Local speech that drives you crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They use it in place of annihilate. To be fair, kind of like aint, it has been misused so much that the originally incorrect meaning has now been accepted as correct.

There are two that drive me crazy. The first one is the misuse of the word "obviously". People say it all the time when there is nothing obvious about what they are saying.

The second is the word "decimate". Decimate originally meant to reduce by a tenth. If an amry was decimated it meant they lost one out of every ten men.

That reminds me of a saying that I use occasionally. "That is obvios to the most casual observer." I don't have a clue where I got that one from.

Something that seems to be very common is the misuse of "you and I," when the object of the preposition should use "me" instead of "I."

And "myself" instead of just plain "me."

The local on-the-scene news reporters start out each report with the word, "now," not as a matter of when, but just to begin a sentence.

Even the local newspaper doesn't seem to recognize the past tense of the verb "sink." It's always something "sunk" instead of "sank."

I seem to use seem a lot. :angel:

One of the most annoying things I frequently hear is the word OFTEN pronounced as OFF-TEN. The word is pronounced OFF-EN. It has a silent T, just like listen, fasten, and soften! Would you go to the grocery store and ask for fabric SOF-TENNER?

The T's aren't silent in Montana.

Alix said:
I could give you the link, but there is a lot of extraneous matter to wade through.

Thanks Alix! I found the link (I love extraneous matter!). Lol! I am fascinated by language, so it was fun to read!

This got me thinking. It depends on in what context I use the word on how I use it. Examples- "I ofen think of you" "How often do you come here?". I have no clue why I do this.:ermm:

Now that's crazy....lol. I think I'm just going to keep saying ofTen. I don't say that often anyway....

I find it annoying when distance is expressed in time.

It's only five minutes from here.

Also "chimbley"

Reminded me of another pet-peeve. "40 mile an hour". When it is plural , more then one mile then it is MILES!!

PattY1 said:
Reminded me of another pet-peeve. "40 mile an hour". When it is plural , more then one mile then it is MILES!!

That is right up there with a child that is "one years old!"

Back
Top Bottom