Locks of Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
I read about someone donating their hair to Locks of Love just recently...htc? was that you?

My daughter has been planning on doing this for some time, and we just went to have it done today. OMG. I could just cry. I am sooooo upset. The woman who cut my daughters hair did a hatchet job! Her hair was waist length or longer and it is now just under her ears! I should have just done it myself, but I thought this would be more professional.

Kate is a dancer and has to wear her hair in a bun for ballet. We intentionally waited until her hair was long enough that when she cut it we could still pull it back into a bun. Well there is no hope of THAT now. I am just praying it will grow fast before September so we can maybe get it into a bun by then. ARGH!

Having said all that, I am so proud of her for donating her hair. I was hoping she would do it again sometime in the future, but I think this has put her off for a repeat performance. CRAP!!!

I don't know how well it works, but I have heard of people using what is called "horse's mane" to make their hair grow fast. I don't know if that really works or not, but hey, it's worth a try. WARNIGN: STEAR CLEAR OF EYEBROWS, ARMS, AND FACE! LoL

Alix, that's great that your daughter is interested in donating her hair. Is it so short that she can't even cut it to any kind of style?

I hope she doesn't feel too badly, she did a really nice thing. :)

Well, I found some at Orcheln's. (sp?) It's a farm and lawn store. You could also probably find some at PetCo or something like that.

Oh! I just remembered something! I went into Sally Beauty Supply, and they had some there too.

Good Luck!
-Lauren-

P.S> I had my hair at my ears once, and it looked good. So, look for the good in it. Everything happens for a reason! It'll be okay.

It looks OK. She doesn't look as though someone did it with a weedwhacker. I am just ticked that it looks the way it does. It should have been a nice blunt cut just below her shoulders. I tidied it up some once we got home, but we are in serious kaka as far as dance goes. It is so layered there is no hope of putting it up at all for a LONG time.

Thanks for the support guys. I needed to vent a bit. Feeling a bit better now.

Hmm........let me think........well, if you could put it up a little bit, you could buy a fake bun to put in. They have llittle pins that they attach with. I don't know how well that would work, or if it would stay up while dancing, but that's what's all I can think of. Good luck!

-Lauren-

alix i'm so sorry a "professional" did that to your daughter's hair. i'd have demanded my money back or something. as far as the horse mane n' tail shampoo i've used it and it doesn't make your hair grown any faster than any other shampoo will so don't waste your money on it. something that WILL make your hair grow fast though is pre-natal vitamins. i think you can even get those otc now. try those instead of the shampoo.

middie, thanks. The real joke was that the cut is FREE because you are donating the hair. Argh.

I think we are going to have to invest in that super glue type gel to get her hair up for dance.

I don't think that she can take prenatal vitamins as she is preadolescent. Thanks for the thought though.

We will just let it grow itself out and be thankful that her hair grows quickly normally.

Sigh. I was so shocked when I saw it I just couldn't say anything to the "stylist".

good for your daughter for having such a big heart that she'd be willing to give up her hair for someone else.
too bad they didn't do thier best on her hair. i'd be mad.
i lost a lot of hair when i got way too skinny. it all just pretty much stopped growing, too.
but when they prescribed me protein powder my hair started growing in beautifully. nice and shiny, too.
the kind of protein powder i take is a medical kind, but you can get over-the- counter brands at health and nutrition stores.
otherwise, if you don't want to go that route, maybe you could get her some hair wax and bobby pins and smooth it into at least a little ponytail.

You can find the shampoo, tail and mane in any shampoo section. Walmart has it.
It has a good citrus smell to it. I use the same thing. They also make the conditioner.

Maybe a hair piece would work, if it has not grown out enough by Sept.

You may even find one already in a bun.

hiya alix,

first of all, tell your daughter that we think she's great for her sacrifice. she must be a very special girl. good things come back to people like that.

secondly, i did a little searching, and unfortunately, there's no good way to speed up your hair growth in a healthy way. your instincts are right about the pre-natal vitamins. it could mess up her hormonal development. the only thing you can do is minimize the things that slow hair growth, like keeping your hair and scalp clean and conditioned, eating well and exercising, and reducing stress. the upside is that your hair grows a little faster in the summer, so hopefully she'll have something to work with to attach a fake bun by the fall. look into theatrical supplies. actors and showpeople are always attaching things to their heads (and most of the time it is actually for the show)...

check out these links: http://www.hair-news.com/hair-grow-faster.shtml

http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip214.htm

actors and showpeople are always attaching things to their heads (and most of the time it is actually for the show)...

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I have heard that brushing you hair a lot will help it grown faster. I think it helps with blood flow to the scalp.

For anyone who was wondering though, the pre natal vitamins do work. I took them in college to get my hair and nails to grow faster and I was shocked at how well it worked.

What about some extensions? You can have them put in and then wrap it up. Many actors put them in when they have to change hair styles so fast.

yeah, extensions are an option. but they are expensive and have to be re-done every few months.

Alix said:
Thanks CookinBlondie. I may have to look into that! Wonder where you find it?

I used to use Mane & Tail a horse shampoo, I got it from Wal-Mart. There is also a conditioner but be careful! A little goes a really long way!!

Buckytom's right - there is nothing that will speed up the growth of hair, other than proper nutrition. The prenatals are a definite no-no as well. Just keep fixing her well-balanced meals, give her appropriate daily vitamins, and remind her that what she did was an act of pure generosity.
Do, though, have her use professional products. There's a reason they cost more. They are a better, concentrated product, and aren't watered down like drug store brands. Really.

The salon you went to needs to know you are unhappy and they owe her a fix-up cut. They have no idea you are not pleased, so you need to make them aware of your dissatisfaction. Otherwise, they'll butcher everyone.

I'd buy your daughter a beautiful selection of satin ribbons, each cut to the length of a headband + room for a pretty bow. Have her make that her new trademark over the summer. No doubt, her friends will start copying the "new look". You can even have her embellish them, and have a girlie party where they each get to design their new bows.

Are you sure you just have boys? You sure know girls pretty well. We have already invested in some cool hairbands in every colour of the rainbow.

As far as the salon goes...well, I think I will need to wait a while before contacting them. There are too many sharp implements available to make my point.

Back
Top Bottom