Local speech that drives you crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When my son was little, he would buckle his "belt -seat." And things would be "round side up" (upside down) And when he was pokey, I told him to shake a leg! So, he did. Lifted up his foot and wiggled it.

Some of my school folks state they can get very "flustrated". One also will describe consistantly untruthful kids as "chronological liars". I give him grief, both his parents are educators!

Disrespect is not a word, therefore it can have no past, present, or future tense. If you wish to express a lack of respect towards you, you say "you are showing a lack of respect towards me." That is proper English You do not say "you are disrespecting me." That's Ebonics!

Disrespectful is a word, but it is an adjective, so it has no past, present, or future tense either.

thanks, i never knew that, although i think that i've ever said disrepect without the ful.

"Frisco".....Everybody I know in the San Francisco Bay Area hates that one. It instantly tells everyone you are not from around here. Alot of people refer to SF as "The city" and I am guilty of that one myself. (nomasayin?)

It was exactly like that in the 70's when I lived there. They also think of that area as the only place in the world that can be called "The Bay Area". Ask a San Francisco resident on vacation in Japan and they'll just say "Oh, I live in the Bay Area in the USA". I heard one do that recently here in Florida. I asked him which bay area. He got all weirded out about it and told me "There's really only ONE real Bay Area in the USA. :ROFLMAO:

I love the "kidisms"
When my daughter was about 4, The Incredible Hulk was a popular television show. About the time I would say okay time for bed, the show's intro music would start and she would say no!! I wanna watch Kerbidal hark! Cracked me up every time and still does to this day.:ROFLMAO:

When our neighbor boy was about 3 he started calling our year old daughter Jentopo (can you guess her name) It kind of stuck and we sometimes still call her that and the neighbor boy's dad has never called her anything else.:LOL:

I love them Kidisms, too...

My brother had "eye bulbs" when he was little. And he murdered the word "truck"...

When baby bro was little, we asked him what he wanted for Christmas from Santa. He wanted a "dwhee". None of us could figure out what a dwhee was. BB was apoplectic. We hauled out the JC Penney catalog, asked for examples, nothing even vaguely resembling a dwhee. Still have no idea.

These kidisms crack me up!

Last edited:
I love them Kidisms, too...

My brother had "eye bulbs" when he was little. And he murdered the word "truck"...
When my son was little, he loved turcks, and would yell his version of "truck" across the parking lot. We finally had to teach him things like "pick-up", "semi" etc. so he would stop yelling bad words out in public. :ROFLMAO::LOL:

I forgot this one. When my brother discovered the real story of 'where babies come from' he was shocked and angry. He was sure we had all grown in the garden because we were Human Beans.

And my son demanded we bring him his pigwam. What was a pigwam? His stuffed penguin, and for no aparent reason, named "Curley."

I forgot this one. When my brother discovered the real story of 'where babies come from' he was shocked and angry. He was sure we had all grown in the garden because we were Human Beans.

And my son demanded we bring him his pigwam. What was a pigwam? His stuffed penguin, and for no aparent reason, named "Curley."

ROFL!!! I'm Refried...

SherryDAmore said:

:ROFLMAO: pigwam might be next to the dwhee in the JC Penney catalog.

i remember my nephew asking me for voodah once when he was small. i had no idea what voodah meant.

apparently, he was thirsty.

Back
Top Bottom