"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #31
Master Chef

I think "local" speach is here to stay, no matter what we do. It's been around forever.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
My very pet peeve is when they pronounce jewelry like: joolery.

Can't they see it is spelled jewel-ry, which refers to jewels?

Other than that, I won't even begin to explain how it's impossible to understand a heavy creole accent. I just nod and smile, and walk away muttering how some people sound like they're talking with a mouth full of mashed potatoes!

I love a creole accent. Now, don't ask me what's being said half the time but I love to hear it.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I can relate with you on that one, PAG. I've been a poor speller since I wrote my first words. Spell-Check has greatly helped my spelling by pointing out the same words, over and over that I misspell. Over the years, fewer and fewer of them appear. Spell-Check is a teacher for me. There are still many that keep showing up. Like "proven". Spell checkers hate that word and won't even recognize it.

Or "Online" and "Offline" common words used today. Every spell-checker tries to hyphenate them.
i have always been good at spelling--nothing i ever had to work at, it just comes naturally. many words whose meaning i don't know, and never use, i could spell with ease. it's a "recognition" of sorts. if i see a word spelled incorrectly it looks wrong to me, and it can be somewhat irritating. typos in books, books that i've paid good money for, drive me crazy! spellcheck is a mixed blessing for me. i like that it picks up my typing errors, and on rare occasion, my incorrect spellings. what really surprises me though are the very many times spell check indicates a wrong spelling when the word is actually spelled correctly. in the beginning, i was just obsessive enough to look up the word in the dictionary every time it happened. 99% of the time i found that it was spell check that had it wrong. these days, if i am confident about a word and i see it underlined in red, i just ignore spell check and go with what i know. i really should start up a list of words that spell check doesn't recognize. and i know that my vocabulary is not so obscure or arcane that this should be happening, or is it?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

this one really ticks me off, i say "thank you, so much" the reply i get is "no problem" why can't they just say "you are welcome?"
Old 10-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i have always been good at spelling--nothing i ever had to work at, it just comes naturally. many words whose meaning i don't know, and never use, i could spell with ease. it's a "recognition" of sorts. if i see a word spelled incorrectly it looks wrong to me, and it can be somewhat irritating. typos in books, books that i've paid good money for, drive me crazy! spellcheck is a mixed blessing for me. i like that it picks up my typing errors, and on rare occasion, my incorrect spellings. what really surprises me though are the very many times spell check indicates a wrong spelling when the word is actually spelled correctly. in the beginning, i was just obsessive enough to look up the word in the dictionary every time it happened. 99% of the time i found that it was spell check that had it wrong. these days, if i am confident about a word and i see it underlined in red, i just ignore spell check and go with what i know. i really should start up a list of words that spell check doesn't recognize. and i know that my vocabulary is not so obscure or arcane that this should be happening, or is it?
Most spell checkers have an option to click on that adds your correct spelling (of a word that the dictionary has wrong) to the dictionary so it won't annoy you by being flagged as incorrect every time. (A run-on but correctly spelled sentence.)
Old 10-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #36
Executive Chef

many of the words and phrases that are so irksome are simply victims of overuse. words that i used before they became hackneyed but only rarely afterward, like "humongous" and "awesome" and "draconian" have been repeated so often that they have lost the full effect of their original meanings. oh, and please stop talking about "giving back" anymore. anybody who is seriously "giving back" today is not using that tired old phony-sounding phrase.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #37
Master Chef

In a service type of a business people will be trained to say you are welcome. I guess in the head of a person “you welcome” means that person actually did something for him/her and the “thank you” that he/she just gave was really deserved and worked for, and it was his/hers obligation to say thank you. If somebody says “no problem” that means they did not work hard for it and/or they did not mind doing it at all.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
many of the words and phrases that are so irksome are simply victims of overuse. words that i used before they became hackneyed but only rarely afterward, like "humongous" and "awesome" and "draconian" have been repeated so often that they have lost the full effect of their original meanings. oh, and please stop talking about "giving back" anymore. anybody who is seriously "giving back" today is not using that tired old phony-sounding phrase.
Lately, it's just surreal how many times the word surreal is used by TV personalities/actors in interviews. I mean it's totally surreal, if you know what I mean. Bottom line, sometimes they even use it correctly! Am I right, or what.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Lately, it's just surreal how many times the word surreal is used by TV personalities/actors in interviews. I mean it's totally surreal, if you know what I mean. Bottom line, sometimes they even use it correctly! Am I right, or what.
Awesome, Dude! I mean, like you really got it right! YaknowwhatImean?
Old 10-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

"Basically" drives me nuts, especially when used 5 or 6 times in as many sentences. If something is that "basic", it should be able to be condensed down to one sentence!