Local speech that drives you crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Old-fashioned" is a word that's often used incorrectly.

If you're talking about an antique car such as a 1922 Ford Model T, it's not an old-fashioned car. It's an old or antique car. If something is old-fashioned, it's in the style of a bygone period.

I always thought it was a cocktail? They even named a glass for it.

it's NEVER good (or proper) to end a sentence with a preposition. Simply put, it's poor grammar.
I disagree. There are many times when it is correct to end a sentance with a preposition. Take the sentance "What did you step on?" Sure you could say On what did you step, but that is not how people really talk. It is much more awkward to say it that way than to end with a prepositon.

Winston Churchill had a famous response when someone told him the "rule" about ending a sentance with a preposition. He said "That is a rule up with which I will not put."

While living in the southwest, I often heard "We're fixin' to ...(go, get ready, start, etc.).

I would rather have someone ask me what I stepped on, rather than what did I step in...

Oh, I forgot my BIGGEST irritation-"I could care less." It is supposed to be "I couldn't care less."

a drinking buddy was given the rule about not ending a sentence with a preposition. he finished his draft beer and said, "that right? and where'd you get your grammar police badge from---a*****e?!"

Last edited:
lol vit. that reminds me of what i thought of sir loin's response to being called "bro" too ofTen. :)

back in the day (my drinkng days when i still had something to prove and nothing to live for), anyone who threatened me about becoming an orphan would have been swallowing teeth forthwith.

sir loin, you must be a big enough dude to have gotten away with it.

hmm, you must have been big enough with which to get away...lol.

Ha! My question wasn't serious, Andy. I ended the question with "at" as humor only. I guess that joke didn't work very well....:ROFLMAO:

It wasn't the joke it was the recipient. I wasn't paying proper attention and didn't notice.

These numb spells are getting too close together. I'm gonna be really stupid soon.

It wasn't the joke it was the recipient. I wasn't paying proper attention and didn't notice.

These numb spells are getting too close together. I'm gonna be really stupid soon.

Ha! :ROFLMAO:

Yer killin me!

I've noticed that the older I get, the more often I will be working on something on the PC, have a side thought of doing something, get up to do it and halfway there, while still working in my head on the original task, I'll forget what in the heck I got up to do! :ermm:

Then I just stand there in the middle of the room looking stupid. :ohmy:

Relax, it gets worse.

I turn to get something out of the fridge and open the microwave that's next to it. ...and vice versa. At least the geography was good.

Timothy and Andy, you are both younger than I am - just wait a few years, you may need a keeper!

Timothy and Andy, you are both younger than I am - just wait a few years, you may need a keeper!

Oh No! :ohmy::rolleyes:

Ok, I'm preparing an advertisement for a live-in nurse:

"Wanted, 6' blond with nursing background and a great body who wouldn't mind wearing a tiny french maid outfit and has and the ability to put up with a dirty old man." Must have appeared in at least one Playboy Magazine spread."

That's all I have so far...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh No! :ohmy::rolleyes:

Ok, I'm preparing an advertisement for a live-in nurse:

"Wanted, 6' blond with nursing background and a great body who wouldn't mind wearing a tiny french maid outfit and has and the ability to put up with a dirty old man." Must have appeared in at least one Playboy Magazine spread."

That's all I have so far...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just send me your rejects.

I am annoyed by words that are invented and then used so often that they become accepted and added to the dictionary. The first one that comes to mind is incentivise.

Timothy said:
Ha! :ROFLMAO:

Yer killin me!

I've noticed that the older I get, the more often I will be working on something on the PC, have a side thought of doing something, get up to do it and halfway there, while still working in my head on the original task, I'll forget what in the heck I got up to do! :ermm:

Then I just stand there in the middle of the room looking stupid. :ohmy:

I've always done that kind of stuff. I can't remember an age when I didn't do that sort of thing. It's not uncommon for me to make three or four trips into a room before I remember why I was going in there. And I frequently do things like open a cupboard and stare into it as if that will magically reveal why I was going to the room. Then, when I give up and go back to my previous task, I frequently can't remember what I was doing. Some of us are very easily distracted and have nothing for short term memory.

I have a question for everyone. Do you pronounce the ei in neither and either as a long e or as a long i? I pronounce it with a long i except when I say neither nor/either or and when I use the two close together in the same sentance. Then I use the long e pronunciation. No idea why, I just do.

Back
Top Bottom