Local speech that drives you crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My oldest had trouble with "magazine". She pronounced it "maz-a-geen". We would correct her, carefully pronouncing the word slowly with emphasis on each syllable - "MAG - A - ZINE". She then repeated it back to us using the same emphasis - "MAZ - A - GEEN".

It eventually corrected itself without our help.

Andy, my son and dad used to have a similar exchange. Osher would call pizza "derbeep" (we have no idea why). Dad would try to get him to pronounce it right by saying it slow for him to hear. Piiiiiiizzzzzzaaaaa. Osher would respond Deeeerrrrrrbeeeepppppp.

...and grampunk for grandpa.

I referred myself as Grampy. Our grandson started out with calling me, "Duh". Then he graduated to "Dempy". Now he has it right, although he often goes through the whole list of relatives before he gets it right, calling me Daddy, Grammy, mummy, etc.

more kid stuff -
our dog was a golden "retreater"
the river was the "Missippotomac" (the only 2 rivers she had seen)
Canadian people live in Canadia
grandmother has always been called "Hi-mom" - likely from that being the first thing HH would say when we called her every Saturday morning. We are all very used to this (including Hi-mom herself) to the point that it would be weird to call her anything else

One of my favorite kidisms was my nephews way of saying goodbye. He would wave and say "castle!" We finally figured out he was quoting the Princess Bride where Miracle Max says, "Bye bye boys, have fun storming the castle." For years we said "Castle" instead of goodbye. I miss that!

on the subject of grandparents, my old friend ozzy's dad has raised 3 sets of children: his own biological kids, his 2nd wife's kids from a previous marriage, and ozzy's 2nd wife's kids - also previous. all of these kids have children of their own now.

since his name is paul to the adult generations of his family, and he's a grandpa to so many, everyone just calls him "grandpaul".

Haha, I've heard many exchanges like that between Sprout and her daughter. One of the best is when she was trying to correct her pronunciation of toes. She pronounced it tees.

Sprout: Say toe.
Sproutlet: Toe.
Sprout: Say toes.
Sproutlet: Tees!

Sprout: Hmmm, say toe.
Sproutlet: Toe.
Sprout: Say nose.
Sproutlet: Nose.
Sprout: Say toes.
Sproutlet: Tees!

I was in fits of giggles listening to this over the phone.

One of my favorite kidisms was my nephews way of saying goodbye. He would wave and say "castle!" We finally figured out he was quoting the Princess Bride where Miracle Max says, "Bye bye boys, have fun storming the castle." For years we said "Castle" instead of goodbye. I miss that!

we used to have terrible battles of "got ya last", tagging your cousins last just before leaving their house, or them leaving yours.

i still remember when my cousins big tom, stevie, and vernon - who lived next to us - moved to florida. (because of my cousin big tom who's 6'6", i grew up being known as little tom :().

everyone was in tears saying goodbye, giving hugs and helping to load up their car, my cousins got me with their ultimate "got ya last" as their car pulled away.

i hadn't seen them in 30+ years until a family reunion at my parent's 60th wedding anniversary a few years back, and as everyone was saying goodbye, they got me again. lol.

I am annoyed by words that are invented and then used so often that they become accepted and added to the dictionary. The first one that comes to mind is incentivise.

The top of my list in this category is DISRESPECTED!

A person can be disrespectful towards you, but not even Aretha Franklin can be disrespected!

hmm, is there no past tense for disrespect?

is there one s or two in dissed/dis'd/disd. :mrgreen:

i find uh and yo far too often used when rappers are trying to catch a beat.

The only "Kidism" I can think of is a story my Grandmother loved to tell about me.

When still at highchair age, the family all went out to a really fancy restaurant with "Grammy". When the food was served, the story goes that I yelled from one end of the table to Grammy, at the other end, "But Dammy! We ain't said grace yet!" I was upset because everyone just started eating without the usual family prayer. According to her story, the entire restaurant cracked up laughing.

What an interesting and entertaining thread. I've spent the last hour reading every word, and have wanted to jump in every few minutes to agree. At the start of this thread the question was about sayings of the day that make us crazy. Here's a few of mine.

"My Bad"..what the heck is that suppose to mean? Why can't one just say, "I was wrong"?
"Back in the day" was mentioned. What day?
Using the word AXE or AXED for ask or asked makes me want to chew nails.
But my latest all time most irritating saying is.......
"It is what it is" About the time I was widowed, that little ditty was catching on and it's shocking to me how many insensitive people would use that catch phrase in referring to my loss. Did they actually think that was comforting instead of insulting? Now whenever I hear anyone say "it is what it is" I want to punch them.

But my latest all time most irritating saying is.......

"It is what it is" About the time I was widowed, that little ditty was catching on and it's shocking to me how many insensitive people would use that catch phrase in referring to my loss. Did they actually think that was comforting instead of insulting? Now whenever I hear anyone say "it is what it is" I want to punch them.

I can relate, Kayelle. The phrase that made me grit my teeth after the loss of my wife was; "She's in a better place". I understand what is meant, but think that is an over-used, stock "say-nothing" thing to say to someone who has just lost a loved one. "I'm so sorry for your loss, and please let me know if I can help in any way, even just to talk", is the nicest thing anyone can say in that sense, IMHO.

hmm, is there no past tense for disrespect?

Disrespect is not a word, therefore it can have no past, present, or future tense. If you wish to express a lack of respect towards you, you say "you are showing a lack of respect towards me." That is proper English You do not say "you are disrespecting me." That's Ebonics!

Disrespectful is a word, but it is an adjective, so it has no past, present, or future tense either.

Gotta do one more kidism.

To my little brother, our snowmobiles were" Rockadoos". Heaven only knows why. He loved to go out rockadooing.

"Frisco".....Everybody I know in the San Francisco Bay Area hates that one. It instantly tells everyone you are not from around here. Alot of people refer to SF as "The city" and I am guilty of that one myself. (nomasayin?)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom