"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #151
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Linguistics is the science of language and the area I spent 12 years studying.<...>This thread pushes one of my buttons. I find many of the posts in this thread insensitive and smacking of "hidden" racism. I'm surprised the moderators haven't shut it down. Posts on tiresome cliches, well, that's another story.
I think you're reading too much into what is said. These are phrases and words which people find either humorous or irritating, due to either their own relocation into an area where these parts of local language are common or in use in large areas or even continents.

I've watched the entire thread. I'm well educated and well traveled and see no racism in this thread. Perhaps you could point out exactly what posts you're referring to. I despise racism in all it's nasty forms. Please remember that some words that might be considered racist if used in a contextual manner that would imply racism, are not racist when used in a manner that implies no racism.

I'd love to see your examples and discuss them.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #152
Senior Cook

Quote:
insensitive and smacking of "hidden" racism.
I hate it when threads get off track and degenerate into name calling. I found NOTHING in this thread that was racist or intolerant. The only intolerance, I thought, was for bad grammar and misuse and mispronunciation of words in the English language.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #153
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
conversating instead of conversing.
ARRRGH! That's a good one though! I wonder why we keep adding letters to perfectly good words? OK, I actually know why we do it, but its a longwinded explanation so I'll leave it alone.

I sort of like some of the words that kids make up though. My kids used to say, "bakset" and "racsal" and we still do it today. One of them also used to say, "shrog" for "frog" and the other would go put on her "baby suit" to go swimming. I think those kinds of word creations need to be hugged to your heart and cherished forever.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #154
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I sort of like some of the words that kids make up though. My kids used to say, "bakset" and "racsal" and we still do it today. One of them also used to say, "shrog" for "frog" and the other would go put on her "baby suit" to go swimming. I think those kinds of word creations need to be hugged to your heart and cherished forever.
When I was a little fella, I pronounced "specific" as "Pacific" and couldn't for the life of me remember how to say irrelevant. I finally thought of a way to remember it and to this day still laugh at my resolution; "Ear of Elephant". If you say it fast enough, it almost sounds the same.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #155
Everymom

Hahahaha!! That's a good one Timothy! When I was singing, our teacher told us to mouth "watermelon" if we forgot the words to any of our songs. He was also the one who showed me that if you mouth, "elephant shoes" it looks like you just said, "I love you"

I loved him. What a fun teacher.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #156
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...He was also the one who showed me that if you mouth, "elephant shoes" it looks like you just said, "I love you"

I loved him. What a fun teacher.

When would you use this?
Old 10-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #157
Everymom

When you're a teenager you can find a moment to mess with many boys minds Andy. See what awful things girls do? Some poor boy would be sitting in class minding his own business and then some girl would mouth "elephant shoes" at him and make him squirm. She could claim quite honestly to have never said "I love you" at all.

I can see your eyes rolling from here.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #158
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
When you're a teenager you can find a moment to mess with many boys minds Andy. See what awful things girls do? Some poor boy would be sitting in class minding his own business and then some girl would mouth "elephant shoes" at him and make him squirm. She could claim quite honestly to have never said "I love you" at all.

I can see your eyes rolling from here.
I can only hope that the same guy would never tell his girlfriend that he loves her in front of the guys or in public, choosing instead to say, "elephant shoes you, too."
Old 10-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #159
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I can only hope that the same guy would never tell his girlfriend that he loves her in front of the guys or in public, choosing instead to say, "elephant shoes you, too."

If the shoe fits!
Old 10-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #160
Head Chef

I hope for the day when "as we speak" falls out of fashion. And awesome, which used to be a perfectly good word.