Local burger spot closes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Z

Head Chef
After a post from mrsmac a short time ago, I decided to go to a local burger place (about a block and a half away) that really does a nice job with a homemade style burger with egg and lots of other 'unusual' salad topping options.

I was VERY disappointed to find that (after nearly 60 years in the area)... they had closed. 'MOVED'??? PLEASE GOD TELL ME THEY'VE "MOVED". No. "Closed"

Just when you think you've found something that can compare to a nice 'corner shop' old time hamburger, you find that it's just another casualty.

RIP
crying[1].gif

Z

We as a whole have sold out to "Corps of the World". We knew growing up that Ma and Pa Grocery Stores were being up rooted from Corp Grocery stores. And Giant Department Stores added Grocery stores and became "ONE STOP SHOPS" We were told then we would pay. Here we are today victims of not listening! OK OFF THE SOAP BOX !

That is why I Love "THE CANTEEN LUNCH IN THE ALLEY" In OTTUMWA IOWA SINCE 1936 when You go in there you open the door and walk into the 1930's. We all have one around still seek them out and keep them going or they will be lost forever!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

KAYLINDA said:
This is so sad. I hate to hear about local businesses closing. Do you live in a small town?

I live in Las Vegas... but there are still 'neighborhoods' here with independent eateries - - soon to be usurped, apparently, by chains. :mad:

One of my favorite places to eat called The Great Lakes Diner shutdown down last fall. They had awesome food and were open 24 hours. I loved going there for breakfast and I miss their spicy home fries.

The place later reopened under a new name and different ownership but it's just not the same.

It's a shame when small, independent businesses are forced to shut down. =( It's impossible for them to compete with the huge buying power and seemingly bottomless bank accounts of large corporations.

I try to support them as much as possible. I love small, independent book stores and music stores, but they are almost as rare as non-chain restaurants around here. They exist, but you really have to search them out.

Consumers can't be blamed for looking for the best prices so we flock to the huge places to get the most bang for our buck. But I sure miss the days of going into a store where the owner would be there to help or answer questions or to order something for you if you needed it. You may not have had 40 kinds of canned tomatoes to choose from but the personalized service, the genuine care that you recieved, seems more and more to be a thing of the past.

:heart:
Z

While I like to get a deal and agree, we still have a big problem we are all losing our jobs to "BIG CORPS WHO DON'T CARE ABOUT US" to them it is "LINING THEIR POCKETS" What are we going to do when we have no jobs and they have all the money? We don't have service much anymore because we buy cheap stuff we know won't last, Are those things really cheaper. For example you can either buy a Blackhawk 3/8" ratchet set and pay $49.00 and it has a Lifetime Warranty if it Breaks we will replace it, or you can go down to "BIG CORP STORES" and buy about the same type set for $19.99 and it has a Limited LIFETIME Warranty and if you send $19.99 and your old set back they will "REPLACE IT FREE?" One will last forever and you can pass it down to your children the other will live long enough to do one job! WHICH IS CHEAPER? And you still have a JOB! If I knew MY JOB depended on paying a little more then I would do it. My Point is What is made HERE NOW? IT MAY BE YOUR JOB NEXT!

The Z said:
After a post from mrsmac a short time ago, I decided to go to a local burger place (about a block and a half away) that really does a nice job with a homemade style burger with egg and lots of other 'unusual' salad topping options.

I was VERY disappointed to find that (after nearly 60 years in the area)... they had closed. 'MOVED'??? PLEASE GOD TELL ME THEY'VE "MOVED". No. "Closed"

Just when you think you've found something that can compare to a nice 'corner shop' old time hamburger, you find that it's just another casualty.

RIP
crying%5B1%5D.gif

Z

You'll need to come back to Australia for a visit so you can eat a burger that isn't advertised by a clown!!

Back
Top Bottom