Local speech that drives you crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate it when threads get off track and degenerate into name calling. I found NOTHING in this thread that was racist or intolerant. The only intolerance, I thought, was for bad grammar and misuse and mispronunciation of words in the English language.

Racism and racial discrimination are also used to describe discrimination on an ethnic or cultural basis, independent of somatic differences. Because culture defines language, displaying a bias towards people who use language as it is used within the culture in which they live and to state an intolerance about such use is a form of racism that is independent of somatic differences. Specific examples would be pointing out differences in pronunciation or grammatical use. In the area where I live, one of those examples is typical of the speech pattern of First Nations people. That's all I'm going to say on the topic. Cliches and jargon are not the same.

Racism and racial discrimination are also used to describe discrimination on an ethnic or cultural basis, independent of somatic differences. Because culture defines language, displaying a bias towards people who use language as it is used within the culture in which they live and to state an intolerance about such use is a form of racism that is independent of somatic differences. Specific examples would be pointing out differences in pronunciation or grammatical use. In the area where I live, one of those examples is typical of the speech pattern of First Nations people. That's all I'm going to say on the topic. Cliches and jargon are not the same.

I have to disagree. Being troubled by poor grammar is not limited to specific ethnic, racial or cultural groups. If someone is butchering the English language, it's immaterial who he is. The issue is with the butcherer, not the butcher. It's your bias that's putting a racial tag on this discussion.

i have to disagree. Being troubled by poor grammar is not limited to specific ethnic, racial or cultural groups. If someone is butchering the english language, it's immaterial who he is. The issue is with the butcherer, not the butcher. It's your bias that's putting a racial tag on this discussion.

View attachment 12167

Last edited:
One can find anything in any situation if one looks hard enough for it and is willing to define the parts into a whole of thier choosing.

If one person loves pears so much that he or she finds reference to pears in almost everything anyone says, that person will be convinced that society is pearophobic, when in actuality, it's the person doing the labeling that has the problem.

Personally, I can't stand the gritty things. :ROFLMAO:

Claire - yes. Great story! In fact I just lent my copy to a co-worker.

Alix - your post about what your kids mispronounced touched me. In my family we have many such "words": being-have (long "a"; behaving), pree-ing tend (pretending), willy pussies (pussywillows), pootfrints (footprints), lost her/his mind of it (forgot), and of course bisketti (spaghetti). All charming, IMHO.

Last edited:
and of course bisketti (spaghetti). All charming, IMHO.

My 4 year old son still calls breakfast "breadstick". We think it is too cute to try to correct him. He will have issues when he is older, but right now it amuses us ;)

My sister has talked about how bittersweet it is every time her oldest daughter learns to pronounce something correctly. On the one hand, she's excited about her progress. On the other, she misses the endearing pronunciations from while she was still learning the word. My personal two favorites are when she called strawberries bawberries, and grampunk for grandpa.

Back
Top Bottom