"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-24-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Lock out

well , tested the new security measures today. locked myself out of house. all other windows are to high without ladder. this one looks out across front porch.

handyman put two locks on it since break in.

i got in about an hour, plus the window broke. a thief would have a big problem with the time factor. can you break into your own house?? think i will hide a key.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post

i got in about an hour, plus the window broke. a thief would have a big problem with the time factor. can you break into your own house??
Sure, I can definitely break into my own house within 30 seconds by breaking a window, for instance.........even less time by kicking in the front or side entry door.
I should, but I don't have a security system in our home, although there's a private security patrol vehicle that drives through our street twice daily....but what good is that?

What I have is in our attached garage I have conservative talk radio turned on and set at a moderate volume 24/7. This could be heard outside from the driveway and hopelfully the power of conservative talk radio will drive most people away who have no business approaching the house.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Awww poor babe, what next sheesh!

I did a similar thing this week except I locked my keys in my car, good thing we were at home but it took the locksmith almost 45 mins to get in my car, because it has 2 seperate alarms and the second one will continue to relock the car the second you unlock it.....plus when we finally got the door open (I had to help him) we couldn't get it to start, it was on complete lock down! So 108.00 dollars later all was well. To top it all off the car wasn't even locked initially I had accidentally locked it when I was trying to get my keychain to chirp to look for my keys.....I thought my little one had hidden them. Oh well you live and learn, and some lessons are just more exspensive than others!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I keep 2 keys hidden for the front door, which looks out on neighbor's house. (Plus my father-9 miles away-has a key) Have never used the kitchen door as an entry as the driveway is on the livingroom side and the door has a key, but the porch screen door does not and is alway locked. As the kitchen door has 12 small panes of glass in the top 1/2 of door it's a key to unlock from inside also. The windows you'd need at least a 4' ladder and have to break the panes as they are locked year-round.
We have so many snowbirds and for sale (3 years, some of them, since hurricane Wilma) houses that are empty 9 months or year round, it would be so stupid for anyone to try an occupied one.
Plus, I have an old sign on the door I found at a website -I'll have to find & copy, which I want to replace with your better sign about "not calling 911".
My alarm is weiner dog. He's almost as good as the ducks I had up north.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Here's the sign I have.
Maybe it doesn't scare anyone, but they maybe leave me along because of their sense of humor?????

I can't believe those thugs are still influencing your day to day comfort and sense of security. Sorry for your hard time, babetoo. Good Luck.
I've had AAA for my vehicle since 1989 and sometimes think someone should come up with the same for home.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
Executive Chef

lol Quicksilver!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
Sous Chef

I certainly can break into my house. But I'm not telling YOU how. lol. I have locked myself out (and my son in) twice. I was quite embarrassed to call the locksmith the second time.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Its all a learning process - getting new things - I'm glad you got this security now though, your story scared me.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #9
Executive Chef

There's a show on Discovery Channel, where two reformed burglars will go and "burglarize" someone's house (with the owner's permission), video-taping everything. After the deed, they show the home-owner what they did, how they did it, etc. Everything gets returned.

What the owner doesn't know is that a few weeks later, the guys return, with cameras rolling, and attempt to do the same thing, after the home-owner has installed new security measures. Seeing what the home-owners came up with, or didn't, is always interesting.

Nothing is actually stolen. Everything is above-board.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #10
Executive Chef

It scares me how quickly I can break into my house!