"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-14-2010, 01:59 AM   #1
Master Chef

Local foods/etcetera in your city.....

.......that make your city your city. i was reading thru a few posts & i mentioned 'quintessential foods' in the 'burgh, & as there's many newer discusscookers, i figured i'd post this so they could contribute.

so i'm a pittsburgher. 1 item that makes us, us is a primanti's sammich- meats, cheeses, other items (eggs & that if ya tack that onto your order)), then fries & slaw, piled on.
then there's pittsburgh-salads- lettuce, tomato, those usuals, then they pile on fries, provolone &/or mozzarella, then chix or beef. me & my mom got these so often when my Dad was busy. i'd drench my salad in bleu cheese.
the pizzas, the're great if made properly. there is mineo's, & aiello's is a competitor. both make great, great pies, although i prefer aiello's as thier crust is thicker & thier dinner salads/dressing, yep!
there's other foods, too, although other (non-pennsylvanian) regions also make these items, too, though. the frozen pierogies, they're produced here, although others make thier own themselves , also haluski (cabbage/drenched in butter/onions,haluski noodles, [2 kinds i've dined on:- thick & rustic, or egg noodles. i so prefer the egg-noodles.] usually some pepper.)
kep-utch, the edible sort- is made here, & clark-bars & klondikes.. hunt's or generic kep-utch makes me shudder.
then we have a dialect aptly named 'pittsburghese.' yins, sammich, dahntahn, jeet yet, 'iggle, chip-chop ham, blitzburgh, pop, spikot, stillers, picksburgh, worsh, there's so many others than these.....
there's the strip district that includes many, many items & eateries. penzy spices sold there. there's the southside, that's where the alcohol is quite abundant, & i'm putting that very gently. the pens & the stillers.
wholey & thier seafoods.
& during Christmas & the remainder of winter, the decorate most of the city so laboriously, amazing.
so, your city is great for.....

Old 06-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Cupcake

Baltimore

We have so many wonderful things in B'more. My favorites are:

McCormick's Old Bay Seasoning
Maryland Blue Crabs
Crab cakes using Old Bay Seasoning!
Crab soups! Cream of and Maryland crab soup!
Chesapeake oysters
Oyster Stew! Yum!
Eels....yes, I know! People here use them for bait! But they are prized elsewhere and are sooo good! Especially grilled with a bit of plum sauce.
Maryland fried chicken
Maryland Silver Queen sweet corn
Maryland strawberries....to the tune of way too many.
Pit Beef sandwiches
Berger cookies
Lemon sticks - which are cold lemons with a peppermint stick that you use as a straw.

Mmm....now I'm hungry...but that is my short list.
~Kathleen

Old 06-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Bensonhurst- Capozzelli
Old 06-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Head Chef

My home in the Pacific Northwest has an unbelievable bounty of fresh seafood, produce, wine.
That said, the only truly indigenous foods I can think of are alder smoked salmon (not my favorite way to cook such a magnificent fish) and geoduck, a big, scary looking clam.

There a lots of Asian and Latino markets, which had lead to a lot of fusion cuisine. The fresh ingredients here has also lead to a lot of "new American" cuisine.

Of course, you can get any other type of cuisine (French, Italian, Japanese, etc etc), all done very well.

But peculiar to the PNW? Jeffery Steingarten referred to the PNW as "ingredients in search of a cuisine".
Old 06-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
Master Chef

That'll be anything that comes out of taco trucks for Los Angeles. I don't think L.A. is really known for its food.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

we have the best of several choices. mexican food of course abounds (not taco bell) in s.d. lots of sea food in various guises. pizza, pizza, (good and bad) and don't forget the italian restaurants that are really authentic. that means not just spaghetti
Old 06-16-2010, 04:35 AM   #7
Master Chef

luv the info on your local foods, guys! greaet reads! :)
Old 06-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
Master Chef

I don't really know wat foods really makes this city a city, but I have to say, Thank G-d recently we strted venture into real food and not just meat loaf and mashed potato. There are new restaurants and new groccery items on the shef. When I first came here 20 years ago it was pretty bad.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmax View Post
My home in the Pacific Northwest has an unbelievable bounty of fresh seafood, produce, wine.
That said, the only truly indigenous foods I can think of are alder smoked salmon (not my favorite way to cook such a magnificent fish) and geoduck, a big, scary looking clam.

There a lots of Asian and Latino markets, which had lead to a lot of fusion cuisine. The fresh ingredients here has also lead to a lot of "new American" cuisine.

Of course, you can get any other type of cuisine (French, Italian, Japanese, etc etc), all done very well.

But peculiar to the PNW? Jeffery Steingarten referred to the PNW as "ingredients in search of a cuisine".
How about the marionberries?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
New York

Pastrami
cheesecake
bagels and bialies

New York is such a meltingpot that almost anything could be called "New York food" these days.