Local speech that drives you crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purple.alien.giraffe

Executive Chef
Anyone else find certain local slang, sayings, misused words, mispronunciations, etc. grate on the nerves more than others?

In this area the ones that make me cringe as if boney fingers were tapping on the base of my spine are

"Yous guys"
"Ignorant" used in place of "rude"
Rutabega pronounced as "rutabeggies"

Also, a couple of girls from NJ moved into the area and got everyone saying "cool beans". They claimed everyone from their area said it. I asked them what the heck cool beans was supposed to signify and they explained that "cool" by itself meant neither good nor bad but if you added beans to it then it meant good. o_O Huh? How does that even make sense? At least with some slang I can kinda see how it could develop but I can not fathom how in flying monkey swirly whirls "cool beans" could at all be symbolic of, or a metaphor for, something good. I mean, it makes about as much sense as flying monkey swirly whirls.

Ok, done ranting about cool beans. So what do the locals around you say that drives you flying monkey swirly whirls? (that is so my phrase of the month) ;)

I haven't heard cool beans in about 15 years. From a girl with big hair come to think of it...

Local speech is no more grating than seeing speech spelled 'speach'.:)
Anyone else find certain local slang, sayings, misused words, mispronunciations, etc. grate on the nerves more than others?

In this area the ones that make me cringe as if boney fingers were tapping on the base of my spine are

"Yous guys"
"Ignorant" used in place of "rude"
Rutabega pronounced as "rutabeggies"

Also, a couple of girls from NJ moved into the area and got everyone saying "cool beans". They claimed everyone from their area said it. I asked them what the heck cool beans was supposed to signify and they explained that "cool" by itself meant neither good nor bad but if you added beans to it then it meant good. o_O Huh? How does that even make sense? At least with some slang I can kinda see how it could develop but I can not fathom how in flying monkey swirly whirls "cool beans" could at all be symbolic of, or a metaphor for, something good. I mean, it makes about as much sense as flying monkey swirly whirls.

Ok, done ranting about cool beans. So what do the locals around you say that drives you flying monkey swirly whirls? (that is so my phrase of the month) ;)

Last edited:
here is a quick, incomplete list of what bugs me daily: "basically", "at the end of the day", "you know what i'm saying", "going forward", and especially "it is what it is".

I was always told cool beans was a MA thing.

Funny, I was told cool beans was a late for supper thing. :LOL:

What irritates me the most is, like, some who says, ya know, like and ya know about 15 times in one run-on sentence, along with a whole bunch of and uhs, thrown in.

Oh, I just thought of something else that has starting bugging me lately. You hear it on all these new reality shos like Auction Hunters, American Restoration especially, and Amerrican pickers. BACK IN THE DAY!

Back in WHAT day? Yesterday? Last Week? Last month? Last year? a hundred years ago? 3,000 B.C.? "Yeah, that's how they did it back in the day, before you were born, remember?"

Last edited:
Oh, I just thought of something else that has starting bugging me lately. You hear it on all these new reality shos like Auction Hunters, American Restoration especially, and Amerrican pickers. BACK IN THE DAY!

Back in WHAT day? Yesterday? Last Week? Last month? Last year? a hundred years ago? 3,000 B.C.? "Yeah, that's how they did it back in the day, before you were born, remember?"

Wednesday before last.

Wednesday before last.

My thought is that back in the day is directly related to what you did "back in the day". You know, that short term memory loss and all. :rolleyes:
Wedesday before last could very well be back in the day for some folks.

;)

Like, youse guys are like cracking me up! Uh, like Back in the day, ya know, I uh, uh, used to like let ignorantly rude people bother me with their speach ya know, but now I like just smack em with a rutabeggie ya know and everything is cool beans! Like basically, at the end of the day, if you know what I'm sayin, like I just keep going forward and as far as it all goes, it is what it is! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Like, youse guys are like cracking me up! Uh, like Back in the day, ya know, I uh, uh, used to like let ignorantly rude people bother me with their speach ya know, but now I like just smack em with a rutabeggie ya know and everything is cool beans! Like basically, at the end of the day, if you know what I'm sayin, like I just keep going forward and as far as it all goes, it is what it is! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

verry funny, tim. c'mon , i would expect you to be good for a few pithy ones yourself. give. a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, ya know?:)

It's not just a local thing but it drives me nuts to hear someone pronounce the word realtor as real-lit-tor. My realtor(who is a lovely, personable lady) does this and it drives me to distraction. I mean really, how can someone in the business not know how to properly pronounce it? I have actually heard people on the television real estate shows pronounce this word incorrectly. To me that says "I don't know what I am doing in this business."

verry funny, tim. c'mon , i would expect you to be good for a few pithy ones yourself. give. a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, ya know?:)

My irritants are more the attitudes people adopt than the words they use. Like a person who will argue out of habit. Regardless of what you say, they argue or point out some obscure manner in which you can be proven wrong.

You say; "It's a beautiful day" and they say; "There are millions of people suffering right this second who think this is a crappy day".

That type of thing.

Another type of attitude that bothers me immensely is when someone starts a reply with "That's nothing, I have one better than that!"

What the heck? "That's nothing" ??? What I just said is "nothing"???

Or the person who tries to ridicule someone by saying; "Hellooo, didn't you understand?" What the heck is the "Hellooo" part; other than pure insult?

I could go on and on.

justplainbill said:
Local speech is no more grating than seeing speech spelled 'speach'.:)

Yeah, I'm a terrible speller. Can't find a spell check for the app on my phone and wasn't near a computer or dictionary. Starting in junior high, my English teachers always told me that some people can spell and some people can write; very few people can do both. The bad news was that I wasn't one of them. The good news was that I could write so if I kept a dictionary with me at all times I should be fine. You have no idea how much I hated hearing this.

There have been many times I've changed my phrasing online because I couldn't remember how to spell something.

My husband said when he was a lieutenant platoon leader in Vietnam, he finally had to lay down the law and say it was not soda, it was not pop, it is soda-pop, so quit fighting. Luckily I guess he didn't have any New Englanders or it would have had to be soda-pop-tonic. I don't think any regional differences get to me, I've moved too often. I don't think it is regional, but I do hate NUKE-UU-LER. I have a tendency to think to myself if you pronounce it like that, your opinion on the subject (don't care if we're talking weapons or electric energy or anything else) doesn't matter to me. I also don't care if anyone else calls their aunts ants, but I am an aunt. My myriad of nieces and nephews respect that, my sisters and I are all aunts.

Back
Top Bottom