"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-27-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Locking out my cat (sadly)

I have a 7 year old darling cat that I love to have sleep next to me in bed (even if BF doesn't love it so much).

But as he gets older (the cat) he is getting needier and louder (as cats do). He has this bad habit of jumping all over my head and face and slobbering all over me in the middle of the night. And he'll tromp across our chests and lay down right on my chest and stare in my face purring crazy loud ...like that demon cat from the movie where the cat could suck out your soul... at 1:00 and 4:00 am precisely. And sometimes he paws at my closed eyelids like, "Open your dang eyes, woman."

I had locks installed on my bedroom doors today. They never used to close completely. There are 2 points of entry into the master BR and so I know Buster will try to bang his head against both doors all night. Does anyone have any experience with teaching an old cat new tricks? Advice appreciated for weening the kitty out of the boudoir.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:45 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Here's proof that he was going to be a mischievous one from his first year:

PS There is a pretty wild story that goes with this pic, but I'll save it for after we attend to issue #1!!

Old 06-28-2008, 12:01 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Has he had a major change in his regular routine? He must be missing something to need to be so attached. I'm sure he is trying to tell you something.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:04 AM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBurgh View Post
Here's proof that he was going to be a mischievous one from his first year:

PS There is a pretty wild story that goes with this pic, but I'll save it for after we attend to issue #1!!
There are no pictures here!
Old 06-28-2008, 12:05 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Too funny, my almost two year old kitty can't stand to see me sleep past 6 a.m. or so. She takes her paw the gently taps my face, or nips at any of my exposed skin to get a rise out of me. It drives me bonkers. But if I shut the door she jumps on it making such a racket that I can't sleep either way. She is such a gentle old soul. Very loving and quiet girl. For some reason she just wants me to rise and shine.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:48 AM   #6
Executive Chef

One of my cats does almost the same thing. He's young but he likes to wake me up in the night to do things for him. He hates it when the boys close their bedroom doors - actually he hates all closed doors. But at night he likes to make the rounds, sleeping for a while in everyone's bed. If someone has closed their door, he will come and jump on me, touch my face with his paw and meow until I open my eyes and the leap off the bed and run madly to the offending closed door. Or if the upstairs water bowl is low or has a piece of catfood in it, he does the same thing. I had to finally start locking him out of my room and it took a while but eventually, he stopped trying to get in if it was closed. But still, if I get up to go to the bathroom, he dashes under my bed and waits for me to go to sleep to start the whole thing again.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:48 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

our maine coon anounces the morning like a rooster. well, a rooster that sounds like a hungry cat. he growls and moans, getting louder and louder until someone gets up and puts out a can or two.

if we don't, then he joins in on the cat races. they stat chasing each other around, purposely jumping up and bounding over the bed, racing into the living room, then back around the circuit into the bedroom again.
if cat nails ripping into your skin doesn't wake you up, i don't know what will.

jill, we've tried to lock the doors, but they have just shredded the door jam and carpet in spots trying to get in. so we've just given in.
no doors are ever closed that long in our house with a furry little inquisitor checking out the situation and complaining about it.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:59 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

my cat, thomas thinks he is an alarm clock. he will leave me alone til about nine. then he tells me to get up. paws my face, climbs over me or gets right in my face and lays down.

i yelled a lot and that did no good. so now i just pet him a bit and he goes back to sleep.

he is very smart. he used to follow everytime i got up. now he seems to know i won't stay up and just sits on bed and waits.

babe
Old 06-28-2008, 08:24 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

We often have to lock out cats out of our room at night. Our mischievous cat will knock everything off our dressers, eat anything that will fit in his mouth, and just cause general loud trouble. My good cat will nuzzle up to my face, but that means his butt is right in DW's face. She does not dig that. We end up locking them downstairs ( by their food and litter) because if we just closed our bedroom door they would scratch at the door all night.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:43 AM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Buckytom - My labs do that as well. Bear puts his head and front paws on the bed and wags his tail shaking the whole bed. If that doesn't work, he comes and gets you on the bed. When you give up and go to the couch, he and Liam walk or chase around in circles till you get up and feed them. At 85# a throw a lab on your chest will definately get you up.

AC