" of the room now
The other night I had to go downstairs and drag her across the floor at 2:00 AM to go up to bed, because she woke me up crying from the living room. Yesterday was slightly better. She crossed it twice on her own, once to go into the living room, where she thought I would be heading. I wasn't in right away and she started whining, afraid to come back out to the room I was in. And once to come upstairs on her own during the night. I figured I would leave her down there when I went to bed, since she had crossed it earlier in the day, and she did come up at some point... she woke me up with her snoring at 2 AM instead

So this morning I am watching a little TV and I thought I heard my youngest "helping" the cat find his way from the basement to the bedroom, or vice-versa. He likes to do that and I heard that mad dash of feet and nails on a tile floor. Nope, it was my oldest making a mad dash across that room to get into the safety of the living room where I was. Later on in the day she crossed that room just fine. As I was fixing lunch I wondered where she was and she was lying in the living room like nothing. And now she is having a problem with it again. It seems to be worse going in one direction over the other. And feeding time is not enough to motivate her if she is on the wrong side of the room. And she loves to eat (wonder where she got that from )

So I'm going to give her another 24 hours to overcome whatever is whigging her out, and then it's duct tape her to the middle of the floor and.... just kidding, just kidding....
If she doesn't snap out of this sometime tomorrow I'm going to have to do a little OB with her in that room until she is paying more attention to me than the floor.

This is so weird. Nothing has ever bothered her before and 7 or 8 years ago in my old house, I even replaced carpeting in the kitchen with Pergo. Never phased her. I guess both her and I don't like change as we get older.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
Everymom

Could it be something about how the light shines on the floor at particular times?

Old 12-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
Executive Chef

regarding change, goats are worse. They abhor change of any kind. They thrive on routine. If I am "late" to the barn in the am, they can find the darndest ways to be uncooperative.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Could it be something about how the light shines on the floor at particular times?
I don't think it's exactly the light, but that might have something to do with it. It doesn't seem to make a difference which drapes are open/closed or which lights are on, plus I haven't put any mop & glow down where the rug used to be, so that area is actually less shiny than the tile around it that she used to walk on. In all honesty I think it's just "different" to her.
And I know I could grab a rug to help break the floor up for her, but I want her to work through this on her own, if possible first.

She's really going to love it when I redo the porch this winter and rip out that carpeting (lol). That where I feed them.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Hoover? No Kirby?! (lol)

And I did have a restoration car AND a wife. At the same time for a while there (LOLOLOL).
Old 12-17-2008, 07:44 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Fred, another thought...perhaps there's something about the texture or temperature of the tile on her paws that bothers her.

Yep, pets sure can get quirky. Right now I'm about to throw Miss Augie out the window. She's decided to be the most annoying kitty in the world today. She'd like nothing better at the moment than to be surgically attached anywhere on my body. Since that's not possible, she's plastering herself against me any place she can find, regardless of where I happen to be.

Anyone want a long-haired, fluffy lavender-grey and white kitty?
Old 12-17-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
.... and my kids wonder why we're not running out to get the german shepard we want.........
Pacanis I'll trade you!!!
:)
Old 12-17-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Nope, Katie. She's been walking on part of the surrounding area, including the path 5 ft wide (or so) inside my front door, for years. Same floor, same tile, same basement underneath, so same temp. I'm afraid she's just being goofy and getting old like me. She's crossed it a few times tonight, but if it still didn't bother her, she would be with me right now... the other two are. I wish there was someway I could get inside of dogs' heads without actually getting inside their heads.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh, and no way Suzi. I don't do kids. Just dogs.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:28 PM   #10
Master Chef

No matter what , you gotta love 'em.
Where else do you find that love and silliness. You know you love them P!! lol

Seriously, could anyone resist? ROFLMAO!!

Anyway, maybe she just liked it and misses it. I have dog that will only sleep on one blanket, that's it, no other will do. They're odd 4 legged people, OCD. HAHA