Lock out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babetoo

Chef Extraordinaire
well , tested the new security measures today. locked myself out of house. all other windows are to high without ladder. this one looks out across front porch.

handyman put two locks on it since break in.

i got in about an hour, plus the window broke. a thief would have a big problem with the time factor. can you break into your own house?? think i will hide a key. :ohmy:

i got in about an hour, plus the window broke. a thief would have a big problem with the time factor. can you break into your own house??

Sure, I can definitely break into my own house within 30 seconds by breaking a window, for instance.........even less time by kicking in the front or side entry door.
I should, but I don't have a security system in our home, although there's a private security patrol vehicle that drives through our street twice daily....but what good is that?

What I have is in our attached garage I have conservative talk radio turned on and set at a moderate volume 24/7. This could be heard outside from the driveway and hopelfully the power of conservative talk radio will drive most people away who have no business approaching the house.

Awww poor babe, what next sheesh!

I did a similar thing this week except I locked my keys in my car, good thing we were at home but it took the locksmith almost 45 mins to get in my car, because it has 2 seperate alarms and the second one will continue to relock the car the second you unlock it.....plus when we finally got the door open (I had to help him) we couldn't get it to start, it was on complete lock down! So 108.00 dollars later all was well. To top it all off the car wasn't even locked initially I had accidentally locked it when I was trying to get my keychain to chirp to look for my keys.....I thought my little one had hidden them. Oh well you live and learn, and some lessons are just more exspensive than others!

I keep 2 keys hidden for the front door, which looks out on neighbor's house. (Plus my father-9 miles away-has a key) Have never used the kitchen door as an entry as the driveway is on the livingroom side and the door has a key, but the porch screen door does not and is alway locked. As the kitchen door has 12 small panes of glass in the top 1/2 of door it's a key to unlock from inside also. The windows you'd need at least a 4' ladder and have to break the panes as they are locked year-round.
We have so many snowbirds and for sale (3 years, some of them, since hurricane Wilma) houses that are empty 9 months or year round, it would be so stupid for anyone to try an occupied one.
Plus, I have an old sign on the door I found at a website -I'll have to find & copy, which I want to replace with your better sign about "not calling 911".
My alarm is weiner dog. He's almost as good as the ducks I had up north.

Here's the sign I have.
Maybe it doesn't scare anyone, but they maybe leave me along because of their sense of humor?????

I can't believe those thugs are still influencing your day to day comfort and sense of security. Sorry for your hard time, babetoo. Good Luck.
I've had AAA for my vehicle since 1989 and sometimes think someone should come up with the same for home.

I certainly can break into my house. But I'm not telling YOU how. lol. I have locked myself out (and my son in) twice. I was quite embarrassed to call the locksmith the second time.

There's a show on Discovery Channel, where two reformed burglars will go and "burglarize" someone's house (with the owner's permission), video-taping everything. After the deed, they show the home-owner what they did, how they did it, etc. Everything gets returned.

What the owner doesn't know is that a few weeks later, the guys return, with cameras rolling, and attempt to do the same thing, after the home-owner has installed new security measures. Seeing what the home-owners came up with, or didn't, is always interesting.

Nothing is actually stolen. Everything is above-board.

Our door can lock you out easily........so ACE Hardware was selling these specially washed seashells........they really look authentic and placed an extra key in there......unfortunately when my son and his family came to live with us......the key would be used and not put back.........after buying 3 more keys and those, too, not being placed back in the shell, I placed two outdoors and did not tell him where........he can always contact us to find out where they are.........told him he could buy extra housekeys out of his own pocket from now on.........

:) Living where we live 45 miles from town and a electric gate you need a combination for we don't need to lock our doors and leave our keys in our vehicles. However when we move to town we will need to start locking things up. Of course having a german shepard a 1/2 chow dog and a boxer mix dog for pets doesn't hurt.:LOL: Not to mention an arsenal in the house and no we are not survivalists and no children in the house plus no easy access to any of them.

well , tested the new security measures today. locked myself out of house. all other windows are to high without ladder. this one looks out across front porch.

handyman put two locks on it since break in.

i got in about an hour, plus the window broke. a thief would have a big problem with the time factor. can you break into your own house?? think i will hide a key. :ohmy:
:) Babe just be sure to not hide key in obvious places like the door mat or above door etc. I think hiding it away from house or even at the neighbors is safer

Here's the sign I have.
Maybe it doesn't scare anyone, but they maybe leave me along because of their sense of humor?????

I can't believe those thugs are still influencing your day to day comfort and sense of security. Sorry for your hard time, babetoo. Good Luck.
I've had AAA for my vehicle since 1989 and sometimes think someone should come up with the same for home.

yes it is a bummer. i locked myself out all by my self. keep key in certain spot in my purse. i put the purse in a cabinet instead of leaving out on table , etc. it tipped over evidently and the keys fell out. found them after i broke in. my granddaughter was due here any minute, so i waited a while figuring she could help me or we could call my son (has key) on her cell.
called my son's home phone on neighbors phone. didn't know his cell off top of my head so he was no help. and no memory of granddaughters numbers. so made the decision to break in. no one neighbor came out to see what was what and the glass made a big noise. expensive , fifty dollars for new glass. we got it done now just have to figure out how to install.

not too worried, will just lock dead bolt on slider into the puter room. :wacko:

Locked myself out of my car and home during a blizzard, back when I lived in Omaha. Tried to break a window, then tried to smash in a door. Seems the guy who owned the house previously installed Lexan in all the windows and wood covered steel doors and frames. Locksmith, 2 hours later, $150, lesson learned, keys well hidden.........

Locked myself out of my car and home during a blizzard, back when I lived in Omaha. Tried to break a window, then tried to smash in a door. Seems the guy who owned the house previously installed Lexan in all the windows and wood covered steel doors and frames. Locksmith, 2 hours later, $150, lesson learned, keys well hidden.........

did you feel stupid? i sure did. especially when the glass shattered. also felt very frustrated trying to get in. :ROFLMAO:

Worse than stupid, Babe . . . Frozen! 15 degrees and high winds, tons of smow. Had to walk about a mile to a tavern that was open so I could call AAA. Got the keys out of my locked car, then I could get in the house. Never did that again, I can tell you. Ever try to break a Lexan window? It laughs at hammers!

my bigfoot tall son who locked hiimself out of the backdoor (oh didn't we find a key in the seashell?) took a hammer and literally tried to break the glass window in the door and it bounced back every single time........he was amazed........lucky for him his wife got home early to let him in

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom