"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-30-2005, 06:12 PM   #1
Everymom

Locks of Love

I read about someone donating their hair to Locks of Love just recently...htc? was that you?

My daughter has been planning on doing this for some time, and we just went to have it done today. OMG. I could just cry. I am sooooo upset. The woman who cut my daughters hair did a hatchet job! Her hair was waist length or longer and it is now just under her ears! I should have just done it myself, but I thought this would be more professional.

Kate is a dancer and has to wear her hair in a bun for ballet. We intentionally waited until her hair was long enough that when she cut it we could still pull it back into a bun. Well there is no hope of THAT now. I am just praying it will grow fast before September so we can maybe get it into a bun by then. ARGH!

Having said all that, I am so proud of her for donating her hair. I was hoping she would do it again sometime in the future, but I think this has put her off for a repeat performance. CRAP!!!

Old 06-30-2005, 06:16 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CookinBlondie Send a message via MSN to CookinBlondie Send a message via Yahoo to CookinBlondie
I don't know how well it works, but I have heard of people using what is called "horse's mane" to make their hair grow fast. I don't know if that really works or not, but hey, it's worth a try. WARNIGN: STEAR CLEAR OF EYEBROWS, ARMS, AND FACE! LoL

Old 06-30-2005, 06:21 PM   #3
Everymom

Thanks CookinBlondie. I may have to look into that! Wonder where you find it?
Old 06-30-2005, 06:23 PM   #4
Head Chef

Alix, that's great that your daughter is interested in donating her hair. Is it so short that she can't even cut it to any kind of style?

I hope she doesn't feel too badly, she did a really nice thing.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:26 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CookinBlondie Send a message via MSN to CookinBlondie Send a message via Yahoo to CookinBlondie
Well, I found some at Orcheln's. (sp?) It's a farm and lawn store. You could also probably find some at PetCo or something like that.

Oh! I just remembered something! I went into Sally Beauty Supply, and they had some there too.

Good Luck!
-Lauren-

P.S> I had my hair at my ears once, and it looked good. So, look for the good in it. Everything happens for a reason! It'll be okay.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:30 PM   #6
Everymom

It looks OK. She doesn't look as though someone did it with a weedwhacker. I am just ticked that it looks the way it does. It should have been a nice blunt cut just below her shoulders. I tidied it up some once we got home, but we are in serious kaka as far as dance goes. It is so layered there is no hope of putting it up at all for a LONG time.

Thanks for the support guys. I needed to vent a bit. Feeling a bit better now.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:33 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Hmm........let me think........well, if you could put it up a little bit, you could buy a fake bun to put in. They have llittle pins that they attach with. I don't know how well that would work, or if it would stay up while dancing, but that's what's all I can think of. Good luck!

-Lauren-
Old 06-30-2005, 06:48 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
alix i'm so sorry a "professional" did that to your daughter's hair. i'd have demanded my money back or something. as far as the horse mane n' tail shampoo i've used it and it doesn't make your hair grown any faster than any other shampoo will so don't waste your money on it. something that WILL make your hair grow fast though is pre-natal vitamins. i think you can even get those otc now. try those instead of the shampoo.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:57 PM   #9
Everymom

middie, thanks. The real joke was that the cut is FREE because you are donating the hair. Argh.

I think we are going to have to invest in that super glue type gel to get her hair up for dance.

I don't think that she can take prenatal vitamins as she is preadolescent. Thanks for the thought though.

We will just let it grow itself out and be thankful that her hair grows quickly normally.

Sigh. I was so shocked when I saw it I just couldn't say anything to the "stylist".
Old 06-30-2005, 07:15 PM   #10
Master Chef

good for your daughter for having such a big heart that she'd be willing to give up her hair for someone else.
too bad they didn't do thier best on her hair. i'd be mad.
i lost a lot of hair when i got way too skinny. it all just pretty much stopped growing, too.
but when they prescribed me protein powder my hair started growing in beautifully. nice and shiny, too.
the kind of protein powder i take is a medical kind, but you can get over-the- counter brands at health and nutrition stores.
otherwise, if you don't want to go that route, maybe you could get her some hair wax and bobby pins and smooth it into at least a little ponytail.