"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-07-2005, 10:00 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyj
I heard the news while getting ready for work - just awful. Ishbel, I'm glad your daughter is okay, and hopefully all will be well with her/your friends and family. I have family in London too, and I've been trying to contact them. On the news here, it shows that the police are directing traffic and that London streets are quiet right now - it's not as chaotic as one would think, no doubt due to good response by the city and the police and emergency services. -Sandy
Sandy, I hope your friends and family are ok... the mobile phone networks are at a standstill, so it is difficult to get info quickly.

The reason that the police and emergency services work so well is that unfortunately, London has had 30 plus years of terrorist attacks on which to base their response. I lived in London at the height of the IRA bombing campaigns, so my heart goes out to the people there.

At first it was thought that this might be because of London being awarded the 2012 Olympics, but now Arab spokespersons from, I believe, Al Jazeera, say that a splinter group, close to AlQuaeda have claimed responsibility. We shall have to wait and see.

Thanks for everyone's comments. It is not just England that is affected by this - the British Isles are so small that all the countries of the UK have relatives in London....

Old 07-07-2005, 10:15 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Thoughts & prayers - more

Thanks Ishbel, for your reply. I did just get hold of one of my family, so far so good. Some friends who were commuting are stuck trying to get home, and some we haven't heard from, but so far no bad news. This is all so senseless. We live in an area where a lot of people commute to New York City; people all over this area lost friends and loved ones on Sept. 11th. It's still very raw. It's horrible to see it happening again.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:21 AM   #13
Executive Chef

A dear friend (Spanish) had a young nephew who was badly injured in the Madrid bombing last year -he lost an arm and both legs - and now has problems with his sight.

How can we stop this sort of thing? I have no idea...
Old 07-07-2005, 10:22 AM   #14
Master Chef

Ishbel, I thought of you immediately when I heard the news.
I'm glad you and yours are safe.

It's difficult for me to comprehend the hatred that these people have for us, but we must not be defeated by it. In the end, it will eat them alive, and they will be destroyed by their own evil minds.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:35 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Constance
As my Jewish friends would say

'From your lips to God's ears'.. BBC reports saying estimated 30 dead and many hundreds injured - but that is only estimated fatalities.

Following was on the BBC website a moment ago. I have been told by American friends that the BBC sites are almost totally at a standstill due to the heavy number of overseas hits.

"Statement claiming London attacks

The BBC has located an Islamist website that has published a 200-word statement issued by an organisation saying it carried out the London bombings.

The organisation calls itself the Secret Organisation Group of al-Qaeda [literally the base] of Jihad Organisation in Europe.

The group not previously been heard of.

The website has previously carried statements purporting to be from al-Qaeda. It is not possible to verify such claims published on the web.

This is the full text of the statement.

In the name of God, the merciful, the compassionate, may peace be upon the cheerful one and undaunted fighter, Prophet Muhammad, God's peace be upon him.

Nation of Islam and Arab nation: Rejoice for it is time to take revenge against the British Zionist Crusader government in retaliation for the massacres Britain is committing in Iraq and Afghanistan. The heroic mujahideen have carried out a blessed raid in London. Britain is now burning with fear, terror and panic in its northern, southern, eastern, and western quarters.

We have repeatedly warned the British Government and people. We have fulfilled our promise and carried out our blessed military raid in Britain after our mujahideen exerted strenuous efforts over a long period of time to ensure the success of the raid. We continue to warn the governments of Denmark and Italy and all the Crusader governments that they will be punished in the same way if they do not withdraw their troops from Iraq and Afghanistan. He who warns is excused. God says: "You who believe: If ye will aid (the cause of) Allah, He will aid you, and plant your feet firmly."

Old 07-07-2005, 11:02 AM   #16
Everymom

Ishbel, my prayers are that you and yours will stay safe. How awful.

Has anyone heard from Kyles? I am a bit worried about her, she travels by train everyday. Kyles, post if you see this.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:07 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Alix
Kyles lives a long way from London, so I would think she's safe.

But with the riots in Edinburgh, and now Gleneagles and this atrocity..... it all takes the gloss off London winning the 2012 Olympics
Old 07-07-2005, 11:16 AM   #18
Everymom

No kidding.

Thanks for relieving my mind about Kyles, Ishbel. I thought she travelled into London to work. Glad that isn't the case.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:01 PM   #19
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I'm fine!!! I came straight on here when I had a chance, as I knew you would all think of me!!! I live and work in Manchester which is 200 miles away.

Of course, it is very very sad, and prayers and thoughts are with all those affected. It just brings September 11 back again doesn't it.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:06 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
kyles i thought you were closer to london too. glad to see you're okay.
yes... sadly it does bring back 9-11 all over again. i still don't understand
"why".